It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ways the UK can save money:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is for the UK.

Ok Our dear leaders want to make more cuts, cuts that will affect the lower classes and not them.

Well I think we can do better.

I want a list of areas to cut or save money. Rules are to avoid hurting vulnerable UK citizens and to post estimated savings.

Il start:

Cut money to Brussels: After Rebates that's £8billion savings source

Cut money to India: That will save £293 million, they can afford rockets and aircraft carries now they can afford to go it alone

Cut money to China: Save £3 million, WTF China? Why are we giving the 2nd biggest world economy money?

Cut money to south africa: £26 Million. Come on south African is the Richest African nation!

Cut money to zimbawe: £46 million. Seeing as there leadership are always denouncing the UK why are we giving them money?

Cut money to vietnam: £19 Million. Ok they are not rich but certainly not destitute and have a growing economy

Cut money to Pakistan: £197 million, They have nukes! If you can afford nukes you can afford to go without foreign aid!

Source for foreign aid

Stop the war on drugs: £14 Billion Source

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The bit i was most interested in was stopping small but wealthy companys avoiding tax, its been tried before and i realize that company's may simply move to another country depending on what they - thus effecting jobs in the uK.

Some of these companys can legally cut their tax to just a few percent of profit while their work force all pay 20%+.

From your posts, yes we really do support some crazy rich country's, not getting our noses where they arnt wanted into every war all the time would save money and lives too.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The only problem is we all know it's not Aid in anyway.

Back handers more like it.

What about the Cheap ass sale of the royal mail. sold it quick before they lost the chance again while in power.
lost billions on that deal.

Dirty Tories.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
am brushing up on some ideas , here;s a radical one just for now that always gets a reaction

why are people that are on benefits AND able to work not doing jobs for the country? u know , painting fences , picking up litter , just something even if its 2 days a week to contribute to the society that is rightly supporting them.

something to get them out and benefit the country that is paying for it all...

we always get into murky ground as is this slave labor?

perhaps they could do something that generates income for the benefits system? so much manpower going to waste imho.

surely this would generate or save some money?

also the 45 billion a year on interest alone should def be looked at ...
edit on 29/9/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: added a thought

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Learn to make money out of our resources and assets (Invented Graphene, not the world market leader - Shale oil may be going to French company)
Legalise, regulate and tax cannabis, ecstacy and prostitution.
Financial Transaction Tax.
Hydraulic Fracturing (it's controversial but there's definitely money and employment there)
Prosecute Corrupt Bankers or Insider Traders (who can cost billions of pounds).
Close every tax haven loophole.

Just a few ideas.

Sorry, just read the title. My ideas were more about making money rather than saving money. Still they could both go together ha!

edit on 29-9-2014 by twfau because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Mmmmm, saving taxpayer money?

How about we outsource the government to India?
We'd still get some corrupt buggers no doubt, but we'd save a packet on salaries and benefits to start with!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Slash benefits for a start.

Driving past the local BMW garage, illuminated ad stating "Your way to BMW ownership - Mobility" like wtf? If you're having a car on the state it's a Hyundai Getz or Daewoo Matiz maximum

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Cut expenes and bonuses for MP's.

The poor needs that money more than those people.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on Monday00vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 29 Sep 2014 11:00:19 -0500Mondayam29 by liverlad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
Slash benefits for a start.

Driving past the local BMW garage, illuminated ad stating "Your way to BMW ownership - Mobility" like wtf? If you're having a car on the state it's a Hyundai Getz or Daewoo Matiz maximum

Rules are to avoid hurting vulnerable UK citizens and to post estimated savings.

Think you missed the thread rules.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: liverlad
Cut expenes and bonuses for MP's.

The poor needs that money more than those people.

thats not where they make their money m8,

mp's wages are pitiful when compared to comparable professions, expenses are already heavily watched..

I suggest a pay rise! ( to attract people in the field who are experts!) BUT no lobbying allowed anymore, not allowed to sit on the board of any companies AND your final pay will be performance related.. country does well , your pay package is good, country does bad and the percentage loss will impact your wage by the same amount.

