It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Bans Controversial Nike TV Advertisement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Nike's Television ad called "Chamber of Fear" featuring basketball star LeBron James battling an animated cartoon of a kung fu master in a video game-style setting has been banned in China. The State Administration for Radio, Film and Television announced the ad is an insult to the Chinese national dignity and that it goes against rules that require advertisements not to have any material in them that insults national practices and culture. The advertisement has also received indignant responses from Chinese viewers. Nike has no response at this time but will respect the government's decision, according to spokesman Maurice Zhou.

news.xinhuanet.com
BEIJING, Dec. 7 (Xinhuanet) -- China has banned a Nike television commercial showing U.S. basketball star LeBron James in a battle with an animated cartoon kung fu master, saying the ad insults Chinese national dignity.

(Photo: The Beijing News)

Nike spokesman Maurice Zhou says the company has no response except to say that it will respect the government's decision.
The commercial, titled "Chamber of Fear," was broadcast on local Chinese stations and on state television's national sports channel before being pulled last month.
Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can understand the Chinese banning certain things on television; I think it should be done he in north America as well, but where does one draw the line and what’s good for me may not be for you. It's a bit of a sticky wicket, as the British say.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Well they censor so much anyway, why not this?

join