It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tear gas fired at chaotic Hong Kong democracy protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Hong Kong (AFP) - Police repeatedly fired tear gas after tens of thousands of pro-democracy demonstrators brought parts of central Hong Kong to a standstill Sunday in protest at Beijing's refusal to grant the city unfettered democracy.The rare chaotic scenes -- in which crowds fought running battles with riot police in the streets of the international financial hub -- forced protest leaders to warn supporters to "retreat and save their lives" if rubber bullets were fired.

Protesters screamed "Shame!" at officers, many in gas masks and riot gear, as they tried to shield themselves from the clouds of gas which was last used in Hong Kong in 2005.

It marked a dramatic escalation of protests in the city, which rarely sees such violence, after a tense week of largely contained student-led demonstrations exploded into mass angry street protests.

Many officers had rubber bullet rifles slung over their shoulders, prompting protest leaders to call on demonstrators to pull back if police used them of they felt their lives were threatened.

Tear gas fired at chaotic Hong Kong democracy protests

Did a search nothing came up.Seems to be all over people are rising up against their governments. they seem to be paying more attention to what they call fake democracy. I feel we we here in the good ol USA need to do a full blown uprising before it is to late to turn us around from the corruption and out of control police and government. I wish them the best luck in their protests.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Why would anybody want to congregate in large crowds? Aren't there already confirmed cases of Ebola in Hong Kong?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

I read there was an estimated 500,000 protesting the heavy handed elections directed out of Beijing. This has been building for the last few months. Now we will get to see how China handles this at one of their major financial hubs. Now I will read your link... S^F

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It`s getting serious over there.

Live feed :

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

thanks for the live feed , well i know whats going to be playing on my desktop all day,

wish some of those policemen would throw off a uniform and hop sides , come on the people!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

Bad ass Chinese with their umbrellas.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

People castigate The British Empire.

When HK was under British rule, scenes like those where unheard off.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

See the problem here is that Hong Kong does have a fake democracy, where China controls the government and who can and cannot be "democratically elected".

And Americans think they have it bad!

Good on them I say.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

All day are you serious. You sound like a patriotic red coat I got to ask, are you male or female and how old?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

are you male or female and how old?

What has that got to do with it ?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I'd like to put a face so I can better understand you? Can I get a answer?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I'd like to put a face so I can better understand you? Can I get a answer?

My answer is from the people of Hong Kong

www.rfa.org...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

So, you are a 23 year old ill informed female with a patriotic dad in the military. Brilliant sidestepping my question

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

So, you are a 23 year old ill informed female with a patriotic dad in the military. Brilliant sidestepping my question

If you say so.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

What am I to assume with your silly rhetoric and your spider man incognito. You show a certain signature disconnect from practicality. That I know you are either ignorant of your statements; and or firmly aware and seeking reinforcement from those who have never seen you post. But either way its confusing which leads me to believe your being honest therefore I'd like to put an identity to this avatar pm if you dont feel threatened but I'd really like to know.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

What am I to assume with your silly rhetoric and your spider man incognito. You show a certain signature disconnect from practicality. That I know you are either ignorant of your statements; and or firmly aware and seeking reinforcement from those who have never seen you post. But either way its confusing which leads me to believe your being honest therefore I'd like to put an identity to this avatar pm if you dont feel threatened but I'd really like to know.

I find it unusual that you don't wish to comment on what the people of HK have stated about British Rule.

As i have said before on previous topics " I doesn't fit with your anti- British Agenda"

Ask me why i should give any sort of courteous reply to someone who is so blatantly anti- British.

Your probably still smarting over the Scotland Independence referendum result.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I was married to a British woman I met in Amsterdam on leave. Dont be foolish, I am not anti British and I would die for your country if you fell under attack. I asked a question because I can judge character through personality and i cant see dynamic with you so I'd like to put a face. Sorry for derail but I love democracy and i hope this is peaceful

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I was married to a British woman I met in Amsterdam on leave. Dont be foolish, I am not anti British and I would die for your country if you fell under attack. I asked a question because I can judge character through personality and i cant see dynamic with you so I'd like to put a face. Sorry for derail but I love democracy and i hope this is peaceful

Fair comment.

The reason i posted about HK, was the people of HK where far happier under British Rule.

Yes The British Empire had it lows points, but all was not bad. In fact The Empire bought democracy to many parts of the world who lived previously under feudal rule.
Just take a look at some of the countries that became independent from Britain and see the mess that their countries are now in. Zimbabwe is a prime example.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: alldylong

Every philosophy be it my own, should have the right to see its demise. I have my own beliefs about my beloved; some that I do not support. However the autonomous rule of a free democracy and its constituents should be respected, and prayed for peace. The nostalgia of yesterday has very little place here, but i suppose is as always nice to say, what if?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

a reply to: alldylong

Every philosophy be it my own, should have the right to see its demise. I have my own beliefs about my beloved; some that I do not support. However the autonomous rule of a free democracy and its constituents should be respected, and prayed for peace. The nostalgia of yesterday has very little place here, but i suppose is as always nice to say, what if?

One thing to bear in mind.

If Britain had " Stayed At Home " there would be no U.S. Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc

Would that be a good or bad thing ? People have to decide for themselves.

top topics

join