It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Osborne proposes two year benefits freeze

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
...and never once, to this day, got a loan/grant/credit card.

And your bloody lucky.

For my idea and skill set I needed to raise Capital!

God not everyone is the same you know. Everyone has different skills and ideas. Not everyone is going to be able to pull a business idea from there arse and start it for free.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

But, ewok, assessing each case individually would probably cost even more!

Not to mention the paper work....

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
I don't see how that post even comes close to "typifying" anything, Freeborn. If anything, uforb was promoting people to actually get off their arses and go look for work, not sit around complaining there is "no work in (insert town)"

Just so we are absolutely clear... where the heck is Insert town?

Korg.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

And this way of thinking is why you won't be running your own business.

If you had basic reading comprehension you would have read that I do!

Perhaps if you were to have an enterprising idea and could prove it to be profitable, someone may invest!

I did and yes I did get investors. And that took TIME. Time.......time were I had to rely on benefits to get me through.

That's what I did... started wit zip... raised £250k to start a business.... I had exactly nothing other than my noodle to work with!

Read above.

And in the last few years investors and loans are far far harder to come by. Just getting £10K was like bleeding a stone.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Oh how i wish for another Clement Attlee to come along.

A man of The People and for The People.

The greatest Prime Minister that the people of Britain has ever elected.

Sometimes you have to think what is the good for the country before you think of what is good for the people. otherwise there is no country for the people to enjoy!

Korg.

edit on 29-9-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Apparently, up North somewhere with a big industrial estate and no jobs....

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

But, ewok, assessing each case individually would probably cost even more!

Not to mention the paper work....

It not hard to just employ people to use common sense when making said decisions?

It not hard to work out quickly if said move is cost effective and if there is demand in said area.
I could do that in a few minutes. Just compare old rent to proposed new rent and look at the areas housing demand.

If the person in the council office cant do that simple maths and be abe to know that simple information about the area in which they are working in then I say fire the incompetent fool and replace them by one of the many unemployed uni students, preferably one with a degree in maths.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Apparently, up North somewhere with a big industrial estate and no jobs....

If you read what uforb was saying he was suggesting British Citizens piss off and move country's....

Im all for moving to find work but not telling people move country's.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And this way of thinking is why you won't be running your own business.

If you had basic reading comprehension you would have read that I do!

Perhaps if you were to have an enterprising idea and could prove it to be profitable, someone may invest!

I did and yes I did get investors. And that took TIME. Time.......time were I had to rely on benefits to get me through.

That's what I did... started wit zip... raised £250k to start a business.... I had exactly nothing other than my noodle to work with!

Read above.

And in the last few years investors and loans are far far harder to come by. Just getting £10K was like bleeding a stone.

I think it is you who lacks comprehension... my response was to one line of your post...

And it is no more difficult today than it was before. No respectable business person with money to invest would turn you down if they could see a true return on their capital. There is no difference in initial sum when it comes to investment opportunities. The only difference you will find in sum value for initial investment is linked to the risk factor of investing.

If you pitched correctly with straight down the line figures withholding nothing and can show a healthy ROI, it would be as easy to get 10 million invested as it would be 10k.

Korg.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I've had the pleasure of working with people in Reading Borough Council and let's just say there is a reason they are employed by the council - because they are usually poorly motivated and unemployable in the private sector, with a penchant for bureaucracy. I'm sure this doesn't apply across the board, but I saw a whole department of morons rigidly enforcing Council policy with little regard to the people they were supposed to serve.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Probably here in Workington, it went from one of the biggest industrial towns in the UK, with British Steel employing the largest share of workers, to almost nothing (Thank you Mrs Thatcher), if it wasn't for Sellafield we'd be knackered in this community...and even that's slowly on its way out.

I think self employment is the way forward, we have become too dependant on large global firms for employment....one only has to look at the 80's and now...hardly any local electrical shops because everyone goes to Currys, hardly any greengrocers because the likes of Tesco forced them out....

