It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The book of the law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
To those who have read this book ....

- Did you follow the 'rule' to only read it once and then destroy it rather than study it?

- If there is only one rule - do what thou shall - then why follow the rule of not studying it?

- Did you feel different after reading the book? If yes, then how so? How are you changed? Have things changed around you or are you yourself changed, or both?

- Are you afraid of speaking about what is in the book because of the curse "Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence." Is that why you all won't say exactly what is in the book? Or is there another reason?

To anyone who has read it ... will you dare the curse and tell us what is inside the book? (Only if it's not against the T&C of this site, of course).

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The first rule of fight club...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Ah Jaysus, Joseph and Mary,

Cut it out you goof-balls.

Back in my day, we used take turns being the weekly 'centre of pestilence', "Who's week is it?" "Mine!, mine!".

You know how it is with geeks, and it doesn't get any geekier than the O.T.O.

Here, banish with laughter...

74. There is a Secret in the name
of PASADENA, hidden and foamy,
just as the sun at midnight
seldom gives you a good tan.

Liber Call Me AL

(Of course, it won't be as funny unless you've read The Book of The Law)

edit on 29-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hey?

Just curious? You folks seem to like Der Book o' The Law better as a scary unapproachable finger-burner of a tome. I told you the truth about it being a literary hoax and you don't seem to want to accept that.

Wanna hear something even worse, that might not be T&C friendly?

The thing is also the world's second-longest running literary dick-joke.

You don't even want to know what the first is.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This book is incoherent nonsense, with nothing profound in or out. You've been trolled.

ETA: My mistake. I was thinking of the Book of Lies by the same author.
edit on 29-9-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

You don't even want to know what the first is.

I do.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I do.

I know, but I just can't do it.

Crowley himself will point to it, but I must leave the revelation to the industrious book-hound.

edit on 29-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I'd really like to better understand the reasoning for everyone being so vague about the contents of the book and/or it's takeaways.

How would one discuss its contents and meaning to another; its extremely obtuse and hasn't shown up on The New York Times bestseller list ever or been published as a collegiate guide shortcut version "Cliff Notes" or the even better, "The Book of the Law for DUMMIES". I've read it twice in 10 years; with no inspiration/revelation YET but am holding out it will at some point inform me as to what the best bait fish EVER exists for all specie of animal/human. There is no clear answer here, I have the book still (as a curiosity?) for no other better reason than anyone has. Anybody up to the challenge of re-reading it and offer comment on interpretation?
edit on 29-9-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Apparently I'm a very lucky person, because I have yet to read it! Until this thread I did not know that you were only supposed to read it once, not study it, throw it away, and not talk about it. That is so cool that it's as good as lentils and rice. On the other hand, I love the 'Book of Lies', a very nice post-Victorian era trip to somewhere on each page, well coded, and a "HowTo:Hide great descriptions of bodies of information in plain sight". Like a good movie viewed a few times instead of once.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: veteranhumanbeing

Aleister Apparently I'm a very lucky person, because I have yet to read it! Until this thread I did not know that you were only supposed to read it once, not study it, throw it away, and not talk about it. That is so cool that it's as good as lentils and rice. On the other hand, I love the 'Book of Lies', a very nice post-Victorian era trip to somewhere on each page, well coded, and a "HowTo:Hide great descriptions of bodies of information in plain sight". Like a good movie viewed a few times instead of once.

Why not break some rules by reading it at LEAST ONCE. Why not study it (not intended/recommended only if bored by life for the nanoseconds required to speed read the contents). I'm serious; if anyone wants to attempt with me to decipher its contents I'm game. I had no idea there was a "Book of Lies". Crowley write this or the Free-Masons; as they are geniuses in hiding things in plain sight (kind of like using GODs tactics; and what better a teacher exists). Movie wise (hidden knowledge) a fluff film "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy".

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I'll read it at some point, that's what I meant, it's something to look forward to. Like popcorn. If you should only read it once then maybe it's better to come to it with background and experiences. But yes, I'll read it, not just yet though. I have to put in many more hours of guitar practice before that (and by practice I mean making noises with the strings). Anyway, good discussions, I'll bounce out of this thread now and herd cats.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I had interest in Thelema at one time, and had some exposure to the teachings via a local group several years back.

Pros:
Thelema encourages maximum development of one's personal/spiritual/magickal potential, without limits or conditions. Essentially purports to teach how to create one's own reality (or that is my interpretation at least) according to True Will.

Cons:
Darkness (again, my interpretation - not intended to offend or provoke any Thelemites that may read this...)

From the from Book of the Law, here's an interesting take on how to curse one's enemies:

23. For perfume mix meal & honey & thick leavings of red wine: then oil of Abramelin and olive oil, and afterward soften & smooth down with rich fresh blood.

