It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following Reports of Forced Sterilization of Female Prison Inmates, California Passes Ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a bill Thursday prohibiting forced sterilization in prisons. A report last year said that female inmates at facilities were being coercively sterilized as recently as 2010.
Nearly 150 female inmates were sterilized between 2006 and 2010 by doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, according to the Center for Investigative Reporting. A May state audit reported that some of the tubal ligations in that time were done illegally without informed consent, according to Justice Now, an advocacy group.
“Pressuring a vulnerable population into making permanent reproductive choices without informed consent is unacceptable, and violates our most basic human rights,” said state Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson (D), the bill’s sponsor, in a statement.
Kelli Dillon, a Los Angeles domestic violence counselor, said she experienced forced sterilization when she was 24 years old in a California prison and said the bill “will protect the rightful reproductive capacity of women inside prison.”
“No one should have their opportunity to be a mother taken away or decided for them,” she said in a statement.
The bill prohibits sterilization as a form of birth control except for certain medical emergencies and was passed unanimously by the California Senate and Assembly.
Washinton Post

WTF! Am I the only one that hasn't heard of this until now?
Well I'd like to go on an expletive filled rant right now but maybe I need to look at the details of this a bit closer before I pass complete judgement. I am going to look around and try to see if there is any information as to the specifics of these cases.

Right now though this seems to wrong on many different levels.
I you have any other information as to this please post.

Thanks, AB

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Maybe they should sterilize the guards that are getting them pregnant. .
Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

that is pretty #ed up...I know they had a program somewhere where you could get paid, maybe in England?, to be sterilized if you chose it

but to do this without them knowing...it is great bodily harm...police can kill someone if they are attempting to stop great bodily harm...yet they are forcing it

glad i left that # hole of a country

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Am I the only one that hasn't heard of this until now?

Ditto.

Like they didn't tell us they were doing it before, but I believe them now telling us they will stop.

Nazis did this early on in their ethnic cleansing ideology. The first "official" baby steps were sterilization and euthanasia programs directed at those "lives not worth living".

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The really tiny number (150) leads me to believe this was not a program. This sounds like more of Jerry Brown political grandstanding than anything else. a reply to: AnteBellum

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Parthin

One person is one too many. The fact that in California one of the so called "liberal" bastions there are instances of something the Nazi's were known for is a huge red flag.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Parthin

I'd like to believe that but it seems this has been going on for a lot longer:

(NaturalNews) A new report issued by The Center for Investigative Reporting (CIR), a non-profit journalism group fighting injustice around the world, has uncovered some dark secrets lurking in the California prison system. According to information gathered from both state documents and personal interviews, CIR found that at least 148 female prisoners were illegally sterilized by contracted medical personnel at California prisons between 2006 and 2010, and perhaps hundreds more were unlawfully sterilized in years prior.

Between 1997 and 2010, state funds were distributed to the tune of nearly $150,000 to perform a procedure known as tubal ligation on hundreds of female inmates, some of whom were aggressively coerced into agreeing to the procedure. And two prisons in particular, the California Institution for Women in Corona and the Valley State Prison for Women in Chowchilla, appear to have openly condoned the practice, which was targeted towards inmates who had served multiple prison terms.

Former Valley State Prison for Women OB-GYN Dr. James Heinrich was one the primary instigators, having actively pressured inmates to agree to the procedure. Multiple women who had once served terms at the facility claim Dr. Heinrich targeted them for the irreversible procedure, some while they were lying on hospital beds about to give birth to their children. Federal law prohibits pressing a woman to consent to such a medical procedure during labor or childbirth.

"As soon as he found out that I had five kids, he suggested that I look into getting it done," said Christina Cordero, a 34-year-old mother who served two years at Valley State for auto theft, to CIR. "He made me feel like a bad mother if I didn't do it."
Link to 6/2013 Article
edit on 9/27/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Maybe they should sterilize the guards that are getting them pregnant. .
Just a thought.

