It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting ATS links on Facebook - problem selecting image?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Another newbie question from me. (I'm not afraid to admit my ignorance
).

Recently when I've posted links on Facebook to threads on ATS, I don't seem to be able to have any image other than a huge ATS logo.

To be blunt, this rather deters me from posting links to threads on ATS since it looks like I'm spamming Facebook groups with ATS promotional links.

I'm (fairly) sure that when I used to post links on Facebook, an image from the relevant thread used to be displayed (or I could choose an image from that thread).

Looking at the ATS News page on Facebook, it looks like it is still possible to display a relevant image from a thread (rather than the ATS logo) when posting a link to an ATS thread on Facebook. So, I presume that I'm missing something very simple (or simply forgotten how to do it!).
www.facebook.com...

Can someone help?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So one of the perks of being a facebook page admin is the ability to upload a custom 484 x 252 image to better display links. From what I've seen, you cannot add custom thumbnails to link when you're posting from a personal profile.

Sometimes when I post linke. Facebook will find an image within the "[image]" tags and pulls that if it's the right dimensions. On a typical ATS post members don't include an image, so when the link gets pasted in facebook it pulls a Generic 484 x 252 we created for each forum topic.

edit on 26-9-2014 by ATSmediaPRO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATSmediaPRO
Sometimes when I post linke. Facebook will find an image within the "[image]" tags and pulls that if it's the right dimensions. On a typical ATS post members don't include an image, so when the link gets pasted in facebook it pulls a Generic 484 x 252 we created for each forum topic.

Thanks. That's a shame. I don't want people running Facebook groups thinking that I'm trying to advertise ATS when I post a link to a thread here.

(I know I can turn off the thumbnail but then people's eyes tend to just go passed the post. A relevant image really helps get attention on Facebook).

If there isn't a current solution, could this issue be raised with the Admins here??
edit on 26-9-2014 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

What I recommend doing is using the old method, before facebook updated their link sharing. Post the title, link and description in the body of the post and supply an image you thinks represents the material best. I was using this method for a long long time. Facebook finally wised up and realized how important images played in link sharing. Thats when they upped the size of the thumbnail by over 300%

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: theNLBS
What I recommend doing is using the old method, before facebook updated their link sharing. Post the title, link and description in the body of the post and supply an image you thinks represents the material best.

Thanks for the suggestion theNLBS but I don't think the old method works very well on the current Facebook system.

I tried the old method on Facebook today (i.e. posting a link in the body of my post and uploading an image) BUT when several people tried to share my post Facebook shared the IMAGE without the body of the post or the relevant link.

My attempt on Facebook is at the link below, so you can see what I mean if you wish:
www.facebook.com...

(Since that post was giving an explanation of a hoax, people trying to share that explanation ended up just sharing one of the hoaxed images - not exactly a desirable outcome
).

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I just tried it and was able to "X" out the huge ATS Logo.. Leaves no picture, but you can always add one later..

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
I just tried it and was able to "X" out the huge ATS Logo.. Leaves no picture, but you can always add one later..

Thanks but, as I mentioned in the post above yours, this gives rise to a few problems. When I "X" out all images, this tends to result in a lot less comment (presumably because eyes pass over the text post on Facebook). Adding the image later has resulted in other people accidentally just sharing the photo (as in the example I posted above) when attempting to "share" the post on Facebook.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi
My attempt on Facebook is at the link below, so you can see what I mean if you wish:
www.facebook.com...

(Since that post was giving an explanation of a hoax, people trying to share that explanation ended up just sharing one of the hoaxed images - not exactly a desirable outcome
).

I just tried it and what was shared was the image and the text, link included, as you can see here.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
I just tried it and what was shared was the image and the text, link included, as you can see here.

Thanks Armap but I think you are the first person that managed to select the right thing to share.
Quite a few other people have (presumably accidentally) shared one of the PHOTOS rather than status update (not with the link) - so I still think posting the link and photos separately isn't a good solution. THose attempts to share by other people can be seen here

Telling everyone that shared the PHOTO that they clicked on the wrong thing to share isn't really going to help when other people make te same mistake next time.

edit on 28-9-2014 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I understand it now, I did use the "share" button on the status update message, I didn't click on the image and then the "share" button.

I suppose that's why most people post images with text.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I've been checking out what happens when I post links on Facebook to another UFO discussion forum and it looks like I would be able to select the relevant image.

I've probably posted more links to ATS on Facebook UFO discussion pages than many people here. In fact, I rarely see other people posting links to ATS threads on UFO discussion pages on Facebook - possibly because, like me, they are deterred by big logo that is displayed and don't want to look like spammers.

So, if the display of the huge logo is a deliberate policy by ATS then I think it is probably counter-productive in that my subjective impression is that it results in fewer links to ATS being posted on Facebook.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Okay, I've found a work-around for this problem so that I can now post clickable image links on Facebook that link to threads on ATS .

I'm rather happy about this since it was becoming a bit of an issue for me since I like posting threads on ATS but then being able to share a link (with an attractive image rather than just a huge logo!) on Facebook.

Basically, I've created a "fan page" on Facebook which allows me to control which image is displayed (as ATSmediaPRO does on the official AboveTopSecret.com Facebook page) and then shared the image from that fan page to my personal page (and shared it onwards from there). To create a "fan page" so that I could create such clickable links, I used the "Create page" option on Facebook (at the link below), created a "Brand or product" page and selected (more or less at random) the "Website" option as the type of product and used that new "website" page to create the customised link (by simply posting the link and clicking on an option to upload a replacement image).
www.facebook.com...

Here is the test link I just posted to a thread on ATS:
www.facebook.com...

In short : problem solved.

edit on 23-10-2014 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join