Maybe they will start doing good things then.

edit on 29/9/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

Really?

If high pay attracted high quality then why the hell did the finial collapse of 2007 happen? surely our high paid and skilled bankers should have prevented that!

Plus £65K a Year pitifully? Most Brits would love to be on £65K a year!!!!!

Id tie MP wages to the UK national advantage!

If they do well they get paid well (ish) if they do badly they get paid badly.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I usally agree with all oyur posts but you're talking pennies on the £50 note here.

There's no point depriving developing countries and impoverished people from much needed aid when we could:

Save £53Bn per year by collecting tax from multi-national companies that currently dodge paying tax
Save £78 Bn by stopping PPP/PFI and NHS privatisation
Save £50Bn by scrapping Trident as we have no need for it
Save £6Bn by scrapping grants to landed gentry in return for them not growing food on their land
Save £1Bn per year by stopping subsidising the UK arms industry

Just a tiny fraction of the hundreds of billions that are transferred from the taxpayer to the super-rich and why austerity is a right wing myth of the super rich.
edit on 29-9-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
The bit i was most interested in was stopping small but wealthy companys avoiding tax, its been tried before and i realize that company's may simply move to another country depending on what they - thus effecting jobs in the uK.

Some of these companys can legally cut their tax to just a few percent of profit while their work force all pay 20%+.

From your posts, yes we really do support some crazy rich country's, not getting our noses where they arnt wanted into every war all the time would save money and lives too.

That's because the same people who write tax law in the UK (FSA/FSO) are the same people who sit on the boards or accounts of the same companies.

In the case of Amazon, they charge buyers 20% VAT but only pay 2% as they're registered in Luxembourg for tax purposes. Instant 18% profit from doing no work.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

There's no point depriving developing countries and impoverished people from much needed aid when we could:

Really?

Please tell me why China the worlds second biggest economy needs foreign aid? Or India and Pakistan that can afford space programs and nuclear weapons?

No Im not for stopping all foreign aid but the above country's make a joke of it and then you have examples such as this.

Im sure we could cut a good £1 billion of the foreign aid budget.
edit on 29-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

There are major abuses of the spending which need tightening up on but both countries still use child slave labour and clean water is still a luxury for most - which is what such packages should be used to prevent instead of being used to buy weapons (which is what currently happens the majority of the time).
edit on 29-9-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Those country have more than enough money to combat said problems.

It miss spending that causes the issues.

That is NOT something the UK can sort out.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We had this system until a few years ago. it worked but then the lefties got in and started paying for people to sit on their arses all day! sorry i started paying for people to sit on their arses. i would go one further and its bound to cause trouble but i wouldnt give benefits to familys with more than 2 kids. why should i work my tits off when they can sit at home spewing out kids to get more dole. what sort of role model are the parents? if you want more than 2 kids get off your arse and support them a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

You do realise MP's don't set their own salaries, don't you Ewok? It's an independent panel of experts who set it in line with comparable vocations and, it has to be said, other Politicians around Europe and the world. I'm not sure you realise just how much work is involved in being an MP, you know. They don't just sit around for a couple of hours a week jeering at the other side of the house, then all go for whiskey and cigars....

As for the whole "cutting for lower classes and not them", the "middle" and "upper" classes have already been through their round of benefits cuts (and actual cuts as in benefit removed, not just freezes) yet I don't remember you leaping to our defence then? As mentioned before, I've lost £1500 a year just through tax credits being taken alone, not to mention Child Benefit cuts now my partner is working (and not on a great deal).

It all seems a bit lop-sided, you indignation of the Budget proposals.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Haven't those VAT rules changed now, so that VAT has to be paid in the country of sale, not the country of registration?

Here we go, the rules have been changed

Its all very well people complaining about the tax rules etc, but people seem to think that these changes can happen overnight and that if we simply did it in the UK alone, without international agreement, that everything would be fine. It takes time to sort out new legislation and working with international partners makes sure that companies find it harder to escape the new rules.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join