It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The book of the law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
source

Liber AL vel Legis (Latin pronunciation: [ˈliːber ˈɛɫ weɫ ˈleːd͡ʒis])[citation needed] is the central sacred text of Thelema, written down from dictation mostly by Aleister Crowley, although Rose Edith Crowley is also known to written two phrases into the manuscript of the Book after its dictation. Crowley claimed it was dictated to him by a discarnate entity named Aiwass or Aiwaz. However, the three chapters are largely written in the first person by the Thelemic deities Nuit, Hadit, and Ra-Hoor-Khuit respectively, rather than by Aiwass/Aiwaz.

Any Thelema practitioners?

What do you think what's your experience?

For or against, why?

Pros cons

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Makes more sense now than it did when I first read it about 15 years ago.

Strangely, yesterday I started to paint Nuit . Hadit will also make an appearance in the painting and I am painting from the imagination. It will be my Avatar when completed.

It is not difficult to superimpose the Egyptian deities over the more commonly used greek or qabalistic deities. It is a matter of personal preference but it also reinforces the established knowledge.

The book of the law does refer to much of the mysteries but in a nutshell. This is very typical of Crowley.

edit on 28-9-2014 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

Have you put any of it to practice?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: crowdedskies

Have you put any of it to practice?

Thelema is not my route but the writings have found their way into my "filing system". In accordance with Crowley's advice, my knowledge is constantly being built by assigning fragments of insight into the appropriate section of the mental filing cabinet.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I'm not a Thelema practitioner but I've read The Book of the Law. It's a pretty intense read, especially if you have a vivid imagination and actually picture him in the desert, receiving the words.

My thoughts on Thelema are generally positive, though. I agree with the concept of finding your will's true purpose ("do what thou wilt"). Of course, that message is heavily misconstrued as a hedonistic doctrine but... fundies will be fundies.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I should also mention that the Book of the Law comes with a warning to those who read it. Somewhere in there it says that it should be destroyed after first reading. It is not part of the dictation but more like an appendix. No doubt, that it is Crowleys' way of making the book more powerful.

If you possess the little red version of the book which also includes the original hand-written dictations, I suggest that you keep it in a very safe and sure place. It does have some strange powers .

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sounds interesting.the book having powers part.
edit on 9/28/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here we go...

THE COMMENT.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

The study of this Book is forbidden. It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading.

Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril. These are most dire.

Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.

All questions of the Law are to be decided only by appeal to my writings, each for himself.

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.

Love is the law, love under will.

-The priest of the princes,

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I have used the book that way only twice and I do not need anymore proof of its power.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

I have used the book that way only twice and I do not need anymore proof of its power.

I will vouch for the warning on it. By the nature of the warning itself, it would be foolish for me to discuss it further than giving a simple affirmation.

Don't lend it out or give it away.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

I should also mention that the Book of the Law comes with a warning to those who read it. Somewhere in there it says that it should be destroyed after first reading. It is not part of the dictation but more like an appendix. No doubt, that it is Crowleys' way of making the book more powerful.

If you possess the little red version of the book which also includes the original hand-written dictations, I suggest that you keep it in a very safe and sure place. It does have some strange powers .

Bybyots answered this. I do have the original 'little red publication". Here is the interesting thing regarding anything Egyptian/Thelemetic; Crowley has his own version of the qabala, he has his own set of tarot cards based upon the teachings of the hermetic/or Thoth. If you were to compare his version and explanations of the workings of his tarot you would find a very insightfull mind/order of a thought process (genious) as a better a version of tarot reading (and there are many competitors). The Egyptians invented the qabala; not the Hebrew (they borrowed it; to be nice). It is no secret Crowley kept to the original Hermetic thought and in so doing is as some naysayers say DARKER in interpretation but not evil; it just tells a greater truth in its honesty.
edit on 28-9-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Don't lend it out or give it away.

LOL

I got my first copy the Book of the Law when I first saw it at a public library, back in the '70s. I was taken with an overwhelming urge to steal it, and so I tucked it in my bag, and did not check it out. I didn't really think a lot of it, because in those days checking a library book out was basically just a due date stamp and the honor system. Our family was always finding and returning old library books. So, it wasn't like a kleptomaniacal rush or anything.

Now, I was carrying it around in my car because I intended to loan it to a friend, when I ran into them. Thing is, it got stolen from my car before I ran into my friend.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You sure the librarian hoofed it as in following your car? This is interesting windword, I loaned my copy to a neighbor that was a psychiatrist and after returning it to me; he committed suicide 4 weeks later.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
that little red book
from contempation to operation
stars will steer thoughts when thrice absorbed
thresholds of paid minds salute the seals,
abound and established.
a gallery of timeless functions
they seek the dance whilst striving for long
forgotten thoughtforms
they wish the power whilst i bathe in the rays of
their curses
i wallow in their hatred perceived,processed and
understood.
conceal the light in your eyes from those who would
do harm
considered amado and operation mistletoe, for
devoid of these sparks its a no-show.
a distant echo of laughter jolts me back to the
here and now from the there and then.
my eyes smart in the sheer brilliance of those untouched
by decay.
a discrete exit after sunrise was intended, broken only by
the eldersoul still at guard
i bade farewell by his leave that morrow to return back
to those loved and unaware of workings and operations.
to forget the lunacy of decay on this glorious day.

I thank the eldersoul for allowing me unrestricted access to all materials

f.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I've been about it for 35+ years till present. It's something that must come naturally and can not be forced. It's not something you can read and get in a year or even 5 years. It's a lifetime achievement.

Note* My statements are very general - for good reason.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will."

∴93∴

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'd really like to better understand the reasoning for everyone being so vague about the contents of the book and/or it's takeaways.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yes ... are the contents so dark and powerful that they can only be read one time without loss of mind or soul? Or was that a marketing gimmick to sell more books ... read it once and burn it or else ...??? I'd like to hear more from those who have read the book. You all have sincerely caught my interest ...

edit on 9/29/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It's a literary hoax.

Crowley's masterpiece, or at least it was when it was created.

edit on 29-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Inane attempts at the profound.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

... are the contents so dark and powerful that they can only be read one time without loss of mind or soul?

Yes.

Enter If You Dare

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join