It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Shapes...Why So Many?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There are as many UFO shapes as there are individuals who witness them. In fact, one intriguing thing about UFOs is that very often two people can look at the same UFO and see something different. And it's not just a difference in perspective. They actually see something physically different that doesn't match up with the other person's observation.

That would tend to suggest that there is a big psychological component to some UFOs (I would say real UFOs) that is very difficult to qualify. It's almost as if each observer brings their own construction of reality into the mix.

And this makes sense if you go back to Carl Sagan and his explorations of "Flatland.:

It suggests that real UFOs can contain a component of multi-dimensionality that we have a very difficult time both describing and understanding. Some UFOs are just "passing through" our reality, and we simply don't have the brain structure to perceive them for what they really are. So we tend to think of them as "flying saucers" or other kinds of flying machines, because that's what we perceive them as being closest to in our reality. It's one of the reasons why UFOs tend to just fly away, never to be seen again. It's not like they all fly to the Moon. More often than not, they just "disappear" when they get far enough away from us (in 3-D space). They return back to their full reality, which we can't comprehend.

It's too bad for us. The odds are very good that we'll never really understand real UFOs because we just don't perceive reality in such a way that would allow it. We're limited by our perceptions and intelligence. And we're not smart enough to make ourselves smarter enough to figure it out.

edit on 26-9-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I believe ALOT of sightings we see today are ours,but not all.What if it is a mix between ours and aliens?That may explain the differences.

This subject brought to mind the 1986 sighting in Alaska by the Japanese pilots that described a HUGE mothership.That could not have been ours.The way they described it,it could have held many different scout ships in it,plus crew,etc.

But,as others have posted,I don't think that all UFOs can be explained as hoaxes.They have been reported long before we had ANYTHING in the air,so there has to be some truth to it

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue ShiftWow,very cool answer Blue Shift.Star for you.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

" The odds are very good that we'll never really understand real UFOs because we just don't perceive reality in such a way that would allow it. We're limited by our perceptions and intelligence. And we're not smart enough to make ourselves smarter enough to figure it out. "

Until we advance further as a species, you may be right in that.

But perhaps that's why we are seeing more of them? It may be that we are advancing to the state where we can actually begin seeing more.

Good post.

Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
But perhaps that's why we are seeing more of them? It may be that we are advancing to the state where we can actually begin seeing more.

It would be nice, but I don't think so. Us advancing to the point where we could fully understand what UFOs really are would be like dogs advancing to the point where they can understand the rules of poker. It would require us not to be people anymore.

Perhaps our intelligent machine offspring - the next step in our evolution -- will have the ability to perceive and understand these things. They won't be limited by their physicality in the same way we are. But we won't be them. We're stuck being us. Dogs that can't comprehend the reality of poker.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: jude11

It would be nice, but I don't think so. Us advancing to the point where we could fully understand what UFOs really are would be like dogs advancing to the point where they can understand the rules of poker. It would require us not to be people anymore.

Perhaps our intelligent machine offspring - the next step in our evolution -- will have the ability to perceive and understand these things. They won't be limited by their physicality in the same way we are. But we won't be them. We're stuck being us. Dogs that can't comprehend the reality of poker.

But...Pics on ATS prove it happened!

And if this is true, then logically...

Peace

edit on 26-9-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Don't forget about the cigar shaped. That's the one I saw up close!!

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Depending on who you believe and listen to, there have been various Alien races visiting Earth. So lets assume that is true, if so, then it only makes sense that these Entities will have different types of ships where sizes and shapes are concerned.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

So you´re basically saying that cave-men advancing to the point where we could fully understand what happens in a DNA-strain, breaking the sound barrier and landing on the moon etc. etc. would require us not to be cave-men anymore?

Wow that never struck me, sir

Thanks

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Interesting question.

It has been documented, though of course those files are classified, that there are a multitude of races interacting with our planet in some form, and that explains the different shapes.

Here is the1954 handbook for dealing with alien races, some say this was a fake, but that has not been proven:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
What if they just send the Motherships and its contents through the worm holes. As the poster said about the different craft on an aircraft carrier; they wouldnt be restricted. Different small ships for different purposes. We have different coloured cars of the same model or utilty. When energy is "free" or cheap to travel interstellar distances why would choice of object shape be inefficient?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
There are around one hundred billion galaxies that we know of. Each galaxy contains hundreds of billions of stars and untold billions or trillions of planets.

If only a small fraction of those planets had space faring races that came to this planet they could very well account for the variety seen in UFO reports.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Frith

But IF there are such a mind boggling amount of 'space faring races' and alot of them come to visit us, I have to ask...
What are the chances that all of these different races can reach an agreement not to show themselves to us?

Consider how difficult it is for us to agree on anything here on earth, and we are all the same race..

That different races from different parts of the universe all can agree on hiding themselves from us and not communicating with us is improbable I think.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Blue Shift's posts are a highlight of the thread

The difference in reported shapes is hard to comment on, with any certainty, for many reasons. Not to forget that most reports will be false as well. Witnesses make mistakes, recall isn't accurate and neither are all people equal in their ability to describe.

It's like the police sketch artists who follow witness descriptions and draw faces of people who'd stop traffic. The witness agrees that the sketch is that of the perpetrator and yet how many even look like a real person?

This means we're looking for patterns to compare shapes that might not be 'shaped' as described.

