It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

By Grace Alone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
By Grace Alone…..
We shall be saved, by grace alone.

Grace, via Merrian Webster:

a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b : a virtue coming from God
c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace
a : approval, favor
b archaic : mercy, pardon
c : a special favor : privilege
d : disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency
e : a temporary exemption : reprieve

From Wiki's interpretation of Divine Grace:

Grace in Christianity is the free and unmerited favour of God as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowing of blessings.[3] It is God's gift of salvation granted to sinners for their salvation. Common Christian teaching is that grace is unmerited mercy (favor) that God gave to humanity by sending his son to die on a cross, thus delivering eternal salvation. This definition does not cover all uses of the term in scripture. For example Luke 2:40 (King James Version) "And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him." In this example when using the definition of grace to mean unmerited favor it does not make sense, to some, that the sinless Christ would need this. However many Christians believe that upon him means integral with or through him (John 1:17, NIV). This at its root means literally Christ dispenses Gods grace from himself. Equally some say, how can one fall short of grace? (Galatians 5:4) or meekness attract it and pride repel it (James 4:6) if it is unmerited. However many Christians believe that the grace of God is accessed simply as an act of faith. Romans 3:23 (KJV) states "For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God;" yet Romans 6:23 (NIV) states, "For the wages of sin is death (eternal separation from God) but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." In sum John 3:16 (KJV) says "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son,that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." For example James Ryle has suggested "Grace is the empowering Presence of God enabling you to be who He created you to be, and to do what He has called you to do." Alternatively Bill Gothard has suggested "God's grace gives us the desire and the power to do his will."[4]

In the New Testament, the word translated as grace is the Greek word charis (Greek χάρις), pronounced khar'-ece, for which Strong's Concordance gives this definition; "Graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude)" [5][6] A Greek word that is related to charis is charisma (gracious gift). Both these words originated from another Greek word chairo (to rejoice, be glad, delighted).[7] In the Old Testament, the Hebrew term used is chen [8][9] (חֵן), which is defined in Strong's as "favor, grace or charm; grace is the moral quality of kindness, displaying a favorable disposition".[10] In the King James translation, Chen is translated as "grace" 38 times, "favour" 26 times, twice as "gracious",[11] once as "pleasant",[12] and once as "precious".[13]

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I've been reading lots of judgement, hereabouts, attendant to race, religion, and attributing acts to DNA, religion, race, whatever it pleased the writer to ascribe those acts to.

What I'd like this thread to be about, and for those to come and comment on hereabouts is what I've highlighted in bold above: to be gratified in being alive…that we should not judge, but do others as we would be thankful for and count our own lives, as such…..

Surely, there are still those amongst us who hold faith with that, who enjoy something about the state we call living?
I should hope so. And I should hope someone who feels that way as I do, can come here and leave something positive, thoughtful and full of grace for those of us to read, who need that, desperately….
May we all be filled with gratitude and grace.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
God had his/her opportunity to guide us and look what has happened.
You cannot blame children who are not taught the way they need to be taught to be self sufficient and determined adults when they act in their own interests and become aggressive, abusive, violent and destructive.

Most of the G-ds we have created for ourselves only have grace towards their 'creations' when they submit, and follow their representives or 'appointed' priests or Kings and Queens without question, give them money, food and die for them in wars when they are challenged.

It's about time we GROW UP and become the EVOLVED HUMANS we are capable of being through the unique capacity we alone have evolved defined as REASON!

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

Dear Subtopia:

I like what you have to say on many fronts. But first:

God had his/her opportunity to guide us and look what has happened.

We did, and do, want our free will, don't we? We cannot have it both ways. Or can we? Perhaps through grace we can.

Just to show you how I think, I'm pulling what I wrote on another thread and repeating it here, for it bears repeating, I think:

In that knowledge and ability to tap into that place inside your consciousness, is pure power, of the individual, of the whole of the individual, that means the body of this person which is the unique housing for the consciousness of the individual. Together, the body and the consciousness within are a unique package, think of it even as a packet of information within an informational system, can reach the highest point of living consciousness all by themselves. That's what the inculcation is at work to get you to give up. First you allow the rights of someone else to be taken. By doing that, you allow and acquiesce to giving up your own, and so on.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think that the hope for our human race can only come from those of us who are willing to provide it. If not, from where? If grace must come from a divine intervention, sadly, I feel that we will be a long time waiting.

