It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 month of jail for having a spoon in your vehicle? ETA: NM field test showed meth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: abecedarian

thats how you get high and lose your job when you fail a drug test

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Okay so field test for meth was performed?...

In that case the only failing in the system is how long it
took for the lab to perform a follow-up test--while this woman
sat in jail.

After looking at the evidence and acting like an arm-chair
prosecutor, I'd say one possible scenario is that the spoon
was used for meth, and then later used for food, without
being cleaned first.

So there was enough meth to field test positive, but not enough
to verify a follow-up test.

And if that's the case, then, in this instance justice was served
pretty well IMO.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rival

After looking at the evidence and acting like an arm-chair prosecutor, I'd say one possible scenario is that the spoon was used for meth, and then later used for food, without being cleaned first.

You just indicted someone based on a scenario. Same play book the justice system uses.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.

People actually believe that a field test kit is more accurate than a lab test?

You people amaze me with your ignorance.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: Witness2008

I think a lot of officers feel that putting a meth addict or crack addict in jail serves a valid moral purpose.

That person off the street may equal less burglaries, thefts, or frauds that an innocent person may become a victim of during an addicts search for funding off their habbit.

Of course just because a person is addicted to meth doesn't mean they are going to commit other crimes. However all to often it does.

The problem is if you start throwing people in jail for what they might do, we're all guilty of everything. I might go kill someone, or rob a bank, or commit fraud. Should I be held liable for those actions before I take them? The same is true of a meth addict.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No not pre crime detection.

I think it well accepted that a vast majority of crime such as thefts and burglaries can be attributed to drug usage.

If a person is in possession of an illegal drug they are arrested for that specific crime.

That arrest may result in the prevention of other crimes.

However to say you are arresting the person for no reason other than preventing a future crime is a fallacy. You are arresting them for drug possession which is against the law.

edit on 27-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AntiDude

Good God maybe she was actually eating from the container or maybe she wasn't.

A spoon can be used for many things other than eating.

I am just trying to look at it from another perspective.

I forgot looking at all possible scenarios is frowned upon now on ATS.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Yeah I am a complete idiot. Beautiful ad hominem attack right there.

I bring another valid possibility to the situation and it is insinuated that I have a low IQ.

That is the new norm for ATS.

It is time I start making my exit from ATS. It is clear what i have to contribute is not wanted here.

Have fun guys.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I bring another valid possibility to the situation and it is insinuated that I have a low IQ.

I don´t think you get why it was insinuated.

A spoon can be used for many things other than eating. I am just trying to look at it from another perspective.

Did they check it for blood, maybe she stabbed someone in the neck with it too.

edit on 27-9-2014 by AntiDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
In general I think Torquey adds some needed perspective whether or not its agreed with, there is value to having him here.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I agree that his perspective is valuable, and what I have read of his many posts has been very enlightening. It is not often that we have the opportunity to see the mind set of law enforcement in such a relaxed setting.

I am counting on LEO's to start pushing the changes that our society needs to see in order that our trust be regained.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

One of the things which you may be beginning to see in some threads is that there is not a search for truth by many members.

Pick a subject such as Ukraine, Israel, Police, and others and you will find that there is no interest in discussing the subject or learning anything about it. Many look at the title and decide that it is an opportunity to display scorn and mockery for Ukraine, Israel, or the Police. They may go on to read the OP, but that's optional. As far as reading and evaluating the source article, well, that's very rare indeed.

It helps to realize what will happen in a thread simply by the title. About the best one can do is enter your best argument, then watch the fun as posters deflect or ignore what you've said. Happens all the time.

Stick around. I might have something that you'll enjoy and find refreshing. On second thought, I'll send you a U2U.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: AntiDude

Perhaps it was used for meth and when they were pulled over for the traffic violation she hid it in the container with the spaghetti sauce.

Speculation.

This is what I find messed up.

It innocent until proven guilty. Right?

But the whole thing seems to be the opposite as she was jailed before she even had a freaking trial!

Sure if the first test turned a positive she should have been arrested and the spoon and car confiscated for further investigation. But why the hell was she not bailed!

It was a freaking spoon with only traces of meth on it! Surely not worth being held a month on remand on!

She should have been bailed awaiting for inquiry and a court case.

edit on 28-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

After missing a pretrial hearing, Huff said she gave Jackson County police a false name, leading to 13 days in jail. Huff was reincarcerated in the Hall County Jail on Aug. 2 for a Superior Court arrest order and could not afford bond, her public defender Chris van Rossem said.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This is a very serious situation, and I think some posters are treating it as a joke. I am totally behind the War on Sauce. If the U.S. goes easy on sauce in one state, what's next, people voting to make it legal? They don't call it "sauce" for nothing. And haven't you heard the term 'Flying Saucer', which is a description of criminals who fly sauce into the country? I say lock 'em up and throw away the spoons.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Torquey, I for one appreciate your perspective and your experience, like I posted before, you seem to be offering a more fair and balanced view point. I may not agree with all of it, but it makes me think about the LEO side of things like this.

You're not going to convince everyone here, and maybe your POV is accepted by only a small percentage of ATSers, but there is great value in hearing what you have to say based on your real life experiences. The LEO's in this case followed protocol and like your said, the problem was related to how this was handled after the cops did their job. Anyway, it really sucks how people here will attack the messenger, but please don't give up telling the other side of these situations, at least I'm giving it consideration and there must be others who are too.

Just to add a thought, if there was actually drug residue on the spoon, the woman who was jailed said that she borrowed the spoon, and can of O's, from a friend. Perhaps the friend used that spoon for their junk and they should be investigated as well.

Somehow I think that would have gone beyond what they were willing to spend to bust some small time drug user considering they had a suspected perp in the jail house already. I also suspect they will be keeping an "eye" on this suspect, who may get pulled over again and again until they can pin something on her. Just my pessimistic opinion though, no reflection on you so don't take it personal, it wasn't meant to be.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I agree, stick around Torquey, your opinion does count, it realy does..and like has been said you cannot change everyones mind. Hell I have been a dick on some of these threads but for sure the few words we have exchanged has made me change my pov to some degree. Im still not lovin the police on a whole..lol but I believe you are fair and add the needed perspective that comes from a good cop..you have alot of patience.
As far as this story goes Its a mess, the girl by giving a false name caused a good deal of the problem. and realy what needs to happen is a shift in drug policies.
Cheers and stick around.
D.
edit on 28-9-2014 by vonclod because: can't spell in the a.m.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Thats called being guilty until proven innocent. Just imagine if they had raided my car and found the fork i used 2 years ago to eat a piece of cake. I know they are trying to keep drugs off the street, but at some point you have to use common sense people. How about next time if the person isn't all tatted up, and doesn't appear to be a druggie you let her go, and still test the object and only arrested if it test positive then?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Royal76
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Thats called being guilty until proven innocent. Just imagine if they had raided my car and found the fork i used 2 years ago to eat a piece of cake. I know they are trying to keep drugs off the street, but at some point you have to use common sense people. How about next time if the person isn't all tatted up, and doesn't appear to be a druggie you let her go, and still test the object and only arrested if it test positive then?

Or just dont waste time and money over a stupid spoon and go fight REAL crime?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join