It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

down speed suffering

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
have a brand new computer and 1 hour old high speed internet. when the tech guys were here installing and finished, I checked the speed using speed test.net before they left. i was pulling in like 1-3 Mbps I pay for 40-50. I know that's not a steady speed but there is a HUGE difference between the two. they noticed the lack of speed and broke out their own laptop to test it and they were pulling in about 35mbps. I can deal with 35. anyway i kicked them out before giving them enough time to figure it out..had a headache and wanted my privacy. i did some searching online and all I could find was virus this male ware that... I think its more going to be a firewall setting or an internet setting on my computer. I tried plugging in the Ethernet cable with no changes. please help? if i have to I will call them back when im feeling better. but i would rather do it myself with help from you guys. another laptop in the house is doing the same thing. as far as I can tell nothing is running or DL or UL in the background.

specs
win 8.1
quad core
8gigs of ram

let me know if you need more information.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

I'm interested to see responses. Seems the more I learn about computers the less I know.

I did, in meantime find this for you:

www.yakindowebdesigns.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The tech guys may have logged on via a techs account so that might be why they got good speeds.

Check varius download sites because many sites limit the speeds for downloads. Speed test sites are notorious for feeding out bs speeds, its because they want you to CLICK that link that offers to speed up your connection!!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

thanks for the link, I'm checking it out now.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
Yeah these tech guys weren't pulling any funny business they were really confused. Now i did not however consider your second option, but they used there own site and I used mine and got matching results.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Who is the service provider and what type of service is it? (DSL, Cable, Fiber, Wireless Broadband..?)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Time warner cable wireless broadband.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

another laptop in the house is doing the same thing.

If two machines are both showing slow internet speeds I'd say it's the connection not the machine , I've found speedtest.net reliable so if it's saying your getting 1-3 Mbps you probably are.

Give it a couple of hours then test it again , if there's no improvement get on the phone and complain.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

Time warner cable wireless broadband.

i have broard band with another cable company and here's what they said. if you have more than two splitters connected , your speed will go down. at least, that's how they fixed mine, when i was having troubles. i was running too many splitters. they just eliminated a couple splitters.

hope that helps some.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The simplest way is to ensure its plugged into your machine via a physical cable and then download a linux live CD and burn it and reboot using the CD as the boot drive then download a large file (the larger the better) using it and time it then some simple maths and you'll be able to see the download speed and if its different than the normal speed you know its your normal windows install

also are you running any torrents as quite often unlimited uploads will absolutely cane your downloads

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy
thanks for the help, but i dont think im running any splitters and the tech guuys computer was running of the same internet as mine so it has got to be with my laptop..... i have done some more things like turning off my add blocker and yada yada yada still no diff.... whats funny is that for the first time i have seen the up speed far surpass the down..... i get like 5-6 up and maybe 2 down.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Your speeds sound typical for a 4G LTE wireless network.
Techs were getting 35 mbps so just divide by 8?
edit on 26-9-2014 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
When you say wireless broadband you mean that you have a satellite or other stinger on your home and you are getting your internet connection from a wireless AP on a comm tower somewhere? Or is it just wireless inside your house? I'm thinking it's cable internet, because I'm not aware of Time Warner offering a Wireless Broadband solution.

One thing to consider - (I worked as a technician for Comcast, Digis, and others) as a tech you often times run a speed test on your OWN laptop to demonstrate speeds to the customer. Why not theirs? Because my work-issued laptop's MAC address allowed me to get literally unlimited bandwidth. That is to say, you are throttled at the MAC address of your modem or router, and I was not.

I doubt your problem is local (not your equipment or some piece of malicious software..) Instead, you are experiencing the downsides of an overcongested network. =\

If the problem persists you need to call your ISP and make sure that your account reflects your actual subscriber package. If it does and you still have issues you need to complain until they give you the speeds they advertised.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

This isn't always true. You always want to have the exact correct amount of splitters to get the appropriate signal strength. Typically with cable internet you want between -15 dBmv and +15 dBmv.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: I1Am1Ready1Are1You
thanks for the help, but i dont think im running any splitters and the tech guuys computer was running of the same internet as mine so it has got to be with my laptop..... i have done some more things like turning off my add blocker and yada yada yada still no diff.... whats funny is that for the first time i have seen the up speed far surpass the down..... i get like 5-6 up and maybe 2 down.

I would guess either a congested network, or a problem with the physical network at your home (not your own LAN, but a damaged coaxial cable or more likely damaged F-Connector, etc.)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

When My Son wakes up, I will see if He will write down how to change something in your Registry. It will speed up Your internet connection. It worked for Him and Me, so it should help You too!

Syx.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I wish I could give You more than the one Star This Place allows.
This is a very good response to the Original Poster!
The fact that You were a Service Tech Guy, (Gal), is great!
Just wanted to let Ya know I liked Your Reply...... Syx.

edit on 26-9-2014 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

i was only going by what the cable guy told me. i'm not very tech savvy. but, thanks for giving me more info.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Only thing I could find that matched your problem was the use of a 802.11 version B router.
You said this is new service so they probably installed a version G or N.

There are Rwin tweaks that sometimes help if you are not running Vista but probably not if you are really only getting half performance.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Though everyone is talking about router, connections, and service providers... Do you have any software that automatically downloads or updates stuff/itself? Usually that can cause your internet speed to go down. But I think if that was the sace, the tech guys would also have had slow speeds.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join