It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 month of jail for having a spoon in your vehicle? ETA: NM field test showed meth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
???

GAINESVILLE, Florida (KRON) — A Florida woman may pursue legal action against police and prosecutors after she spent more than a month in jail for possession of SpaghettiOs. Police say they arrested 23-year old Ashley Gabrielle Huff after they found a spoon covered with a suspicious residue inside the car she was riding in. From the beginning Huff insisted that she wasn’t using, selling, or making methamphetamines. The woman spent more than a month in jail while her attorney tried to arrange a plea bargain. That’s when the crime lab report came back confirming the spoon was encrusted with spaghetti sauce. She was then released from custody. Police say they were acting in good faith. Huff may now pursue legal action against the police departments, the jails, and the D.A.’s office for malicious prosecution and unlawful arrest.

Marijuana has long been known as a "gateway" drug to Spaghetti - Os. She's probably smoking a fat Twinkie as we speak.

Did everyone miss the part where her lawyer was trying for a plea bargain.....for illegal use of spaghettiO's ????

This is religious persecution of Pastafarians.

Legalize SpagettiOs now! 20 • Reply • Share › Avatar Arthur Hinty • a day ago The police department's attorney said "Uh-oh, Spaghetti-O's" 27 • Reply • Share ›
Avatar Nancy Joe French • a day ago Where was the dog sniffer when you need him. How bizarre. 8 • Reply • Share ›
Avatar Mike Rossi • a day ago Didn't they pass the Medicinal Canned Crap Act. You have to have a card from your pediatrician. 2 • Reply • Share ›
Avatar Nick • a day ago Well sheehit, that ain't cool! 2 • Reply • Share ›

− Avatar Mike Rossi • a day ago Possession of SpaghettiO's is a non violent crime.

link

So it has been said in one report that there was a field test and that it threw a false positive. I would personally like to make a public apology to the officer and can now see why she was initially arrested. I don't know if the officers statement is a lie not but he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

“I tested the spoon with a field test kit, and the crystal-like substance on the spoon showed a positive indication for methamphetamine,” the report reads.

edit on 26-9-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well, obviously you should lick the spoon clean when done.

And don't the cops always taste test the substance like on TV?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I am pulling the BS flag on this story.

I would need to see more proof from other sources.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

How did you happen to type in that headline? It's false and inflammatory. What purpose did you have? Not a good way to earn a reputation.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

How did you happen to type in that headline? It's false and inflammatory. What purpose did you have? Not a good way to earn a reputation.

What are you talking about? She was put in jail for a month for having a spoon with spagetti-O sauce on it.

Im somewhat confused by your post

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
I am pulling the BS flag on this story.

I would need to see more proof from other sources.

here

like this?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Dear theyknowwhoyouare,

I am sorry for the confusion, sometimes I don't write as well as I should. This time I made the mistake of thinking it was obvious, when it wasn't.

She was not arrested for having a spoon, she was arrested for the residue on the spoon. The spoon itself would not cause an arrest (and didn't).

And no, she wasn't arrested for having a spoon with Spaghetti-O sauce on it. She was arrested (if the story is true) for a "suspicious residue" that turned out after lab work to be sauce.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

Dear theyknowwhoyouare,

I am sorry for the confusion, sometimes I don't write as well as I should. This time I made the mistake of thinking it was obvious, when it wasn't.

She was not arrested for having a spoon, she was arrested for the residue on the spoon. The spoon itself would not cause an arrest (and didn't).

And no, she wasn't arrested for having a spoon with Spaghetti-O sauce on it. She was arrested (if the story is true) for a "suspicious residue" that turned out after lab work to be sauce.

With respect,
Charles1952

So what you are saying is that she had a spoon (used as paraphernalia) with sauce residue (unknown substance) and was arrested.

If the sauce were on the floor would she have been arrested? if it were on a plate would she have been arrested?

The point I was making is the fact that you can be arrested for having a dirty spoon in your car. Simple as that.

One should not have to worry about having dirty utensils in ones vehicle. Innocent until proven otherwise. Just because a small faction of our society uses spoons for their habit doesn't mean we should just sit and take this type of treatment bc an officer cant tell the difference between drugs and sauce.

4th amendment

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Idiots have taken over the ship. Cops no longer can tell the difference between Meth residue on a car floor and crusty ass Spaghetti sauce from a can of Chef Boyardee.

