It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the heck do hackers do this!!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ok so the past week I've been playing Destiny for ps4 and the games fun. I haven't played a video game for 5 years that I liked. So the terrible part is our game servers keep getting attacked by the Lizard squads DDOS attacks on our servers shutting them down! Why the heck would hackers brag about it in Twitter about shutting down a game sever? What the hell is the point of that in the first place? Then to brag about it? Is this some other game company that is angry? I seriously don't understand why anyone would waste the time to ruin a video game for people. They must be the most pathetic hackers in the world to brag about bringing a freaking video game server down.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM

I agree it can be very annoying but the reason they do it is because they can.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm raging right there with you. Nothing worse than a bunch of wanna be coders taking servers down for the #s and giggles.

I was just getting to the final boss on Nightfall. Then boom. Destiny servers offline and immediately after PSN too.

# these 'lizard squad' people.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

But why? Why do they do it? I can punch a helpless girl in the stomach but I dont. Plus I can imagine some ppl that play the game are the tech savvy hackers that attack sites that are actually worth it. These pathetic fools hit a video game! The idiocy of these guys just blows my mind.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Exactly! These ppl must be the most lonely pathetic hackers on the planet. Jeebuz Christ at least other hackers do things funny or against establishment, not a FRACKING video game that represents In a way the same thing that they stand for.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I know some stupid hackers, but none of them would turn to screw with a video game.....I sicerely hope psn network and bungie invest some $ to track these helpless fools down and parade them around so we can see the pathetic fools that they are.

I know one of the psn or bungie guys is already on it after this sad excuse for hackers, the lizard squad took a picture of his fathers grave. That's just down right sick.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
There's a bunch of different said reasons, such as; exposing security risks, "trolling" people who make videoblogs(for adsense?), to trying to hinder big named gaming company's validity and or revenue-such as the Sony Attacks.

originally posted by: NiZZiM
I know some stupid hackers, but none of them would turn to screw with a video game.....I sicerely hope psn network and bungie invest some $ to track these helpless fools down and parade them around so we can see the pathetic fools that they are.

I know one of the psn or bungie guys is already on it after this sad excuse for hackers, the lizard squad took a picture of his fathers grave. That's just down right sick.

Wow,

edit on 28-9-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I find it humorous that you equate your video game being turned off with a helpless girl getting punched in the stomach.

You said it, not me!

Why does anyone do anything? For $#^%s and grins, no? That's certainly why I'm on ATS!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here's your culprits:

twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Well My first thought was "how sad some people are"

But after thinking about it for a whlie am glad in a way, I mean what the gaming industry are doing is making games unplayable unless you are online which is not good. They want control of anything.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: RayVon
Micro-transactions; Nickel and diming gamers endlessly. It's like Wall Street has infiltrated video games. Apparently, the $60 isn't enough anymore.

Oh, and I wouldn't call them "hackers". A DDOS attack isn't really hacking at all.

edit on 29-9-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2014 by Fylgje because: unforgivable typo in 1st edit

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

But why? Why do they do it?

It could be for their resume or task to get in to a new job.

Who knows who the employers are

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Actually, it isn't Lizard Squad. They are just taking credit for it. Like they always do.

The problem with Destiny is that even after pumping this game up to be one of the best games of the year, Bungie still did not think that so many people would be buying the game. This is also a problem that continuously happens when games first go out. When the bugs haven't all been worked out yet, specifically with always online type games, like Destiny.

This is a problem that Bungie had with Halo on the Xbox when Halo first came out. Long before Lizard Squad was a thing.

Just wait it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Let's not give them that much credit.

They aren't hackers. They are jumping aboard the bandwagon of many well established ddos attacks run by existing networks of slaved machines.

As for why they do it? For the lulz. DDOS a government or business entity site, interrupt their ability to make money - maybe you're in it for a cause. Hit a game server for a game people have already paid for? In it for the lulz.

Even if they didn't use something established it's not hard for the script kiddies to get their hands on all they need to get the ball rolling on these.

FFWIW: You're only going to see this get worse. The future regular criminal won't be a weapon-carrying robber, it'll be a 16 year old kid who's been programming since he was 8 stealing identities and hacking POS systems.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
a reply to: RayVon
Micro-transactions; Nickel and diming gamers endlessly. It's like Wall Street has infiltrated video games. Apparently, the $60 isn't enough anymore.

Oh, and I wouldn't call them "hackers". A DDOS attack isn't really hacking at all.

Yeah I guess your right giving them the label "Hackers" is some what generous.

The Game industry is a bad place at the moment so we will have to see if prices change in anyway.

top topics

join