My importance to society is the importance I have for those who are in my circle of reference.
Grace is, in my opinion, what I am offered by my circle in SPITE of the mistakes I may make, the same as I give the same to those I believe to have erred.

Thanks for the gift of life however, thanks I give everyday, to my son for existing, and showing me the innocence of his world, that I, as an adult, have somehow lost the ability to see.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The gods we create or believe in, as you've alluded to, the same still applies….
do you revere life?
do you hold your own precious, or that of your neighbor's, or anyone's?
Either you do or you don't. It isn't our right, here, to judge, I don't think, according to any ideology, "law," or interpretation thereof, whose life is more important, more sacrosanct, more worthy…..

I don't care where you invest your tythings, your faith, your ideology or your law….
In fact, it seems to me that the question of law is LONG SINCE MOOT…..
tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
We all have a biological computer in our brain that has through evolution split into to very different operating systems that are for most in a continual state of conflict, the grace you mention occurs when they begin to attempt to work together.

G-d's are constructs to allow us to blame someone else for our justified want to protect ourselves through violence to anyone or anything that threatens us.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I like that explanation, I think.
But I have to say this….I don't like too many explanations….
for they deny us, and everyone and everything, the possible for a miracle, which is something that exists without biology, science, physics or mathematics….
regards,
tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Truthful Reasoning does not negate the unexplained, in fact it accepts it more than religious faith. Submission to the unknown is but a pale shadow to the illumination of the human capacity to question and explore the as yet unknown which is what a miracle is.

Just look at the photos from Hubble and see the miracle, which is the universe within which we exist or hold a leaf in your hand and marvel at the wonder of how such a simple looking expression of nature evolved to feed an entire rain forest, I can go on.

'My existence is a miracle upon which I determine to the best of my capacity to continue so that I may experience the wonder of my experiences within it.' Andrew

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

I AM! Let me be! Is the greatest testament to our father that he can ever ask for. He blesses those that eagerly sacrifice their birthright. He magnifies those that would choose to serve him instead of emulate him. He gave them freedom and they choose to become like dogs. A child who truly loves his father will sometimes disobey him. A child who truly loves his father will seek to become like him. Every talent in me is a product of his genius. Why would I ever sacrifice that? This world is his masterpiece, how could I ever long for its annihilation?

A child watches his father work everyday in his shop and he will want to pick up the tools of creation. It is only natural. It is not ingratitude that drives us to this, but a desire to become like our father. I want to be good. I want to be creative. I want to bear my talents into reality to return something on this investment. I want to operate my freedom and take advantage of this gift that has been bestowed upon me. I want to make this place as beautiful as possible. Is that not the greater love?

The son who can sit off in a corner while his father's masterpiece is reduced to ruin and burned in the fires of annihilation is no son at all. The son who can eagerly sacrifice the greatest gift his father ever gave to him is no son at all. The son who can forever exclude the possibility of him ever maturing to become like his father is no son at all.

Praise him from whom our talents flow. Praise him above who loves below. Praise to the one who set us free. May we stand tall to honor thee.

Holy, Holy, Holy! Father who made me. Might your bride become the loveliest thing you've seen. Seraphim and slavish being, sacrificed too readily, the gifts you gave them from eternity.

Crown him with many crowns! Our father on his throne. Might we become a worthy race for him to call his own. Our talents might we raise in glory of his name. His masterpiece magnified as our eternal praise.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I think that the hope for our human race can only come from those of us who are willing to provide it. If not, from where? If grace must come from a divine intervention, sadly, I feel that we will be a long time waiting.

My importance to society is the importance I have for those who are in my circle of reference.
Grace is, in my opinion, what I am offered by my circle in SPITE of the mistakes I may make, the same as I give the same to those I believe to have erred.

Thanks for the gift of life however, thanks I give everyday, to my son for existing, and showing me the innocence of his world, that I, as an adult, have somehow lost the ability to see.

