It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Different country's Humour.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:09 PM
I've been off work for 2yrs or so with lung cancer, and in that time i have watched a lot more TV.

Now i will put my hands up i just don't get American humour, out of the drivel i have watched there are only 2 programs that i enjoyed they are Married with children and The King of Queens very funny very witty and almost British in the jokes and slapstick.

Comedys such as:

2and a half men
the middle
3rd rock from the sun
Are about as funny as falling face first in dog poop

Dont get me wrong British TV has not given us a decent comedy show since Only Fools and Horses.

Now when comedy shows first appeared like Charlie Chaplin,Laurel And Hardy etc they had an appeal all over the globe, but comedy shows now just don't have that appeal.Has our Humour changed over the years or is it depending where we are from or a we just getting miserable.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:17 PM
I agree. Married With Children is classic. I like Perfect Strangers and Seinfeld. Older shows mostly Ozzie Nelson, Life of Riley. And British shows, I prefer the classics like Hancock, George & Mildred. I was always a big fan of Keeping Up Appearances. Plus tons of other ones I can't think of right now.

Comedy certainly has changed and imo it mostly isn't funny anymore. S + F.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:41 PM
a reply to: KROandSOTV

the middle....i have fallen in love with that show. Mostly because the youngest boy reminds me of my nephew, and the girl reminds me of quite a few folks, my younger sister included.

If you aren't American, you won't likely enjoy it as much. The premise is that they are in the middle in every way. Middle America, middle class, on and on. They make comedy out of the struggles that a lot of folks in the "heartland" have every day. Right down to all the appliances having to be rigged, the roof being leaky, etc.

I don't watch much TV, and i am almost always let down by comedy/sitcoms. But "The Middle" and "Modern Family" tend to come up with fresh ideas (even on Friends, you just saw the same old schtick redone that has been done since the 60's).

My wife and I watch series together on netflix. Right now we are doing Lost, which i was skeptical of. Boy was I wrong! When that finishes ill get caught up on the current seasons of Arrow and Sons of Anarchy. Then we will have to find another series to consume.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:42 PM
Only fools and horses? Don't get me wrong, as much
as English people find it campy humour, I love the
show and it has probably the best comedic line i've
heard delivered- "Rodney, why'd you come back home?'
'Well I missed the place' - Del boy opens the curtains
to a dirty London suburb - "Even the bloody
luftwaffe didn't miss this place!"

But there has been some great English comedy since then!
The Mary Whitehouse Experience, QI (Anything with David
Mitchell makes me fawn like a fanboy), "Would I lie to you?"-
Rob Brydon AND Lee Mack!? What an embarresment of comic
riches. I realise I know way too much about English programming,
but hey, I've grown up in the commonwealth.

(Also, Little Britain, The league of Gentlemen, and Black Books!
An entire show with Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey? AGAIN! That
is awesomeness. Take a deep breath (no offence intended)
and have a good laugh.)
edit on 27-9-2014 by DelegateZero88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:29 PM
a reply to: DelegateZero88

Only Fools and Horses.... has David Jason right?

He's a great actor. Open All Hours and A Touch of Frost are super enjoyable.

Actually have to add for British crime shows I'm really into Cracker and Hetty Wainthrop (which is funny because of Patricia Rutledge).

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:13 PM
Married with Children is a classic
3rd Rock From The Sun is another fantastic American comedy show to.

Chris Rock, George Carlin and Lavelle Crawford are 3 of my favorite American comedians

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:15 PM
I clicked on the thread thinking/hoping it was going to be about what different cultures find amusing.
Slightly disappointed to find out its just an American humour bashing thread

That said I totally agree, Im an Aussie so am somewhat on the fence when it comes to Brit vs US comedy but for me its British humour all the way. Black Adder, Faulty towers, The Young ones, The (Original) Office just to name a few are absolute classics and America has nothing that even comes close to matching the wit, sophistication or delivery of these shows.
Another great thing (or maybe not so great thing) is British comedies always finish in their prime before they run out of good ideas. American shows just seem to go on and on to be milked for all their worth

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:18 PM
I don't watch enough anymore TV to have an informed opinion, of late.

But to me it seems that British humor leans toward the absurd and
silly and Yankee humor is more about self-irony and outrage.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I know for me
I get out laugh out of the absurd and silly ala Monty Python. To me
there's more art involved...but to each his own

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
As a Canuck I get both American and Brit shows. Haven't seen a lot of humour in either for a long time. In fact on my winter/spring DVD binge the only comedy I watched was Canadian. Corner Gas.

ETA: I DO like the cartoons though. Futurama, Family Guy, Archer, etc.
edit on 27-9-2014 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:19 PM
a reply to: intrepid

For Canadian shows I'm guilty of only seeing two: Kids In The Hall (I have the entire series and used to watch it on Comedy Central back in the 90s) and Da Vinci's Inquest.

I think very highly of them and I think Nicholas Campbell delivered an excellent performance.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:06 PM
Of the American comedies, I would have to say my favorites are:
Married with Children
King of Queens
All in the Family
Green Acres

British comedies I've enjoyed are:
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served
Red Dwarf

The only Canadian show that I'm aware of would be the Red Green Show.

Keep your stick on the ice and remember, I'm pulling for you because we're all in this together.
edit on 9/27/2014 by N3k9Ni because: Eta

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:09 PM
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Green Acres! It's often forgotten. There was something permanently being released into Hooterville's air. Not to mention Pixley.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:15 PM

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Green Acres! It's often forgotten. There was something permanently being released into Hooterville's air. Not to mention Pixley.

I love how there's always some absurd thing that everyone seemed to know about except Oliver.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:17 PM

Lisa fits in perfectly haha. It's hard for me to pick a favorite character but I'd probably go with Hank Kimball, the County Agent. When they went to Washington, DC, Hank walked right through the Secretary of Agriculture's office door. Glass everywhere and he keeps going.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:28 PM
A different country's Humour is Humor in America

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:36 PM

originally posted by: douglas5
A different country's Humour is Humor in America

Only without U.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 08:46 PM
Scottish comedy shows by far my favourite.. Still Game and Rab C. Nesbit are awesome.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 01:10 AM

I hear ya. Our TV shows have gone downhill fast. I like your shows better... Doc Martin, Derek, Call the Midwife, for example.

Have you tried "Modern Family" ?
It's best if you can find it online somewhere and watch it from the first episode onwards, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:23 AM

I like both American and British comedy but prefer British. Shows like A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Blackadder, Little Britain and Fawlty Towers are the best.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:48 AM
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Fawlty Towers, agreed!

And definitely Doc Martin. I love how his character in the movies before the series was different. Very happy, carefree but still very selfish and arrogant.

I have to add I am a big fan of Father Ted, it was from Ireland. Can't beat Bishop Brennan or as Dougal calls him, Len.
edit on 28-9-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>