It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek woman feared 'buried alive' by accident after mourners hear cries for help from coffin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yes your worst nightmare come true. Imagine the panic and utter desperation. If its true then one horrible way to die.

www.independent.co.uk...

Police in Greece are investigating reports suggesting a woman woke up in a coffin after being buried, only to suffocate to death before rescuers could reach her.

People visiting a cemetery in the town of Peraia, near Thessaloniki, on Thursday morning reported hearing banging sounds and muffled shouting from inside the woman’s grave, an hour after she had been buried.

They called the police who began digging up the grave to try and save her. However, she was found dead when they reached the coffin.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be very obvious that this woman died in this manner?

Thus did give me chills btw.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The thought that poped up in my mind is.

When there is no more room in hell, The dead will walk the earth.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=

First the ebola patients that died and later came back to life now we have a women awaking in her coffin.!!!

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I can see the wealthy paying people to sit with their corpses until they begin to show decomposition. They did it in the past, and I don't blame people for still being frightened of this. S + F

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Reminds me of Schrodinger's cat. Over time, the woman may be alive or dead, existing in two states.

I wonder what her body temperature was when they finally dug her up and pronounced her dead? Anyone can dig up a corpse and pronounce it dead.

They really don't confirm if she was actually buried alive or not. All they have to go by were the claims of those who were mourning. We all know how emotional people can become. Some people are still in disbelief the person has died.

It's sad, she probably used her available oxygen twice as fast, just by screaming and yelling to get out.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Kinda makes one wonder just how often does this actually happen?

A California family who claims a loved one was prematurely declared dead, and then "frozen alive" while trying to escape a morgue freezer, has filed a lawsuit against the hospital.

According to the lawsuit, Maria de Jesus Arroyo, 80, suffered a heart attack on July 26, 2010, and was pronounced dead by a doctor at White Memorial Medical Center in Boyle Heights, Calif. Arroyo's body was laid out so that her family could pay their respects before it was taken to the hospital’s morgue, where it was placed inside a refrigerated compartment, pending pickup by a mortician.

It was during Arroyo's time in the refrigerated compartment, the lawsuit alleges, that something -- which under different circumstances might have been viewed as a miracle -- turned into a nightmare.

"She was put into that body bag while she was alive," the family's attorney, Scott Schutzman, alleged to The Huffington Post. "The cold from the hospital morgue woke her up, and she was fighting her way out when she died."

When morticians later received Arroyo's body from the morgue, the lawsuit claims, they found her facedown rather than faceup. Her nose was broken, and she had cuts and bruises to her face, according to the court papers.

Woman Mistakenly Declared Dead Died Trying To Escape Morgue Freezer

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
A quick Google search tells me that this does in fact happen a LOT...

Williams had woken up inside at a funeral home two weeks ago. A 78-year-old Mississippi man has died two weeks after he woke up in a body bag at a funeral home after being mistakenly pronounced deceased, a coroner said. Holmes County Coroner Dexter Howard said Walter Williams died at his home in Lexington around 1 a.m. Thursday. The cause was not released. Williams' story went viral after he was pronounced dead Feb. 26. Workers at Porter and Sons Funeral Home were getting ready to embalm him when Williams started to move.

Declared Dead, Mississippi Man Wakes Up Inside Body Bag

"George Rodonaia underwent one of the most extended cases of a near-death experience ever recorded. Pronounced dead immediately after he was hit by a car in 1976, he was left for three days in the morgue. He did not "return to life" until a doctor began to make an incision in his abdomen as part of an autopsy procedure.

95-year-old Li Xiufeng climbed out of her unsealed coffin six days after she'd been found "dead" in her bedroom. The day before the funeral, friends and relatives arrived at her house to find the coffin empty and the corpse gone. After searching for the missing body, the villagers were stunned to find Mrs. Xiufeng sitting on a stool in her kitchen, cooking.

A grandmother has been brought back from the dead twice - and has even survived spending three days in a morgue. The 61-year-old Russian woman has been declared dead twice by doctors, but each time has come back to life - and once was minutes away from being cut open for her autopsy. Hardy Lyudmila Steblitskaya spent 3 days lying in a freezing cold morgue, while her family mourned the retired cook.

The Man Who Woke Up Screaming for Help in a Morgue Fridge After Having an Asthma Attack. A South African man awoke to find himself in a morgue fridge—nearly a day after his family thought he had died. Health department spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said that the man awoke 21 hours after his family called in an undertaker, who sent him to the morgue after an asthma attack. Morgue owner Ayanda Maqolo said he sent his driver to collect the body shortly after the family reported the death.

The Dead Woman Who Started Breathing Again as Her Daughter was Saying Goodbye in the Morgue. A woman who was pronounced dead, wrapped in plastic, and put in a morgue was found breathing by her daughter when she went to say her last goodbyes. According to reports, the 60-year-old woman had spent two hours inside a plastic bag in a refrigerated drawer after "dying" from a pulmonary infection at Estadual Adao Pereira Nunes Hospital in Brazil.