ANYBODY can become self employed (sorry Ewok, I stand firm on this point), all it takes is motivation.

It didn't take too many little fix it jobs for me to start earning, and then I could buy better equipment, do bigger jobs, and in the first year I didn't even have to pay tax (didn't make enough)....once reputation starts growing, you start to reap the benefits and can afford even better equipment, and even the odd luxury, lol.

edit on 29/9/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The sentiment was the same - if there is no work where you live, don't sit around crying about it, get off your arse and go look. After all, isn't it what all those nasty immigrants do we love to complain about?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I've had the pleasure of working with people in Reading Borough Council and let's just say there is a reason they are employed by the council - because they are usually poorly motivated and unemployable in the private sector, with a penchant for bureaucracy. I'm sure this doesn't apply across the board, but I saw a whole department of morons rigidly enforcing Council policy with little regard to the people they were supposed to serve.

Absobloodylutely!

You only need to walk into any jobcentre around the country and observe who is working there. These people must have half the countries stock of anti depressants in their possession!

Perhaps this is why they work so hard to make their clients feel soooo small?

Korg.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Oh, it was an active industrial estate with active companies. She just couldn't find a job amongst them, for whatever reason (education, suitability etc)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Most banks wont touch business start ups.

I had to go to venture capitalists and business start up loan schemes. Most only have so much money to invest and they see hundred or thousands of applicants.

I only needed £10K but it still was a difficult pitch. Especially since I was on ESA and looking for a business to work around my health problem, the business idea was sound, in fact one of the best ideas they heard according to one investor, but my health scared them off.

Maybe the government could help those on disability to start businesses around there health? Far better than leaving them to languish on benefits. I was going insane with boredom and wanted to work! I just needed a job that fitted and I made one. But I did need start up money. How many more on ESA could do the same and end up contributing?

Starting a business is certainly not the solve all option for everyone unemployed.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

And maybe we should shake things up and make such jobs....how can we say? More fluid?

Do your job right or we replace you.

Hell making the public sector more efficient and jobs more completive could very well save money. We could be wasting billions or inefficiency.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The sentiment was the same - if there is no work where you live, don't sit around crying about it, get off your arse and go look. After all, isn't it what all those nasty immigrants do we love to complain about?

a natural born Citizen should not be hounded out the country to find work.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

ANYBODY can become self employed (sorry Ewok, I stand firm on this point), all it takes is motivation.

Im sorry but everyone skill set is different

I had to start a business with my skill set that is in the scientific field and that costs money.

Not everyone has IT or trade skills.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Thank god, the UK, not the US.

If benefits were ever frozen all hell would break loose!

How about the gov't spends those tax dollars wisely instead of punishing those who need it!?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Most banks wont touch business start ups.

I had to go to venture capitalists and business start up loan schemes. Most only have so much money to invest and they see hundred or thousands of applicants.

I only needed £10K but it still was a difficult pitch. Especially since I was on ESA and looking for a business to work around my health problem, the business idea was sound, in fact one of the best ideas they heard according to one investor, but my health scared them off.

Maybe the government could help those on disability to start businesses around there health? Far better than leaving them to languish on benefits. I was going insane with boredom and wanted to work! I just needed a job that fitted and I made one. But I did need start up money. How many more on ESA could do the same and end up contributing?

Starting a business is certainly not the solve all option for everyone unemployed.

My golden rules of raising capital... 1. NEVER GO TO THE BANK and 2. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GO TO A BANK.

The business managers of most banks are themselves on circa £25k pa. these people haven't a clue about how to invest or to see an investment opportunity. They only know how to follow the guidelines set by the bank.

The way to obtain investment is through researching who would likely be the most interesting parties, finding out what they have invested in before and how successful they have been.

Also you have to think laterally.... how your business might have interaction with other businesses held under the umbrella.

I have had many a dealing with Venture capitalists and I agree they can pull the plug faster than a whippet chasing a rabbit. that is because there is no personal investment in the success of the business. This is why choosing the right people to pitch to is ALL important!

Korg.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join