It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

A question about dreams

page: 1

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:40 PM
I have a dream every once in awhile where I'm not conscious in the dream. Usually when I dream, I'm very conscious that I'm in a dream and I will usually intertwine my conscious reality into my dream.

For instance, last night I dreamed that I was at a party and I met Will Smith. It was just like being at a regular club and he asked me when did I first start listening to hip hop and I told him that him and Jazzy Jeff was some of the first hip hop I started listening to. I remember saying to myself in the dream, well that's a lie I first heard Sucker M.C.'s on the radio when I was in the car with my parents. But I consciously lied in the dream.

I knew it was a dream and I was aware of my conscious life in the dream. I usually dream this way. Also, I'm consciously aware when I'm about to wake up because the dream turns weird. For Instance, I walked out of the club and it wasn't a club it was an old store from a neighborhood I use to live in. If I'm dreaming about riding in a plane, when I'm about to wake up I might find myself riding on the wing of the plane. So I'm consciously aware when I'm about to wake up.

Maybe this comes from lucid dreaming and having out of body experiences where I actually watched my body lying in bed.

The other night though, I had a dream that scared me a little. I wasn't consciously aware that I was in a dream. I was using my brothers car and his car was stolen. I remember being scared and I couldn't get in contact with my family. It was crazy because I thought everything was real. I don't even remember coming out of the dream. Nothing weird happened and I just remember waking up and being confused that I was in my bed.

What's the norm? Are people usually conscious in their dreams? Maybe this is what death is like. It was just so weird waking up in my bed. It was like, how did I get here. This is how real the dream was. Has this happened to anyone else?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:48 PM
a reply to: neoholographic

Fascinating! It sounds to me like you're very aware of the compartmentalization of the mind when it enters other states of consciousness. You are aware both of the you that's immersed in the dream, and the more subtle presence that's looking at you in the dream-play, going "so, this is a dream..

You can get this sense of compartmentalization in the alpha stage of sleep where your mind is all a-chatter with mental gibberish, but there is still that subtle you thinking, "what the hell kind of silly thoughts are these?"

They seem to exist simultaneously, and somewhat independently of each other.

If I had to guess, I would say it's not the norm. I will continue to guess and say one becomes more attuned to this after experiencing lucid dreams,out of body experiences, and meditative states.

This is only speculation based on my experience though. I did not have a sense of this until after those doors were opened.

I hope you get some better answers because I find this topic highly intriguing!

edit on 27-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:09 PM
Yesterday I started reading 'The Power of Premonitions'.

I will never look at dreams the same way again...

On Friday, October 21, 1966, a mountain of coal waste, perched above the Welsh mining village of Aberfan, broke loose and came flowing down uncontrollably. A total of 144 people, including many children, were crushed or suffocated to death in one of Britain's most horrific peacetime tragedies. A study of dreams in which people see the future has convinced a doctor that we have a sixth sense.

But for one family, the overriding grief was even more acute. For one of those killed - ten-year-old Eryl Mai Jones - had not only predicted the catastrophe, but had warned her mother of it, too. In the days leading up to the atrocity, Eryl had told her mother she was 'not afraid to die'. 'I shall be with Peter and June,' she added.

Eryl's busy mother offered her imaginative daughter a lollipop and thought no more about it. Then, on October 20, the day before the disaster, Eryl said to her mother: 'Let me tell you about my dream last night. I dreamt I went to school and there was no school there. Something black had come down all over it!' The next day, Eryl's horrific premonition came to pass and she was killed alongside schoolfriends Peter and June. They were buried side-by-side in a mass grave, just as the youngster had predicted.

The in-depth study of our intriguing dreams that convinced one doctor

Amanda, a young mother living in Washington state, awoke one night at 2:30 a.m. from a nightmare. She dreamed that a large chandelier hanging above her baby’s bed in the next room fell into the crib and crushed the infant. In the dream, as she and her husband stood amid the wreckage, she saw that a clock on the baby’s dresser read 4:35 a.m. The weather in the dream was violent. Rain hammered the window, and the wind was blowing a gale. The dream was so terrifying she roused her husband and told him about it. He laughed, told her the dream was silly, and urged her to go back to sleep, which he promptly did.

But the dream had so frightened Amanda that she went to the baby’s room and brought the child back to bed with her. She noted that the weather was calm, not stormy as in the dream. Amanda felt foolish—until around two hours later, when she and her husband were awakened by a loud crash. They dashed into the nursery and found the crib demolished by the chandelier, which had fallen directly into it. Amanda noted that the clock on the dresser read 4:35 a.m. and that the weather had changed. Now there was howling wind and rain. This time, her husband was not laughing. Amanda’s dream was a snapshot of the future—down to the specific event, the precise time it would happen, and the change in weather.

The Power of Premonitions

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 08:02 PM
Don't be scared of this. It is normal for everyone to be lost in their dreams without knowing that they are dreaming. It just means your mind is opening up to new possibilities.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM

That is really cool! Mostly because you dream like I do!! My whole life, even when I was young, I was aware when I was in a dream. In my dreams I am consciously aware of the separation and will often work things in from my conscious brain. I wake up from dreams similarly too in that my dream will make an obvious change prior to waking up. I've even told myself in my dream 'well.. time to get up'. LOL

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
Living in a complete alternate dream world is normal for me... no connection between worlds. But I have had dreams like your normal ones which are rare. I think your dreams are unusual but could be wrong. Very interesting.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:48 AM

It's the difference between a Lucid Dream (you're aware you're dreaming) and a non lucid dream (you don't realize you're dreaming.)

The fact that you questioned if it's real, that would have been a food reality check to turn your dream lucid. From what I've read on your OP you sound like a natural lucid dreamer.

There have been times I've questioned if my dreams were real, at that point I realize things look a little bit off and take control of my dream.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 05:18 PM
By Larry Dossey? On MY I just checked out that book from the library. Interesting reading.
I posted a dream a few weeks ago about some guys dumping a disease into a river in Europe and this week someone started a thread about polio being dumped into a river in Europe. Weird huh? reply to: Murgatroid

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:55 AM

...last night I dreamed that I was at a party and I met Will Smith.

Rakim was posting happy-birthday message on FB to Will Smith the other day...

Spooky if your dream was on the same day as his birthday :/

This post:
edit on 29-9-2014 by RifRAAF because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2014 by RifRAAF because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:57 PM
a reply to: RifRAAF

I didn't know that. That's a little strange because I have rarely encountered stars in my dreams. Maybe my subconscious picked it up somewhere that it was his birthday.