24. The best blood is of the moon, monthly: then the fresh blood of a child, or dropping from the host of heaven: then of enemies; then of the priest or of the worshippers: last of some beast, no matter what.

25. This burn: of this make cakes & eat unto me. This hath also another use; let it be laid before me, and kept thick with perfumes of your orison: it shall become full of beetles as it were and creeping things sacred unto me.

26. These slay, naming your enemies; & they shall fall before you.

And speaking of curses, a little further along in the book, some commentary on other religions:

49. I am in a secret fourfold word, the blasphemy against all gods of men.

50. Curse them! Curse them! Curse them!

51. With my Hawk's head I peck at the eyes of Jesus as he hangs upon the cross.

52. I flap my wings in the face of Mohammed & blind him.

53. With my claws I tear out the flesh of the Indian and the Buddhist, Mongol and Din.

54. Bahlasti! Ompehda! I spit on your crapulous creeds.

55. Let Mary inviolate be torn upon wheels: for her sake let all chaste women be utterly despised among you!

Source

As for the "curse" on reading the book once and destroying, similar to what many have said already, I wouldn't take that seriously at all, whether or not one believes in the magickal ability to curse. Besides the contradiction with the instruction to "Do What Thou Will..." AC was notorious for speaking in codes, contradictions, creating and fueling controversial and outlandish notions in every conceivable way. Pretty sure that was either an inside joke, or marketing gimmick to generate curiosity, if not just shock value.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I read Goldilocks and the Three Bears once and had to promptly burn the book after!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
if you read it online, do you have to burn your computer afterwards?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
what if somebody recites it to you, do you have to burn them afterwards?

edit on 30-9-2014 by DARREN1976 because: i am daft..

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: veteranhumanbeing

I'll read it at some point, that's what I meant, it's something to look forward to. Like popcorn. If you should only read it once then maybe it's better to come to it with background and experiences. But yes, I'll read it, not just yet though. I have to put in many more hours of guitar practice before that (and by practice I mean making noises with the strings). Anyway, good discussions, I'll bounce out of this thread now and herd cats.

Well at least its in the 'theater' of your realm now (consciousness); to read or not to read. Two jumbo Popcorns (extra butter) and a quart of Coke; some Milkduds and Raisenets as well; would make the reading of this book oddly sugar coated more palatable? Not herding feral cats I hope; easier to have an evening spent offering (for free) to bathe all of your neighbors felines (cats getting wet for the first time ever). Hours put in creating something harmonic "sounds" to be better spent time wise, as in you are creating something positive rather than causing confusion. I hear you.
edit on 30-9-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Hello FlyersFan, and May Peace be with you!

I own the red, hardback edition with the facsimile images of Crowley's original hand-written manuscript.

I have studied it and given it more than a single reading. Throughout the years, I have not had a single incident stemming from any curse, nor have I felt any negative vibes from keeping the book or storing it prominently on my bookshelf.

I enjoy a few choice phrases and concepts from the "Book of the Law," however, all-in-all, I honestly found it to be lacking and the least enlightening of all the esoteric, occult, and initiatory books that I have studied.

Compared to the "Book of the Law," I have found more truth in the "Tao Te Ching",... more wisdom from Buddha and Jesus,... more understanding from (Neo)Pythagoreanism and (Neo)Platonism,... more veiled secrets in Greco-Roman mythology and the mysteries,... and more insight in the Hermetica.

I do have one story of curiosity resulting from the "Book of the Law". While I was giving it a first read, I accidentally spilled my coffee on the book. I wiped the coffee away in disappointment at staining my new book. By the end of reading the book, my disappointment turned into ironic laughter, as I noticed that my new coffee stains were similar to the apparent discolored stains of the facsimile images of the original manuscript

Give it a read and cross-reference and compare the figures, symbols, and archetypes to other systems. There is no harm and nothing to fear from the book. I was, and still remain, unimpressed.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

What do you recommend

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Sahabi

What do you recommend

Hi there onequestion, may Peace be with you.

Judging by your threads and postings, I believe that you don't need to ask this question

When I read literature, I gather the words of treasure and discard the words of garbage. As all humans are physically bound to differing degrees of time, space, place, perspective, experience, and knowledge,... it can be respectfully understood that no work of man can encapsulate the absolute.

However, personally, I enjoyed "The Kybalion,"... "The Emerald Tablets of Hermes,"... "Tao Te Ching,"... the sayings of Jesus from the canonical and non-canonical gospels only,... and the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha.

Are you searching for anything in particular?

edit on 10/1/14 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I see the entire thread turned into one big bombastic platitude. There's true will at work...

<< 1    3 >>

join