Dead Brazilian Boy Who Sat Up in the Coffin at His Own Funeral and Asked for Water before lying back down lifeless. A two-year-old boy sat up in his coffin and asked for water before laying back down again lifeless, according to a Brazilian news website. In a case that seems almost too incredible to be true, ORM claimed that Kelvin Santos stopped breathing during treatment for pneumonia at a hospital in Belem, northern Brazil.

But an hour before his funeral was due to take place, the boy apparently sat up in his coffin and said, "Daddy, can I have some water?". The boy's father, Antonio Santos, said, "Everybody started to scream, we couldn't believe our eyes. Then we thought a miracle had taken place and our boy had come back to life. Then Kelvin just laid back down, the way he was. We couldn't wake him. He was dead again."

The Woman Who Died of a Heart Attack After the Shock of Waking Up at Her Own Funeral. A Russian woman recently died, incredibly and tragically, after suffering a heart attack brought on by the utter shock of waking up at her own funeral. Fagilyu Mukhametzyanov, 49, had been mistakenly declared dead by doctors. She later woke up in a coffin surrounded by sobbing relatives, at which point she began screaming at the realization that she was about to be buried alive.

Mourners got the fright of their lives as they filed past their loved one in a coffin… when he started moving! Brighton Dama Zanthe, 34, “died” after a long illness at home in Zimbabwe. However, the deceased's boss noticed him moving as he filed past while paying his last respects at the funeral. Mourners “jumped out of their skins” and ran in horror, imagining that Mr. Zanthe had come back from the dead to haunt them. But when they realized the truth, he was taken to the hospital at Gweru, where he was put on life support for two days before going back home.

10 People Who Woke Up After Being Pronounced Dead

edit on 27-9-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Bloody hell, it does happen alot, scary stuff.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If she has been screaming and knocking it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if she was buried alive when they opened the coffin, she would most likely lay in a different position as to how she was laid.

Every person should be buried with a suicide pill, just in case, but you most likely would die fast from lack of oxygen.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: EnigmaAgent
They really don't confirm if she was actually buried alive or not. All they have to go by were the claims of those who were mourning. We all know how emotional people can become.

I would think when the dug her up, if she had been screaming and banging around, her positioning after her '2nd death' would not have looked at all like the nicely arranged, hands folded version of when they first put her in there. More like... messy hair, body askew, mouth open, maybe eyes open.

I'm just saying, they surely have more to go on than the claims of the people who reported it.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I was reminded of the story in one of Mark Twain's books about the "death rooms" found in, I think, Germany or somewhere in that vicinity. They would lay out the dead in a room, all of whom had rings on that attached to a string, the string then ran up through the ceiling into a room manned by a watchman. Any movement of the finger or body would cause the string to ring a bell that it was attached to, and the watchman could then go and tend to the person downstairs. The story itself that he relates is probably not true since it was so fantastic, but I wonder if these death rooms actually existed? I wouldn't doubt it.

How hard would it be to hook up an EKG or something to tell if someone is truly dead? I mean simply trying to find a pulse is not always successful, as the pulse could be so weak and the breathing so slow that even the best doctor could miss it. I guess we should start putting some kind of system in coffins for the first day after burial, perhaps a string running to a box that will alert someone. Or better yet, just don't bury or cremate anybody right away. And don't put them in a freezer, unless the freezer has a way to be opened from the inside.

I think that implementing safety measures would be worth it, because even one person dying in such a horrific and preventable manner, all alone, is too many. I mean think about the woman screaming and panicking within her own coffin. She has to try to get the attention of those nearby, but she cannot know if she has been heard. Therefore she continues using up the hour or so of oxygen that might have been present. Absolutely unacceptable that this would occur anywhere. The cheapest method would be to simply watch the bodies, or keep them laid out before embalming. Which is another thing. How many people have been alive when their blood was drained? Horrible to consider. Apparently they didn't embalm the woman who was buried alive.
edit on 9/27/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Embalming was adopted not only to preserve bodies for funerals, but to make sure they were dead.

"Not so mortem" happened all the time... to the extant that some wealthy folks were buried with a string that led to a little bell above ground.

Just another reason I don't want to die...

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
a reply to: JiggyPotamus
...some wealthy folks were buried with a string that led to a little bell above ground.

A few years ago, I learned that is where the phrase "saved by the bell" originated!

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
This kind of thing can possibly happen. When I was a kid a fellow died on the operating table in the hospital where my mum worked. While the orderly was wheeling him out to the morgue over rough cement he woke up and spoke to the poor old wardsman who nearly had a heart attack! He said " can you put my leg back up I am falling off the trolley". This is a true story and I visited the guy in hospital as he was a scout like my brother and I. He was only a young bloke and had had a bike accident. He very nearly ended up in the freezer alive and they had to race him back to theatre and sew him up properly.
edit on 28-9-2014 by grumpy64 because: because

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
WHEN A PERSON DIES, IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY THAT HIS/HER BLOOD BE REMOVED; THAT WAY ONE WOULD NEVER HAVE TO FEAR WAKING UP IN THE GRAVE. THAT'S NOT ONLY HORRIBLE FOR THE PERSON WHO HAD SUPPOSEDLY DIED, BUT ALSO FOR THE POOR FAMILY WHO MUST SUFFER THROUGH TERRIBLE NIGHTMARES.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

The same reason the term 'graveyard shift' came from as well

new topics

top topics

join