It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Recent Helicopter Movements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Not an aviation project really but couldn't think where else to put it.

I am at work in Reading, Berkshire and we just had a formation of heavy helicopters pass low overhead (14:20), consisting of 4 Merlins, 2 Sea Kings, a Chinnok at the rear and a Puma circling around them - camera ship at a guess.

Last Thursday afternoon there were 2 low flypasts by 4 Merlins, not sure if it was the same group of 4 each time. Then, on Friday morning, more low formations by a group of 2 Merlins and a Sea King, followed a short time later by 4 Merlins and a Sea king.

Anyone know of any special events happening close to Reading?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Was supposedly a Chinook out helping police around Luton a week or so ago after a group of "Asian" men were seen scoping the aircraft on the flighpath into Luton airport. With what was claimed to be a laser range finding type piece of equipment?

was also a story of police closing parts of the Old Kent Road around London after a car was spotted with what was claimed to be part of a missile targeting equipment inside it. this story also made it into one of the local rags,

www.southwarknews.co.uk...

Given the Inhabitants of Reading and it's proximity to Heathrow makes you wonder if something similar was going on?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

All of the overflights last Thursday, Friday and this afternoon have all been tight(ish) formation flying and today's formation had a Puma flying circles around them a little higher with both doors open, that's why I thought it was probably filming them.
Don't think it's anything untoward, just wondered if anyone else had seem them and knew what they were doing.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

Give the reports cited, perhaps the flotillas were an attempt to draw fire from the supposed terrorist with the supposed equipment? Better to attempt that than to let a commercial a/c take the blow.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
i don't live to far from there and it is not unusual to see military helos out n about even the odd Apache.
but i have not seen a formation like that here ever.
usually singles or the odd pair but never a formation.

touching on the targeting of flight paths.
i an astounded no fruit loop has not tried to take a pop at the very busy approaches to LHR ( London Heathrow)
there is an almost constant stream of various civil AC passing in and out of there and there are numerous roads
and lay-bys that cross directly beneath the glide slopes giving targets you could hit with an air gun never mind
a shoulder launched or vehicle mounted rocket of some sort.
i prey it never happens because the results would be utter carnage if an outbound craft were to be hit
on the west bound departure it would bring it down right on top of the very busy M25
orbital motorway/freeway where it is ten lanes wide and usually packed with slow moving traffic
its a nightmare scenario and i am astonished at how little (obvious) policing of the area there seems to be
from experience i have parked my van in a lay-by there for a break drink n a smoke with airliners passing
at less than 400 feet above my head every minute or so and none batted an eye.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
notaminfo.com...

H4652/14: Exercises will take place
Q) EGTT/QWELW/IV/BO/AW/000/024/5137N00106W007

AIR EXER. UP TO 8 ACFT WILL CONDUCT TACTICAL FORMATION FLYING WI
7NM RADIUS 513658N 0010544W (RAF BENSON). ACFT MAY BE RESTRICTED IN
MANOUEVRE AND UNABLE TO COMPLY WITH RULES OF THE AIR. OPS CTC 01491
827015. 14-09-0521/AS4

LOWER: Surface, UPPER: 2,400 Feet AMSL
FROM: 25 Sep 2014 12:00 GMT (13:00 BST) TO: 30 Sep 2014 14:30 GMT (15:30 BST)

I think thats your answer.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Thanks for that.

Not sure about "tactical formation flying", unless they often carry out landing while keeping nice tight formations!

The Puma buzzing around them filming it (I think) made it look more like a photo op or flypast practice for some event.

As the notification is active until today at 15:30, I wonder if we'll more today?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Did a bit more digging and found some more info.

It's the disbandment ceremony of 78 Squadron today at RAF Benson and the handing over of the Merlins to the Royal Navy. That explains them flying in formation with the Sea Kings, which they will be joining on the RN fleet.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Glad someone is still doing research out there - well done guys!

new topics

top topics

join