It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-terror laws rob Australians of freedoms ISIS hate, security expert says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

A DISTINGUISHED security expert says extraordinary new powers for our domestic spy agency go too far and have the potential to rob Australians of the very freedoms that terrorists are railing against.
The Senate passed a suite of anti-terror laws last week that give the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) unprecedented power to monitor the entire Australian web essentially with only one warrant. The reforms also contained tough penalties for journalists and whistleblowers, who could be jailed for up to 10 years for “recklessly” disclosing information related to a “special intelligence operation”.

Anti-terror laws rob Australians of freedoms ISIS hate, security expert says

Not much to say except that we are heading in a very scary direction. Is the whole IS/ISIL/ISIS situation the "necessary threat" used by governments around the world to justify restricting our freedoms and eventually ushering in a police state?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I guess terrorism wins then. It has the intended effect.
edit on 29-9-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

I dunno, what do you propose then?

I dont agree with it, but hey, since this is the exactly wrong thing to do, how do you stop some bunch of idiots from plotting to blow up your school, church, football stadium.. or plotting to cut someones head off?

What do you propose?

Terror wins if you try, or if you dont.. I guess.

Me? well I'd be a little more damn extreme.... but then, its not me.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

You do not stop these things. You accept that with liberty comes risk, but that it is still preferable to tyranny, no matter what instigates its creation in your nation.

I would rather die free from such things, than live under such a system. Unfortunately, here in the UK, we do not get to choose our fate. Our political masters do these things for us, and they get it wrong too.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

I dont agree with it, but hey, since this is the exactly wrong thing to do, how do you stop some bunch of idiots from plotting to blow up your school, church, football stadium.. or plotting to cut someones head off?

What do you propose?

well this quote comes to mind...

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

What do you propose?

There's an easy solution. Try something that's never been tried. How about stop supporting the dictatorships in the Middle East that oppress millions? How about stop supplying Israel with weapons to commit genocide and steal land? How about stop bombing their women and children? How about leaving their countries? That is the reason they have stated for threatening us. The West has never done what the terrorists have said would stop their attacks on us. Someone attacks you and tells you why they are attacking and tells you the solution for stopping the attacks and you never adopt this solution. Instead the West doubles down on stupidity. Bombing creates more terrorists. Now the average person in the Middle East supports terrorist groups. Congratulations.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

You go after those who would harm you. No more pussy footing around, no more rules of engagement that hog tie our forces. We find them no matter where they hide and any country that shelters them is considered an enemy to be treated the same as them. We keep after them till they couldn't scare a rabbit. We use their own tactics against them, no more "moral high ground"
We wipe them off the face of the Earth.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost I'm Australian, hasn't and won't rob me of anything. Can't see the difference really. Probably because the laws aren't aimed at me or my family or friends for that matter. I still enjoy my freedom, what's different. I think the laws are aimed at those specifically that deal with terrorism and allow me to maintain my lifestyle. No complaints.

Nothings changed except for those that perhaps have something to fear, hide or want to complain about anything and everything.

Tragic angry people.

Kind regards,

Bally

edit on 29-9-2014 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This image (link) says it all.

Terrorists win.

(Couldn't embed the image.)
edit on 2014 9 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

You go after those who would harm you. No more pussy footing around, no more rules of engagement that hog tie our forces. We find them no matter where they hide and any country that shelters them is considered an enemy to be treated the same as them. We keep after them till they couldn't scare a rabbit. We use their own tactics against them, no more "moral high ground"
We wipe them off the face of the Earth.

But first, figure out who it is that really wants to do you harm. Here in the States, it wasn't a Middle East terror group that passed the Patriot Act.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Darn, just change "Australia" for "US" and welcome to Americas politics, your are just getting a taste of Americas land of the freeeeeee.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: Dark Ghost I'm Australian, hasn't and won't rob me of anything. Can't see the difference really. Probably because the laws aren't aimed at me or my family or friends for that matter. I still enjoy my freedom, what's different. I think the laws are aimed at those specifically that deal with terrorism and allow me to maintain my lifestyle. No complaints.

Nothings changed except for those that perhaps have something to fear, hide or want to complain about anything and everything.

Tragic angry people.

Kind regards,

Bally

Agree wholeheartedly.
These laws aren't aimed at ordinary Australians.

The saying, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about...while cliche, is true.

People can't argue that the new laws go too far, because there's potential for abuse by authorities.
There's potential for abuse with existing laws too, but nobody's complaining about existing laws are they?
For example laws used against bikies and other organized crime, such as barring patched members from entering licensed venues, or banning patched members from associating in any way with other patched members, etc etc. House arrest laws, etc.
If you think about it these are some pretty draconian laws.

However, these laws don't affect me, you, or the other Joe Blows down the road who are honest hard working people.

I don't plan on breaking any laws, let alone doing anything that can have the new laws turned on me..so why should I worry?
The laws and new powers are in place because there ARE people, unfortunately, who do want to do us harm.

In the near future, when all this terrorism stuff is forgotten about, these laws and powers will be collecting dust and everyone will have forgotten about them.

People need to stop being so alarmist.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And so it begins.

Tell you this it will all end in tears, most lightly the Australian peoples tears.

edit on 29-9-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
As the americans have, do the Aussies now have the government they deserve?

Our elected officials have nullified the 4th Amendment and Habeas Corpus at the altar of the GWOT. Are Australian legislators following suit?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

These laws hit journalists a lot harder than they hit terrorists.
They give the gov and ASIO a free pass to do whatever they want, even kill you if they see you as some form of threat.

Posting on this site (or FB) could label you a threat.. if your having a bad day.. if you vent with the wrong buzzwords.

This is the real truth, the foresight.. what we are really saying NO to.

do you.. accept that as well.. ?

Already i choose my words very carefully, already i am censoring myself to avoid being labeled a dissident.. how is this good? I was born here.. from long colonial and Irish roots.. I'm as far from a terrorist as you can get.. yet i need to walk on eggshells in a paranoid and fearful public domain.

I am more afraid of my gov.. than some sand dweller on the other side of the earth, why you ask.. because so far i've been threatened more by our caretakers, i have more to loose from policy than i have a terrorist.

This policy, is an affront to everything we used to stand for.. and sends us head long into a china like dictatorship.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If you don't give up your freedoms, then the terorists win.

Either way, the terrorists win. But so does government.

Makes you think, doesn't it.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The Government are terrorists?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: beezzer

The Government are terrorists?

Not really, but they won't hesitate to capitalise whenever they can!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

If there was ever something to complain about it is the draconian measures currently being implemented by english speaking governments. These new laws allow them to lump all extremism into one category, prosecute said extremism accordingly and then prosecute any journalist or government employee who reports the truth. You don't see the problem with that? You can say that these laws were not aimed at you, but the mere fact that there is going to be an active suppression of journalism going forward means that they were. What happens when the government does something concretely contrary to what you believe in and then you are labelled an extremist due to your disagreement with their policies? This is what these new measures open the bag to, they are only implemented under the guise of a foreign threat.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
One step at a time, closer to 1984...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join