I've written a lot on this site about hope for the human species, Jonjon. It is my mantra. So I find your reply somewhat, well, interesting.
but what you caught in the last of your reply about your importance to society, is exactly what I hope to capture in this thread, for that is exactly, your worth, as a human being, and knowing you know it, gives me much hope, and should impart the same to all of us.
Thanks
tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: subtopia
Truthful Reasoning does not negate the unexplained, in fact it accepts it more than religious faith. Submission to the unknown is but a pale shadow to the illumination of the human capacity to question and explore the as yet unknown which is what a miracle is.

Just look at the photos from Hubble and see the miracle, which is the universe within which we exist or hold a leaf in your hand and marvel at the wonder of how such a simple looking expression of nature evolved to feed an entire rain forest, I can go on.

'My existence is a miracle upon which I determine to the best of my capacity to continue so that I may experience the wonder of my experiences within it.' Andrew

I have repeated what you wrote here because it is so profound. That hope you have encapsulated and expressed here, so very well, thank you….

tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Thanks

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash
No, Necash. Not at all.
A child emulates his father because 1)he knows nor remembers nothing else. It isn't his fault he doesn't remember or relies upon his father for survival and sustenance. Take that up with God, and I see you have. We have discussed that recently.

He emulates his father bc 2)He seeks acceptance.

Another psychological factor: we emulate and seek acceptance, strangely enough, from the one who causes us the most anguish. That's right. And it doesn't bode well for what happens on down the line in survival of the species. See, the whole survival of the fittest thing is a total friggin lie.
Survival, whatever it takes, begets what it begets, and tends to engender more of the same, as antithetical to survival as that seems. Except that, it becomes survival, this sickness, and then the world's all evil, and hopefully, something, turns, changes, reverses…..

Praise him from whom our talents flow. Praise him above who loves below. Praise to the one who set us free. May we stand tall to honor thee.

Is that from where your talents flow? In your other thread, you allowed as though whom we call God here may not be at all creative, but reliant upon us for that. I do not love below. The God I refer to, is not that God. I am the God or creativity and so are you. And so is Subtopia…..

We are the Gods we are now creating, by GRACE ALONE. IT IS OUR ONLY HOPE AND SALVATION.
tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

SnF for the thread tetra.

I hope a great harvest yields and is in accordance, equal
to the earth you sow and farm for the truth. As grace has made
provisions for you to do so.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Thank you for understanding what I wanted to say and not Interpreting what you thought I said. It is a rare person who can actually see what another is saying without imposing their own interpretation on that understanding.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

SnF for the thread tetra.

I hope a great harvest yields and is in accordance, equal
to the earth you sow and farm for the truth. As grace has made
provisions for you to do so.

To you and others who have mentored me and helped and love me, Randy…..
I hope we can save each other today, for there is much hate, and I have been striving to understand this priniciple of grace, if nothing else.
So, thank you.
tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Thank you for understanding what I wanted to say and not Interpreting what you thought I said. It is a rare person who can actually see what another is saying without imposing their own interpretation on that understanding.

I listened, and am listening, and appreciated greatly what you added to this thread.
There is much negativity hereabouts, and all over, these days, Jonjon. I hope we can spread acceptance and understanding of one another, starting right here, right now….
tetra

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Well, that is why my praises are conditional. If that god does not exist, then there is no praise. Maybe we could condition him. If he really wants our praises, he'll have to adapt to become the thing our bestowal is directed towards? IDK, it is all greek to me. You asked for a doxology. I gave what I thought you were looking for.

I can say this, tetra. You seem to speak more sincerely than anyone else ever has to me. I agree, we are the source of creativity, although I wouldn't call myself a god. I am not as proactive with my talents as I'd like to be, but I'm striving to change that with each and every passing day.

I'm just happy to be here. Things could be so much worse in any given moment and every moment of peace we have is truly a blessing.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yes we have our free will. But then there's hell, ehich is essentially god saying, "do what you want, but if you do these things and dont do these other things, you're screwed. Have fun!" That's called passive aggressive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join