Another interesting concept has been raised for the past couple of decades. It's the notion that UFO-objects somehow reflect concepts that are already present in the percipient's mind. We've got saucers on the covers of sci-fi comics going back to the 1930s. We've got 'spacemen' in books and in comics from the same period and throughout the heydays of UFO and humanoid reports. It's speculated that the suspected phenomena use these images to define the way they appear to people. It's a concept that's worth considering because it includes the role of human consciousness alongside allowing for the possibility of an overlying and unknown phenomenon.

A factor that supports this hypothesis is that we aren't just seeing reports of different-shaped objects. Different regions of the world have markedly contrasting reports. Some have weird critters and others have normal-looking human figures decked out in futuristic gear. This implies a strong cultural factor at play.

If we were only being visited by aliens or their technology, it seems reasonable to expect some uniformity in the described 'folk' and craft. However if we were being 'visited' by elements of our own subconscious, we'd expect to see a massive diversity of reported shapes.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: CorvusCorax
a reply to: Frith

But IF there are such a mind boggling amount of 'space faring races' and alot of them come to visit us, I have to ask...
What are the chances that all of these different races can reach an agreement not to show themselves to us?

I'm not privy to the machinations of extraterrestrials. We can only assume things about them.

All we know is what our governments tell us on the subject and conflicting information that comes along with it. I account for both and have come to the conclusion that our governments lie to us about this subject and that there is validity to it. You've followed your own path on this matter. We're not going to come to terms with each other.

So I go from that angle and assume our terrestrial governments act in collusion to hide this subject from us. They're not perfect. So we see things and get reports every now and then. The acts of suppression on this planet along with the ever-pervasive institutional skepticism put upon this subject does a good enough job to keep the truth hidden from us.

If I ever see an ET I'll ask them why things are the way they are. Although I don't expect I'll get an answer. Maybe I will find out the truth of why there are a bunch of UFO shapes reported, but I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Blue Shift's posts are a highlight of the thread

The difference in reported shapes is hard to comment on, with any certainty, for many reasons. Not to forget that most reports will be false as well. Witnesses make mistakes, recall isn't accurate and neither are all people equal in their ability to describe.

It's like the police sketch artists who follow witness descriptions and draw faces of people who'd stop traffic. The witness agrees that the sketch is that of the perpetrator and yet how many even look like a real person?

This means we're looking for patterns to compare shapes that might not be 'shaped' as described.

Another interesting concept has been raised for the past couple of decades. It's the notion that UFO-objects somehow reflect concepts that are already present in the percipient's mind. We've got saucers on the covers of sci-fi comics going back to the 1930s. We've got 'spacemen' in books and in comics from the same period and throughout the heydays of UFO and humanoid reports. It's speculated that the suspected phenomena use these images to define the way they appear to people. It's a concept that's worth considering because it includes the role of human consciousness alongside allowing for the possibility of an overlying and unknown phenomenon.

A factor that supports this hypothesis is that we aren't just seeing reports of different-shaped objects. Different regions of the world have markedly contrasting reports. Some have weird critters and others have normal-looking human figures decked out in futuristic gear. This implies a strong cultural factor at play.

If we were only being visited by aliens or their technology, it seems reasonable to expect some uniformity in the described 'folk' and craft. However if we were being 'visited' by elements of our own subconscious, we'd expect to see a massive diversity of reported shapes.

But then you are speaking of mass Delusion/Hypnosis/Suggestion or whatever we would label it.

I have always found this explanation to be more of a tactic used by those that need us to see or believe in something other than what we are truly witness to.

But who knows?

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
See the thing for me with this is... you have a diagram showing the shape of a number of well known UFOs... but at least a handfull of em are known to be hoaxes or very dubious.

Billys Beamships, Adamaskis scout vessels and mothership, Gulf Breeze ship and the tether incident UFO shape are all ones that can either be crossed off or said to be highly suspect that they cant be used in a 'guide' to UFO's.

If you whitled it down even more you'd find that it comes down to a variation of the old mexican hat/upside down plate shape, triangle, boomerang, diamond/egg/capsule and dome... so really there arent that many shapes at all when you think of it. But if you look at human aviation all our planes are similar but with a large amount of variance in the basic shape (such as a passenger plane like a 747 compared to a stealth fighter) with some being down right bizzare like concept planes and other one offs.

So why not UFO's? especially considering they have no need from all accounts of wings or any other aero dynamic features so really for a UFO the skys the limit in terms of shapes really... if anything id say because of this, why are they all so very similar? (once youve removed all the hoaxed ones)

edit:- Someones probably already said as such, just voicing my own opinion of it given this thread came up last year i think and never posted on it.

edit on 28-9-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Our own transport comes in many shapes and sizes too.

From a pair of roller skates to an oil tanker, the options and choices for shape are boundless.

Why should it be any different for another intelligent species?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

It's like us as humans we have many different models of aircraft. It could be more than one civilization visiting us, but at the same time one of those civilizations, maybe out of many or more, could be at the same time coming up with more technological advances like we do. There's multiple ways to think about it. It could different types of aircraft like probes, scout ships, ect. ect.

Interesting thread!

-Cosmic

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

But then you are speaking of mass Delusion/Hypnosis/Suggestion or whatever we would label it.

I have always found this explanation to be more of a tactic used by those that need us to see or believe in something other than what we are truly witness to.

Not quite. The hypothesis accepts that some cases are accurately reported by witnesses. It speculates that there is an unknown intelligence expressing itself through concepts readily understood by the percipients.

It considers the possibility that an intelligence is communicating in an abstract way that's similar to a lingua franca.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join