It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New laws will give ASIO licence to kill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Sweeping new anti-terror laws to be introduced to Parliament on Wednesday will give ASIO the power to kill suspects.

The new legislation will give ASIO agents a licence to kill in extreme circumstances, such as self-defence or to protect the lives of others.

Attorney General George Brandis will also push for a change to the criminal code and introduce a penalty for the offence of "advocating terror".

The change will mean radical preachers who incite "hate speech" can be jailed for up to five years.

Read more at www.9news.com.au...

New laws will give ASIO licence to kill

Wow, AU is going hard core. Not only this, but the new law includes 10 year jail time for the press for whistle blowing or divulging operations. In addition to that...

The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) has been granted the power to essentially monitor the entire Australian web with only one warrant, with the government’s first set of national security laws passing the Senate with bipartisan support last night.

www.news.com.au...

Crazy times we live in

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I can feel my rights being stripped right off of me, lol.

To be fair though, Australia never really had a bill of rights.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The new legislation will give ASIO agents a licence to kill in extreme circumstances, such as self-defence or to protect the lives of others.

Attorney General George Brandis will also push for a change to the criminal code and introduce a penalty for the offence of "advocating terror".

The change will mean radical preachers who incite "hate speech" can be jailed for up to five years.

I totally agree with these measures...

Penalties for advocating terror and hate speech. Definately agree. Kill in self defence or to protect lives. Definately agree.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

Kill in self defense

That's code for, shoot em on the spot. Things are going to get crazy in the next 5-10 years

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
this is a slippery slope indeed.....i wonder how long it will be then until people will be getting arrested for a rant of facebook...someone venting a bit could land themselves in big trouble

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I totally agree with these measures...

Penalties for advocating terror and hate speech. Definately agree. Kill in self defence or to protect lives. Definately agree.

So what happens when the lines start blurring and hate speech can just as easily be defined as speaking your mind about the government trampling on our so called democratically elected rights? Where does it stop?

There is an us vs. them mentality between the government and it's slaves in this country, one that will worsen as the government pushes this anti-islamic agenda to get us all real scared and applauding their every move to take our freedoms away.

Do you really think the real terrorists use Google to search for stuff or Facebook to promote their latest hate agenda? That being the case what right does ASIO have to spy, modify and collect data from any or all computers in this country, including those that use public networks. C'mon.

This is nothing more than a license for both ASIO and the government to silence any dissent or real protest among people who don't agree with what the government says or does. Sure, there may be real terrorists or even militant groups within our own country that mean the people harm. But that's just a cover for what they're really doing.

edit on 27/9/2014 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 74Templar
There is an us vs. them mentality between the government and it's slaves in this country, one that will worsen as the government pushes this anti-islamic agenda to get us all real scared and applauding their every move to take our freedoms away.

^^That.

It all starts as something "good" and everyone is for it, then in time it starts to be used against everyone. By then it's too late cause the laws have been expanded to include almost everyone.

Same crap happened after 9/11 and now it's happening in Australia.

I wonder how the people of Australia are taking this. Are they all accepting of it?
Probably more concerned about their iPhone 6's and the newest episode of whatevers popular on TV there.
At least that's how I think people around where I live would be.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Probably more concerned about their iPhone 6's and the newest episode of whatevers popular on TV there. At least that's how I think people around where I live would be.

close but no cigar...it is the footy grandfinals so the timing is perfect as the masses have their attention spans in tunnel vision (more so than usual)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Im in Australia and yes Australians are begrudingly accepting of it with real terror plots and one terror attack last week the times have changed in this country,unlike other Western nations some real push back is starting.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Well, it's good to hear that the Australian people are at least making an honest attempt at fighting this.

With things like this going around, pretty soon the people will be completely defenseless against their Government.
Supreme Court Justice Michael David seeks total firearms prohibition
A thread was just started about that Here.

I seriously can't express how sick and tired I am of ALL the bull[snip] going on without getting banned.
It's long past the time when Governments stay the [snip] out of our lives. Stop playing nanny and start being more productive towards the betterment of man.

Sadly it's just a matter of time before my country follows suit and starts to strip away more of our rights again and further criminalize the common man.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

We are allowed lever,bolt and certain pump action weapons the guy is delusional there is feral pest problems and other reasons why guns will always be in society you cant ban them outright.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

The problem is this has come on so fast that people have not really had the chance to even get riled up. All this news is little more than a week old, and conveniently pushed through. We went from terror raids to stabbings to beheadings to new laws within the space of just over a week.

One might say it could very well kind of planned, not really out of the blue. I mean writing up a 300+ page document of new laws and getting it passed through parliament should only take four days right?

Social media here is abuzz with it at the moment, but of course, also conveniently, it has fallen on grand final weekend when most of the plebs are off cheering blindly at the smoke and mirrors just away from the main attraction.

Look over here serfs! Don't worry about what's going on over there, just look here!

This idiot judge hasn't a clue about how either gun laws work, or even what the real implications of a completely disarmed society will have. What he fails to realise, like most idiots of this calibre is criminals, bikie gangs and terrorists tend not to follow the law. They aren't lining up at their local licensing agency for a firearms test.

Gun ownership and licenses are higher in Australia now than they were in 1996 when Port Arthur happened. We are only restricted by the types of guns we can keep, and there are special provisions with which to keep semi automatic and automatic weapons, as long as they are stored and cared for correctly. To say just because someone lives in a city they shouldn't have access to any weapons is just ignorance at it's best. Last time I looked we are still a free country, regardless of location. This almost smells to me like mass disarmament of high population. You know, just like fish in a barrel.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
And so it begins..........

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Any Australians have second thoughts / regrets about giving up your guns?

edit on 27-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Sure is oddly quiet in here.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I had some weapons that I had to surrender (was compensated for those) and some that I could have kept if I complied with the new regulations related to storage etc. I chose not to keep any of them and no second thoughts about it at all. If I felt the need to be armed for protection reasons it would mean I was choosing the wrong place to be residing and the weapons I had at the time had been for sporting use when I'd been living in a rural location - they hadn't seen any use after moving house to a city suburb.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Why are these laws being rammed through so quickly without any proper investigation of the bills being brought forward. There are already more than sufficient laws on the books existing already to deal with the threat of terrorism.

Could an extremely unpopular Prime Minister wanting to appear tough and boost his ratings in the polls have anything to do with it? Could an authoritarian government that doesn't like debate about their (very unpopular) policies have anything to do with it?

Nah, I must be a conspiracy theorist.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: FlySolo

Any Australians have second thoughts / regrets about giving up your guns?

Here. Educate yourself. We aren't sitting around utterly defenseless you know....

Gun politics and licensing

Gun numbers top pre-Port Arthur levels in Australia

Australian gun laws and shooting death statistics since 1997

Trust me on this, you invade our homes or threaten our families, just like anywhere else in the world including the US, you're gonna have a bad time. The methods may be different, but the end result will still be the same.

As a culture we may well seem pretty laid back. Push us too far and you'd find out very quickly different.

edit on 27/9/2014 by 74Templar because: sp

new topics

top topics

join