It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Mistrust of police corrodes America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
My take on ATS and Obama..

He could say water is wet or the sky is blue and the same people here would be complaining about that.

Yep. He's that bad.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Because he would never say something as simple as "Water is wet".

He would say, "Water is wet. It is a necessary component to ensure life. Without it, people will die."

Then he would add, "I am using executive order to give Nestle the rights to privatize and control how water is used".

**Nestle's chairman is on record as saying water is not a natural right**

It's the double speak, half-truths, spins on truth, flip-flopping, contractions, and outright lies that make it very, very hard to take anything he says at face value.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Trust is earned

If police, in general, are not trusted by honest people, then what does that say.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The mistrust that the administration showed in the population, that culminated in the police state is the problem. If I was american i would not have trust a cop either. a reply to: generik

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Trust is not given freely but rather earned. The people entrusted to uphold and enforce the law should be held to the highest standards of the same. You never gain trust by force: lead by example not through fear.

That applies for every level of governance, from the local authorities to the leaders of any country.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Police are enforcing the laws that politicians put into place.

Police are the unfortunate "face" of laws and legislation brought about by politicians who hide behind body guards and walled communities.

If people mistrust the police, it isn't because of the police, it's because of the laws that the police have been forced to enforce. People blame the police and are angry with the police because it is the police that are seen every day and are exposed to the public every day.

Not the politicians.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

If people mistrust the police, it isn't because of the police, it's because of the laws that the police have been forced to enforce

Where is that law for shooting people in the back and when unarmed or hands up.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

If people mistrust the police, it isn't because of the police, it's because of the laws that the police have been forced to enforce

Where is that law for shooting people in the back and when unarmed or hands up.

You can cherry-pick ANY profession and (I suppose) judge that entire profession by the actions of a few.

Or judge an entire religion on the actions of a few.
Or make sweeping legislation based on the actions of a few.

edit on 28-9-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I don't buy blaming inappropriate or unlawful action by police on the people who make laws. That is the typical American 'it's someone else fault'.

People have to be responsible for their OWN actions.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I don't buy blaming inappropriate or unlawful action by police on the people who make laws. That is the typical American 'it's someone else fault'.

People have to be responsible for their OWN actions.

But we're talking about 2 different things.

Go ahead and judge and condemn police who act inappropriately.

But to mistrust the entire profession on the actions of a few is narrow-minded in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
When police and prosecutors give a pass to police who do wrong, why would people not start to distrust the whole system. I implies they are all in on it.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

When police and prosecutors give a pass to police who do wrong, why would people not start to distrust the whole system. I implies they are all in on it.

Gee golly. Then we need to contact the Justice Depart. . . . wait, what?

Political appointees, corrupt the system.
Cronyism corrupts the system.

But to single out police as the fault and cause of all the corruption is (once again) very short-sighted.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
A crustacean walks into a room, a man yells "hey, no shell-fish aloud!."
"Now who's being selfish?" the sad crustacean asks.

Obama: Mistrust of police corrodes America

Joe nobody: Mistrust of policy corrodes America.

Where would we be if policy was "1 for all, and all for one?"

Current policy is what's corrosive?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Why hold citizens liable for crime but not a police officer. People and the system is messed up. But then it always has been.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't believe that Obama is an idiot.

I do believe that he is very ignorant to many, unfamiliar realities!

His knowledge comes from his own reality, which stems from the limited cultures and schooling that he has been exposed to. But there exists many world views outside of his own. These other views, do not appear to be important, or as important, as his do. And, whether it be that he is unable or unwilling to consider them, therein lies the problems that he continues to face...

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Sorry Beezer, I cannot agree.

Once upon a time, I trusted the police. I thought they were public servants, serving me. I even donated money to the various county sheriff's associations.

I was wrong. My trust was misplaced.

About 7 years ago, I had an incident with an officer.

My wife and I, were leaving a grocery store. We went there to buy some ingredients to cook dinner for ourselves. We were laughing, holding hands. Basically, just two souls in love and enjoying life. Before I continue, I should note I am white, she is Chinese. We stand out in public together, as I certainly glow in the dark.

A police officer, was hovering around, driving slowly in the parking lot. He saw us leave the store. I had a feeling about him, as we put our groceries in the trunk. He kept looking in our general direction, drifting between Isles, and I could tell he was slowly arranging himself to get behind me as I was pulling out and left the parking lot. Less than 1000 yards later after I pull out of the parking lot, he pulls me over.