Fck America. Yeah I said it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

i am not sure what is worse that they jailed her or that it took a month to get results that it was spaghetti sauce...and your right some of those comments were very funny

it could have been worse at least they didnt try and paint her as a violent criminal for having the spoon she could have stabbed someone with it....(where is the rolls eyes emoticon when needed)
edit on 26-9-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
"You're innocent until proven guilty." HA!

Where have you been? It's the agenda. "You're guilty until proven innocent." Don't take action, just accept it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
She should never have been arrested in the first place, much less spend a month in jail. The cops say they were acting in good faith, but to whom? The law? But there was no proof any law was broken. Why then was she put in jail in the first place, when there was just a "suspicious residue?" That does not constitute anything illegal, until they PROVE it does. The cops' "good faith" is stupidity, as they should never have been allowed to arrest her or hold her without her committing a crime. How convenient for them that can simply arrest and keep someone for a month because there might be a chance you committed a crime. In what way is this even Constitutional? I hope she does sue the crap out of them because this is utterly ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

That source is better and I also found some others.

The officers should of used a field test kit to test the substance. If an arrest was made without a positive field test they violated the woman's 4th ammendment rights.

I am not familiar with Georgia law but I am sure an arrest for paraphernalia cannot be made without a positive field test.

If the case occurred as written she has a valid lawsuit and the officer involved should have at minimum his certification taken.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

you seem to be daft.

She...
was...
arrested...
For...
Having...
A...
Spoon...
With...
Spaghetti-o Sauce..
on...
it...

You made yourself clear, but I think you are missing the point. She got arrested because she ate spaghetti in her car. Plain and simple. Your view from suspicions is invalid. suspicions are not good enough for an arrest.

And just so everyone knows, you can test it on the scene pretty quick if it's meth or coke or heroine.
You shouldn't be arrested for drugs unless there are drugs present. You have to possess them.
Did they find needles and lighters, and what did the underside of the spoon look like? Was it covered in carbon?

there is no cause for arrest. I know too many people who have spoons in their cars and no one who uses them to heat drugs. Cops are jaded, and so are you. Where I am from you have to break a law to be arrested.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
www.gainesvilletimes.com...

Allegedly the officer did field test the spoon and the results indicated that the residue was in fact meth.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Maybe somebody viewed this woman as competition.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It was actually in Georgia..but still the stupidest thing I've read all day..

www.policestateusa.com...

GAINESVILLE, GA — An innocent woman had several months of her life destroyed when she was arrested and charged with a felony because of a spaghetti-encrusted spoon found in her possession. Ashley Gabrielle Huff, 23, had no criminal history and insisted that “there’s no way in hell” that there could have been any drugs in her possession during a traffic stop in July. Nonetheless, a Gainesville police officer honed in on a spoon that was “on her or near her” in the vehicle in which she was riding as a passenger. Suspecting that the spoon had drug residue on it, the officer arrested Ms. Huff and charged her with possession of methamphetamines. Even for trace amounts, the charge of possessing “Schedule II substances” Georgia is punishable by 2-15 years in prison. After her July 2nd arrest, she spend an unconfirmed number of days in jail before she was released and required to attend a number of obligatory drug appointments. When she was unable to make all the appointments, she was rearrested and made to sit in jail from August 2nd until September 18th. Ms. Huff insisted that she wasn’t a drug user, but had little means with which to defend herself. She relied on a public defender to represent her in court. Finally in late September, a crime lab analysis revealed that the “residue” on the spoon was not an illegal drug. It was actually tomato sauce from a can of SpaghettiOs, as the woman had claimed all along. “I think what the unfortunate part about her case is that she was probably willing to take the felony to close out her case so that she get out of jail, even though she always maintained innocence,” public defender Chris van Rossem told the Gainesville Times. Once the crime lab failed to indicate any drug evidence, the county prosecutor dropped the charge against Ms. Huff. She spent at least 47 days in the Hall County Jail.

edit on 26-9-2014 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
What may have happened is the spoon field tested positive for meth which provided the probable cause needed for the officer to make a custodial arrest.

She knew she was caught and knew it was meth and that is why she was going to plea out.

The spoon was tested again by a lab tech to be able to say in court it was tested and verified a second time to prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt it was meth.

There was not enough residue left to test positive in the lab therefore it couldn't be absolutely verified by a second source as being meth.

Charges dropped.

This may not be a case of a stupid cop.

I wonder if she has a prior history of meth use.
edit on 26-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I wonder if she has a prior history of meth use.

surely in your line of work a quick check on the computer at work would give you the answer

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I don't work in Gainesville Georgia so I only have the same access to her records as any other citizen.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join