It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did they get my piece of music.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
So I'm listening to Spa on sirius satellite radio when I suddenly recognize a track that's playing, why?..Because I wrote it. Seems it was released in 2009 but I wrote it in 1994. I was attending a two year diploma course in Audiovisual Communications. All of our projects had to use royalty free production music or self created tracks for those of us who were musical. I bought and Atari 1024 ST and a Korg keyboard and recorded all my own midi tracks. The piece I heard on spa I wrote for a slideshow project which involved programming a Coyote system which uses three slide projectors to create different effects by placing certain slides in sequence then telling the projectors when to fade in and out. The course was hell and I'm very particular and quite often got behind. This piece of music was produced in maximum haste and in the end I feared it may detract from the project because of its repetitive qualities. It being so simple an arrangement, I've never forgotten any part of it. Hearing it on Sirius was totally strange and I'm wondering how it came to be. When I graduated I moved 1300 miles to Vancouver due to a messy breakup of a six year relationship and didn't find work right away. Rent came due and my stuff was confiscated by a landlord until I paid back rent...Which I never did. In the confiscated possessions were all my college materials including midi files and cassette tapes of this piece of music. I can only guess that my stuff was auctioned and someone found, recorded and released this track. The only other explanation is someone yanked it out of the aether? Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

I think your first idea is most likely closest to the truth. You chance to be a millionaire song writer will come again, just try

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I guess I trust my fellow humans too much, I'd never have the balls to release someones music as my own...I'd simply feel...Well, disgusted with myself

ETA: Think I'm going to ask him on his web page if he can explain just how that piece of music came to him? You know...What inspired him to write it?
edit on 28-9-2014 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Creativity is a flow that moves from the realms above through us below. If a seed falls on barren soil, it comes again to grow. So many of my ideas dissipate only to crystallize in someone else. If you have an opinion, speak it, lest you be forced to endure the embarrassment of being instructed on it from someone else's lips. If a rock calls out to you, asking you to liberate its form, free it, lest another sculptor comes to seize the day. Sometimes, the universe is ready for a thing to be born into existence and no matter how it is resisted, it will keep pushing itself into reality until it is properly born.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Well there's that too I guess

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
You never know. But, there are many songs that sound alike, perhaps someone just happened to create the same tune? Since you said it was a simple arrangement, it seems as if it's creative "echoing".

I've read of poets and songwriters who've made a product that is exactly like an existing piece. They didn't even know their ideas were not new. From 1994 to now, that's a good amount of time and the chances of it happening are very high.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So music is not like snowflakes where no two can ever be exactly the same. This arrangement wasn't close it was exact. I think I get your meaning though

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
a reply to: Antipathy17

I guess I trust my fellow humans too much, I'd never have the balls to release someones music as my own...I'd simply feel...Well, disgusted with myself

ETA: Think I'm going to ask him on his web page if he can explain just how that piece of music came to him? You know...What inspired him to write it?

That's a good idea! Do you have any actual proof that you wrote and recorded that back in the 90's? That sucks for you...Idk how people release or claim something is theirs when it isn't. This happens a lot in the photography world as well.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Sadly no, all records were lost when my stuff was withheld for back rent. I'm just waiting to find one of my images on some Chinese tourist mug!

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Yes, ask him what inspired the song.

Also sometimes just hearing something, it gets buried in our subconscious and reemerges. Maybe the guy was in your class or he knew you somehow. But since you said the arrangement was exact, it sounds like it was a total rip off.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Find out the title given to your tune and who the "artist" given credit is on Sirus. Then look into that guy or business. It would take some detective work, but I bet you could track down how this happened. I don't know what type of agreement you had with your old landlord, but you may have given him the copyrights somehow by leaving your music behind.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I know the name of the piece and who released it, I'm not mentioning that here as I have zero proof other than what I know in myself. I am going to contact the so called writer though.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse

I know the name of the piece and who released it, I'm not mentioning that here as I have zero proof other than what I know in myself. I am going to contact the so called writer though.

Stealing intellectual property and taking credit for is a despicable act !!!

If you weren't properly credited, threaten a law suit even if you don't have the original tape.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

It cane from the school...they requested.copyright free or original...yours n others after were provided for use as free class composition. Not landlord and its considered background music from students..school provided it..you gave it freely... MS. Copyright owner

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

It cane from the school...they requested.copyright free or original...yours n others after were provided for use as free class composition. Not landlord and its considered background music from students..school provided it..you gave it freely... MS. Copyright owner

I believe you are correct Stranger. If he created it for a project and submitted the project to the college, it became the property of the college at that point. What they did with it after that was their business. I have had professors photograph some of my work, who knows what happened to that. Also consider students in higher level courses contributing to scientific research projects, certainly those contributions became the property of the universities.

However, I was under the impression that the school wanted the students to use public domain or original compositions simply to avoid copyrights infringement as well as to demonstrate the way a professional production company would operate.

ETA: I would imagine that a student could have used commercial music if they had paid for the copyright use or had permission for conditional use, like only for this project and not for distribution or sale.
edit on 29-9-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added comment

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's possible for songs to sound very similar. I'm a song writer and I've heard my music on the radio many times

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Well I hope that's the truth of it. I just don't like the idea of people making of with my creative work and calling it their own

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

As a copyight owner of music, lyrics, novels and a trademark or two Swampbuck...Im sure Im right. It happened to me in school.

There I was, an owner then of about 20 or so songs myself, and for a class at school, I was told to remember that these songs submitted to a class assignment or project, while so ordered to be composed FOR that class or project for a grade consideration-evaluation of that University...would become the property in perpretuity (forever) of the school for their usage in any fuure ways.

They wanted to be sure I...as a copyright owner already...understood that. So, in this case, Im reasonably sure the school...using its resources of students...did so.

I sympathize with the student-composer, but it happens all the time.

P.S. PLEASE my musician and writer friends! Always get a registered copyright for your own sake...even if now-a-days you dont always need one.
*FYI-All record companies, distributors, publishers WONT TOUCH A PIECE...if it's not legally copyrighted. (To protect THEM against suit of course!)

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: splr

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Great to know that you're sure you know cause now we can know too. Those of us who don't sit a top such a volume of creative works and copyrights laws won't be so sure.

Certainly sounds logical when considering everything in the OP.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Thanks you sir! Respectfully speaking on this file-sharing, downloading and copyright flap we've been thru and thru here the last few years...in regarding to my music and my band's (uses in films, commercials you name it -some paid-some stolen)...Ive been screwed with my pants on more than once over all these years. And all without even a kiss...

Bottom line? There are variables in everything. Schooling as well. What you did in school could always be used later on...perhaps years later. What it comes down to is what we do as students can remain in the school's possession for years to come...to use as they see fit...as examples of students past work etc.

In a perfect world...it would have been great if the school CREDITED the OP for his work...even if they provided some group with examples of student compostions.

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: spl

top topics

join