It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CHP Beating Victim To Get $1.5M; Officer Resigns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is about 3 days old but thought I'd post it here. Marlene Pinnock, the homeless lady who was tackled and repeatedly punched by a police officer has now settled for $1.5 million. The police officer had resigned (fired?) from his position, for those of you unfamiliar with the case, story below:

Marlene Pinnock, the homeless woman seen captured on video being beaten in July by a CHP officer, will get $1.5 million to settle her case.
The officer identified in federal court papers as Daniel L. Andrew will resign as part of her settlement.

The 51-year-old Pinnock said she was walking along and minding her own business when the officer, who said he was trying to restrain her to keep her from walking into traffic, tackled her and punched her repeatedly in the face.

losangeles.cbslocal.com...

Fortunately one of the onlookers had recorded the entire incident, had there not been video footage my guess is this case would've gone a whole lot different. A little warning, the video is disturbing, it may be too much for some:

I'm speechless, I watched the video and I cannot understand for the life of me why, just why. What on earth are wrong with some of these cops these days? Unbelievable...
edit on 26-9-2014 by Southern Guardian because: Youtube video link

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Poor woman.

Police scare the # out of me. I am looking for information but was he prosecuted at all?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

It was excruciating to watch. I hope he is not re-hired. I hope she will heal and be able to make some positive changes in her life. And I too would like to know if he was charged.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

What I don't understand is why he isn't being charged with attempted murder? At the very least assault. There really is no point in the law at all for us regular peons. Abuse, abuse, abuse.

This woman was "lucky" because there happened to be a camera rolling.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

The officer has not been charged to this day. That said I've found this:

Activists and lawyers for Pinnock welcomed the settlement but said they would push for a prosecution. “We want him in prison,” Caree Harper, who helped secure the deal after nine hours of negotiations with the California highway patrol, told reporters. “I’m not done.”

Source

So it appears the lawyer who helped negotiate this settlement will push for prosecution. Whether it will eventually happen though is anyone's guess.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

She looks like a tough broad. I'll wish her luck.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Why is there no huge outcry when a man gets randomly beat down by a cop? What about sexual equality?

They should also do a blood screen, if marijuana is present they are off the hook bc drugs...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If the officer is fired he will most likely have a hard time getting rehired somewhere else but if he resigns, he will most likely be behind the badge and back on the streets in no time.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

What I don't understand is why in almost every topic there is someone who brings up gays, feminists, gender or something or the other that has nothing to do with anything.

There are plenty of topics on ATS involving men getting the # beaten out of them by cops. Which leads me to wonder, exactly what the purpose of your comment is and why I see this general trend on this website from users on a regular basis?

Either comment about this poor woman who was assaulted, or don't. But stop steering the conversation toward areas that are irrelevant to the conversation.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I'll take the exact same beating for 1.5 mill !

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i will let a cop kick my butt for a cool 1.5 mil!

but for real. how stupid is that. 1.5 mil? insurance companies don't even pay that when someone dies in a car crash.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

So it appears the lawyer who helped negotiate this settlement will push for prosecution. Whether it will eventually happen though is anyone's guess.

Why should anyone have to "push" for prosecution on this? If the woman had been pounding on the officer like that do you think anyone would have to "push" the District Attorney to take action?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It would be so much more effective if the money came out of the cop's personal estate. Or if it came out of their general budget, or retirement.

If the taxpayers have to pay for the cop's malfeasance, and he never gets the "bite" on his own personal ass, no feedback has occurred.

On the other hand, if his buddies lose their bonuses this year, and they're told why and who, things will take care of themselves a lot faster.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SkipperJohn

They do if it goes to court instead of outside settlement. It also depends on the situation surrounding the accident. If you can afford an attorney and have such a clear cut case such as this(clear, crisp video) you can get a pretty big settlement.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
If the woman had been pounding on the officer like that do you think anyone would have to "push" the District Attorney to take action?

You have to apply as much fear to the DA as the police unions do. He both fears and is paid under the table by them.

If he becomes assured he'll lose his job because he DOESN'T prosecute, he might do his job. Until then, you can spit in one hand and wish in the other for prosecution.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SkipperJohn

In fact the only excuse I can think of at all for the cops
behavior? She might be splitting the settlement with the cop.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Wouldn't that be some #?

Sounds like a plot to a movie I would like Guy Ritchie to make.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I believe the cop was required to resign as part of the woman's
settlement against the CHP, or rather she probably stipulated that
he was to be fired, or off the force, and he resigned instead of
being fired.

One very interesting post above posits a scenario where the officer
splits the settlement with the victim....just wow...I think I have
fodder for a story and screen-play now. It's been done before but
it's stil interesting

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Just like the "wise guys" who know the rules are for suckers. How can anyone bring themselves to obey the laws when they are applied only when it suits those who have the power over the rest of us?

Civil disobedience should apply to every law they break and bend to protect their "club members" and to all the laws they unjustly use against truly innocent citizens. They are going to be right no matter what happens, so let's give them a real reason by becoming an "out law" and living out side the "protection" of the laws they use against us.

They're going to bend you over no matter what, might as well be a criminal because playing the game straight doesn't afford you any protection under the law and doesn't get you ahead in today's world. Let's face it, were are all suspected criminals anyway, guilty or innocent, so why not actually be one?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
It would be so much more effective if the money came out of the cop's personal estate. Or if it came out of their general budget, or retirement.

If the taxpayers have to pay for the cop's malfeasance, and he never gets the "bite" on his own personal ass, no feedback has occurred.

On the other hand, if his buddies lose their bonuses this year, and they're told why and who, things will take care of themselves a lot faster.

this is a good point....one cop in the station screws up the rest of the department have to pay up as well...this would change the game...cops would make sure their colleagues are doing the right thing so it does not hit them where it hurts...in the hip pocket

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join