It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Walkout Over Whitewash History Curriculum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

DENVER (AP) — Around 1,000 young people across several high schools in suburban Denver participated Wednesday in the largest of a series of student demonstrations opposing a new set of high school history standards proposed by a conservative-led school board.

Most of the young protesters gathered at a busy intersection, chanting "Education without limitation!" and waving signs and American flags.

The afternoon demonstration against a plan to focus class material on topics that promote patriotism and respect for authority while discouraging civil disorder lasted about three hours, authorities said.

Later, about 75 students from another area school walked out after meeting with Jefferson County school Superintendent Dan McMinimee about the proposal.

McMinimee has offered to meet with any students about the standards proposed by Julie Williams, one of three members of the school board's recently elected conservative majority.

The proposal in the state's second-largest school district comes in response to a new national framework for teaching Advanced Placement history.

www.sfgate.com...
Pls klik for the full story..all I can say as a self described amateur historian is I find this movement appalling pls get these nutjobs away from our kids.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I'm not American but this is awful- every single person who authorised/ suggested/ endorsed this idea should leave their post.

It's Cult of personality type stuff (with the personality being the nation itself) and is EXACTLY the type of thing that is the foundation to continue a fascist government. I'm not so wide eyed as to think various things haven't been coloured in a certain way in education syllabus' but to encourage "patriotism" is disgusting.

Patriotism is largely used as peer pressure to stunt the growth of dissidence and discussion.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Wow there might still be hope for the future.

organizing largely by social media

Another reason to undo Net neutrality. Lobbyiest running this country don't like to be questioned on their views and will use the undoing of net neutrality to ensure only their Point of view are heard, while other un-validated sites get put on the SLOOOOOOW lane.

The internet openned a can of Whoop Arse on them that they didn't see coming. Once they get complete control of it then they will be back on the gravy train. Internet should be treated like freedom of speech.

edit on 58930America/ChicagoSun, 28 Sep 2014 06:58:19 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

"while other un-validated sites get put on the SLOOOOOOW lane. "

Yes ,Yes and Yes and this is what i have been saying about Google and its search results that are tweaked to suite the states aganda and that now results in most of the internet being hidden.

Google needs 5000 lines of _javascript just to display a Google + button in your browser instead of an ATAG around a image should anyomne think they are anything other than NSA agents.

The freedom was good whilst it lasted but now it has gone and you are well advised to buy yourself a hardware firewall that blcoks outbound ports and then ignor microsoft advise to open all the ports to get anything working because they too are part of the NSA team.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Really need a better breakdown of the material being protested.

It takes some of us just a wee bit more than just dropping terms like "conservative" ect ect and then we bite.

This looks like the radicalization of an entire school system by reactionary radical liberal teachers without some more info.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Hope this helps.

Here is the PDF link for the doc in Question

The last paragraph really breaks down what all the controversy is about.

For me, I do see some duplicity. How can one keep history of America factual, if you need to clean up the curriculum with a positive light only? The facts are the real history of America is not all positive. It isn't all negative either, but children need to know it all, so future generations do no make the same past mistakes.
edit on 9 28 2014 by CynConcepts because: Clarify opinion

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It's all part of making a conformist and docile people. They've been degrading the school system for quite some time now. A stupid people make for a docile people. The media (music, movies, tv series, etc.) also play a major role.

I'm glad there are still some students with half a brain left that can think for themselves.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Thank you very much.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
There is a certain move in the U.S to be anti-scientific,anti-fact based and anti-intellectual soon the only education considered worthy will be the three Rs .in this they are matching fundies who are foreigners word for word using a slightly different play book.
Islamic State Bans Math, Social Studies, Evolution in Classrooms

Students will be forbidden to learn math, music, social studies (especially anything about elections or democracy), and even sports. Teachers who break the rules "will be punished," according to fliers posted in IS-controlled territory.
Students will instead learn all about "belonging to Islam," and how to "denounce infidelity and infidels."

www.newsweek.com...
Forget about ISIL/ISIS or the Taliban marching across the border they are already here and operating openly.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Review criteria shall include the following: instructional materials should present the most current factual information accurately and objectively. Theories should be distinguished from fact. Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in history should present balanced and factual treatment of the positions.

It sounds like the prior criteria for curriculum, some felt, were rife with disinformation, unfactual and unbalance. In fact if you read this closely it looks like a rebuttal to the opposite of everything posted above. That the prior curriculum was promoting anti americanism, social strife, capitalism bad ect.

I would love to see exactly, right out of the text books ect what was being taught that has caused the row.

PDF

edit on 28-9-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
Forget about ISIL/ISIS or the Taliban marching across the border they are already here and operating openly.

This hardly can be a warranted statement from the scant info we have here here.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom

I'm glad there are still some students with half a brain left that can think for themselves.

But they are not thinking for themselves but are being told what to do by their radical teachers who don't want to have their lefty curriculum brought under some scrutiny.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Sounds to me like this is an organized petty jealousy issue.

I bet a lot of fake and questionable teachings are being exposed.

Has this "Board Committee" actually been approved yet?

Lack of details.

added confusion.... this doc shows some cross-outs...
doc with cross outs

Hmmm.

edit on Sep-28-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I agree.

I think forming of the fed and banks should be well-taught as well. All of it. Especially WWI and WWII.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

From the last paragraph in your link:

Review criteria shall include the following:

1) Instructional materials should present the most current factual information accurately and
objectively.

2) Theories should be distinguished from fact.

3) Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights.

4) Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.

5) Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage.

6) Content pertaining to political and social movements in history should present balanced and factual treatment of the
positions.

You cannot have 6 because 4 and 5 run contrary to each other. This nation was made by the disobedience of the English towards their home country of England. If you take that out of the history books, if you adhere to rule 4, then you are disregarding rule 5. By doing that, you cannot adhere to rule 6.

If they taught number 3 in England in the 1700's, there would be no America.

As for number 2, they need to learn that lesson themselves before they try to teach it to others.

The whole thing sounds too rigid and structured for any constructive teaching or learning to be done. If the kids want to follow through, they all need to not go to that school until that "theory" of teaching methods gets scrapped. Schools depend on attendance and grades in order to keep the funding from the government coming in so the schools can continue to operate. Not showing up would kill the school, and the admin. knows this.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think students should sue the school-boards for trying to teach them lies about Humanitys History or anything else for that matter,I think it is lawsuits that will clean up the misdirection and lies being taught to our kids by Historians,well meaning or not,simply following the statuis qou and then referring to yourself as a Historian is a Sham.

top topics

join