Have the fathers pay child support to offset prison costs & child welfare.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I'm wondering how many fathers are in the other side of the prison?

Of course now if they attempted to do the male version of this sterilization program, I wonder what kind of outcry that would stir up. Not to mention the fact that it's reversible in men.

What about dead-beat dad's with 5 kids and noncompliant with child support?
edit on 9/27/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This is freakin crazy?!? Whoever thought it was a fantastic idea to sterilize female inmates is so absurd, it just doesn't make sense. This is just inhumane and I feel sorry for those who've endured this. These women may have done some bad things, but sterilizing them without their consent is a severe human rights violation.

This could be a way for them to not have these women reproduce due to their crimes and/or so the COs can have it their way by launching their rockets without repercussions.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FeistyFemme

American elites have purposed eugenics for almost our entire history. There was a large sterilization program aimed at the mentally ill for a long time. Bill Gates is well known for carrying the eugenics torch. Just research eugenics in America. It's truly frightening. Huge segments of the population respected Hitler for his efforts which is why we took so long to join the war.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I find the similarities between historical events becoming more and more alarming. Obviously, these are separate issues in general, but certain qualities do stand out.

I was reading a thread the other day about many voicing depopulation. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a test study group that became too popular. I also find it interesting that I can't find any information as to how this all got started in the first place.

Someone has to be behind it!?!
edit on 9/27/2014 by AnteBellum because: spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well, that would be one thing Jerry Brown has done right. I have always been against forced sterilization of any kind. It harkens too much to the Margaret Sanger/Rockefeller days of the American Birth Control League, and has continued to this day in ways we may not have heard about. It is good this is being exposed. I applaud Brown signing and whoever came up with the bill in defense of women's self control of their own bodies. Forced sterilization is a horrendous abuse of women and men by the State.

Who's behind it? Ultimately Rockefeller et al Club of Rome Agenda 21 Elites
edit on 27-9-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FeistyFemme

My thought was that someone believed that women inmates bearing children while in prison was probably bad for the children of course and that the children would end up in foster homes or put up for adoption, but to me it still does not warrant sterilization without consent(and they could probably have ways of inducing "consent" as well), and anyway how can women in prison get preggie? Two ways, conjugal visits or unwanted intercourse by prison guards.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Just what we need, a bill to prevent the pregnancies of the worst in our society. All inmates serving life sentences w/ parole should be sterilized.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'll be the one with the dissenting opinion yet again... I think that male and female prison inmates who commit certain crimes should absolutely be sterilized.

Make it part of their sentence... if you commit 3 felonies, you get snipped. If you commit a violent crime, you get snipped. Convicted rapists become eunuchs.

55% of state prisoners have a kid under 18... 63% of Federal prisoners. Most people who end up in prison will eventually be back.
edit on 9/27/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: th3dudeabides

Even though many might be wrongly accused? Even though many children of bad parents can be good people? I'm constantly amazed by the short sighted self centered comments I see on a site like this.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Anyone with a basic overview of history should be terrified. So far the Western powers seem to be drawing from the playbooks of all the worst people in history. The parallels between pre ww2 Germany and modern America are staggering. All we need to set it in motion is economic collapse.

This American Life's new story on the Fed and various other signs point to a collapse coming too. That's why the tax inversion stuff is coming up now. The ones with inside information can see it coming.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: th3dudeabides

Even though many might be wrongly accused? Even though many children of bad parents can be good people? I'm constantly amazed by the short sighted self centered comments I see on a site like this.

A few might be wrongly accused. The term "many" is not accurate.

Just because some children of people in prison end up being good people, why open the door to that situation in the first place? Wouldn't it be better if the child was not born to a criminal parent instead of rolling the dice and giving the kid a life with a scumbag parent who's likely to end up back in prison?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So should we sterilize Donald Trump? He's the worst kind of criminal. But he isn't a poor, black guy so he gets a pass. How far up your own ass is your head right now? Can you see your breakfast yet?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join