It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia warns Europe of gas cuts over Ukraine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: VitaArcanum
a reply to: Xcathdra

China,Japan and the rest of the Euro Asian Union. Clearly no one is up to date with what really is happening on the political map.

I always find this mentality hilarious. You don't just look at a country and state they will buy my goods and assume it correct. China is currently on a plan to make themselves self sufficient when it comes to energy sources. Their agreement with Russia is short term.

India just announced they are looking into building nuclear / thorium reactors (India has a boatload of thorium although they need to refine the tech for it to work). Over 300 million people in India do not have access to energy.

Europe is not going to hook their wagon into an energy source that will be cut off if they don't do what Putin wants.

Your assumption that other countries will buy resource's from Russia is not fact. China alone could NOT absorb the loss of the EU market for Russian gas. Secondly selling to other countries who are not EU runs into the issue of pricing. Can those countries afford the energy prices Russia charges its current European customers?

just like Iran and several other ME nations, oil must remain at or above a certain level for it to be profitable.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Actually China and Japan will buy the gas as it is cheaper then the gas US is willing to sell and since China is a coal based industry they welcome the change as well. It also explains why they building a new pipe through Siberia to China,Japan and India.

Don't worry the age of oil is coming close to an end, once the new gold currency hits the market it will all become clear

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

I assumed you knew more than what you do. My bad.

You do understand energy generation encompasses areas beyond oil / gas right? Coal and nuclear can be expanded. While you play your games you fail to understand the big picture.

Europe will move to alternative energy sources to lessen their reliance on Russia as a supply source. The more aggressive Russia gets, the faster that departure will be.

Gas is the most efficient source of energy unless massive strides are made in solar area. Coal has huge environmental effects right at the onset of use.

EU can potentially get gas from USA but pricing would be a deterrent and long term relationship cannot be maintained. Give it a small price fluctuation or supply demand variation and bottomline maths will no longer jive.

Depending on how fast Russians can build the pipeline or rather extend the existing pipelines in China, it might only be a matter of how soon EU will lose its "gas revenue threat" on the Russian economy. Push comes to shove, Russia will start supplying gas to China via trains, trucks and ships.......right away !!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

just like Iran and several other ME nations, oil must remain at or above a certain level for it to be profitable.

That is a major issue with US oil from shale fracking. Below $70 or 80 it is no longer profitable.

However, below $80 the Russian economy is not balanced. Profit level for Russian oil is probably $50 or so (not sure though).

Once Russia diversifies its economy from energy reliance, then the "balanced economy" price factor from oil will further come down.

$80 oil price for Russia means that "Oil at $80 will allow Russia to balance its budget without selling extra 1 cubic meter of gas or single ton of minerals or a single kilo or gold etc.".

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Finally someone who isn't a once sided Uncle Sam loyalist

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am actually interested to see what the US will do once the Euro Asian Union grows even more

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: VitaArcanum
I am actually interested to see what the US will do once the Euro Asian Union grows even more

The focus of such union should be more of an economic growth and cultural clean up i.e. factors like corruption, pollution, rights for women, animals, other classes etc.

Strong economies help grow strong armed strengths also.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think your a mite to late for that. The UK has already tied into Russian gas And as for hooking your wagon to an energy source that the supplier dictates the terms, your a little late with that as well. The majority of the world has been dictated to by OPEC for the past 40 years and we haven't got any other option. The UK in the eighty's had at that present time of usage(over 80% coal generated electricity) over 300 years of coal reserves. North sea oil was projected to last 20 to 25 years. North sea gas not much longer. Till Mrs Thatcher decimated the coal industry fetching coal from Poland and even Australia to keep generating without using British coal. Pits were closed and only a few remain now. If the money spent on trying to make nuclear generators safe and acceptable was used to find a way to clean coal fired generators the UK would be self sufficient in electricity generation for hundreds of years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join