His reason? My "tags" were expired in his system, and he claimed the same system said I had no insurance for my car. For bonus, he stated I had an unpaid parking ticket associated with my license plate. I explain to him that this was two month old news to me, as I had already rectified said fine, and tags were paid for with the DMV. I even kept the cancelled cheque in my glove department. I was simply waiting for the tags to arrive in the mail.

He asks for my insurance, so I give it to him. Before he even goes off to check it, he threatens me, paraphrasing. "You know it is a felony to lie to police officer about insurance? I know you do not have insurance. I checked already. I know friends at Wawanesa, and I'm going to go call them right now. And if you're lying to me, I'm going to arrest you."

He was very aggressive, and very accusatory. Basically I felt that I was a criminal just by being in my own vehicle. And that the insurance card I had, was fraudulent somehow.

At this point, I'm like WTF? I know I have insurance. It's legitimate, valid. The DMV accepted it and I've never had a problem with others accepting it before, as needed. I also know the parking ticket he mentioned is paid, and that my tags are in the mail. This was the same year California started having budget problems, and delays in processing tags became "normal."

He goes off, for a few minutes, and then comes back. "Gee, it's your lucky day, Wawanesa is closed." He does nothing further, and tells me to go on my way. Not even an apology for giving me hassle for his own misunderstanding. Seriously. He used those words. They were forever etched in my mind. Lucky day for what? Not being arrested under false charges with a piss poor motive by the police officer in question?

Immediately, once i get home, I call Wawanesa to clarify my insurance. Of course, guess what? They are open. Not only that, the insurance is perfectly fine. Paid in full, next payment due in 4 months. I go to the DMV the next day about my tags, and they inform me the officer should NEVER have questioned the tags, as the ticket is paid, the tags are valid in the system. For bonus, it will cost $10 to get the sticker right now instead of waiting.

This experience forever changed my perception of said "police". My only crime that day, was having a great day with my wife, whom, together, is obviously a multicultural relationship. The only conclusion I reached, was that an "officer of the law", didn't like one of those aspects of our relationship, and simply made himself as a tyrant to dampen my day.

For bonus, I went searching for his departmental office the next day, to complain about him after my DMV visit. He ultimately turned out to be a campus police officer with a very small area to patrol around a community college. Of course, I'm sure the supervisor never lodged the complaint officially. Both officers there even acted like this was a "normal" thing surrounding said officer.

Never the less, after that experience, I will never trust them, ever again. They are just as guilty of the politicians. It takes two to tango.

What was my alleged crime that day? Who broke the law? Tell me why, after this experience, I should trust them ever again?

My distrust for them was earned through experience.
edit on 28-9-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Probably the only time I will EVER agree with Obama.

My oldest child does not fear law enforcement and I am so thankful for that. We were at a function and an officer was nearby and he walked right up to him and said "HELLO OFFICER HOW ARE YOU!" and I was so proud. I hope no one tarnishes this for him.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

Because he would never say something as simple as "Water is wet".

Of course not, why call attention to the obvious?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
My take on ATS and Obama..

He could say water is wet or the sky is blue and the same people here would be complaining about that.

Only because everything he's said and done up til now has been a lie.

If he tells any truth now, why should anyone believe him?

"Fool me once..."

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Police are enforcing the laws that politicians put into place.

Police are the unfortunate "face" of laws and legislation brought about by politicians who hide behind body guards and walled communities.

If people mistrust the police, it isn't because of the police, it's because of the laws that the police have been forced to enforce. People blame the police and are angry with the police because it is the police that are seen every day and are exposed to the public every day.

Not the politicians.

I normally agree with you but...

The excuse "I'm only following orders" has been used countless times throughout history to justify violence against the innocent. It's a nice way to excuse yourself from guilt.

Also, the good ones you speak of are just as guilty by not acting against their blue brothers. We would be held as an accomplice if we did the same.

But I always ask myself this...If I wore that badge could I commit these acts merely because I was ordered to even tho I knew it was wrong? NO.

To me, as soon as they put on the badge in the morning with knowledge of what went on yesterday makes them just as guilty.

"I'm only following orders" = I am a coward and therefore have no right to be in a protector role.

Peace

edit on 28-9-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join