It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretty Serious Swarm at Long Valley right now, Intensifying- 3.9, 3.8, 3.2

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

There saying another decent size quake in Alaska, do you think there related?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

More so when there are no sunspots the Volcanism increases. That is what we are seeing today, its that big Brown Dwarf Star that they don't tell you about that is making our magnetosphere to be all wacky. It is yanking all the planets around.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Why would California and Alaska be related? They are on the ring of fire but that is about it. The whole earth is waking up seismically and the volcanoes even more.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

Why would California and Alaska be related? They are on the ring of fire but that is about it. The whole earth is waking up seismically and the volcanoes even more.

I've noticed this & posted in the volcano thread. I just have never seen so many updates like ive seen the past 3 days. I'm talking about many updates at the same time. Enough that I was concerned & had to go over to the volcano thread to ask around....getting scary.......

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Isn't both areas on the same Pacific plate?

And I asked the question, that means I don't know. Right?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

That's what it usually means, right? I asked a few myself earlier on in the thread. We can't all know everything about everything.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

The San Andreas Fault splits California across the Pacific (to the west) and North American (to the east) plates. Mammoth is approximately 150 miles north-east of the closest section of the San Andreas.

edit on 9/27/2014 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

I don't want to sound like I am wearing my tin hat, but I read an article, a little while back, claiming that our water was being pilfered, under the auspices of our government.

I am out of my area of expertise when we start talking about geological particulars and I haven't had time to check out the validity of our waters being sold and hoarded, but I too think it is very likely that thr earth would respond to large volumes of underground water stores, shifting or being evacuted.

I think we are woefully ignorant of the precious tiny capsule we call Earth and our home. We are no more than a snow globe. Our beautiful blue marble may seem majestic and gigantic in our eyes, yet may be a microscopic grain of sand in the eyes of an entity far beyond our imagination.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I just saw this article from the CS Monitor updating info about the swarm.
Article

David Shelly, a seismologist and geophysicist with the USGS told the Mammoth Times that the quakes appear to come from the release of some carbon dioxide gas and water deep in the earth into existing cracks or faults in the ground under the Eastern Sierra.

“This fluid moves episodically into cracks or faults in the crust,” he said. “We think these quakes were triggered by this movement but driven by existing tectonics.”

From what I understand those gasses are from water and magma interacting, so we still could have magma moving into water or vice versa.
Hydrovolcansim

edit on 27-9-2014 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Thank you so much for this update, Observationalist.

This makes much better sense, than the CalVo stating that it is purely tectonic in origin. Yes, the seismographic signals showed obvious brittle fracturing, but if it was purely only a fault activating, it seems to my novice mind it would have been more of a 'mainshock followed by smaller aftershocks' episode.

edit on 9/27/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Yeah well all your water and CO2 just combined again to spout another incoming quake, looks like 2.8 to 3.0 region. This may not be done at all.

EDIT: 2.9, according to the autolocator.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on Sat Sep 27th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

And on a general note, activity is picking back up again, becoming more frequent. Watching it on live spectro.
edit on Sat Sep 27th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

From the link in my last post about hydrovolcanism

Hydrovolcanic eruptions are volcanic eruptions that are generated from the interaction of magma and/or lava with water. Magma rising through the Earth’s crust carries with it a great deal of heat, or thermal energy. If this hot magma comes in contact with water (or ice), either on the surface or in the subsurface, the water can be quickly converted to the gaseous state (steam) via the transfer of thermal energy

Maar volcanoes are simple circular depressions surrounded by gently sloping beds of highly fragmented pyroclastic material (Figures 3 and 4). Maars form when rising magma comes into contact with subsurface water (an aquifer for example) and subsequent phreatic explosions excavate a hole in the country rock. Maars are typically easy to distinguish from other hydrovolcanic features because they excavate the subsurface and leave craters in the ground.

In the paper it shows a picture of the Inyo Crater in reference to a Maar formation

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

You should have just shown a picture of Yellowstone's hydrothermal vents lol.

This that is happening now is NOT hydrothermal by itself or anything Tectonic at all. Tectonic does not act that way. You would clearly see a rift in the line of quakes, not a round pattern around a known Volcano vent! Lava has to move up for anything to be Hydrothermal all of a sudden and we would see that venting somewhere soon.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I remember an old thread/post on here ( about 8 months ago or more) where someone was hiking in California and found some lava leaking out of the ground. They posted pictures of it and wanted to know about them...and what to was ....anyone remember that? Was that the same place as mammoth lake?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Interesting timeline looking back

Long Valley Swarm -June 1979

In June 1979 small- to moderate-magnitude swarm activity began in a area southeast of Mammoth Lakes along the boundary of the Long Valley caldera. Seismic activity in the swarm area included only events of magnitude < 4.5 until the initial earthquake of the Mammoth Lakes sequence on May 25 (Chris Cramer, CDMG, personal communication, 1980). Source

Ontake uexpected eruption - October 1979

Ontake was thought to be inactive until October 1979 when it underwent a series of eruptions, ejecting 200,000 tons of ash in total.Source

Close to one year after the Long Valley swarm - May 1980

Mount St. Helens is most notorious for its catastrophic eruption on May 18, 1980, at 8:32 a.m. PDT,Source

Besides the recent events (LV Swarm and Ontake eruption)being a bit closer together in time the first two parts of the time line look similar.

I look for patterns and this is just one that I came across. What do you think, Am I reaching here, maybe I should just put down the IPad and go to bed.

edit on 28-9-2014 by Observationalist because: Need sleep

edit on 28-9-2014 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Now another small swarm appears to be brewing in an area closer to Mammoth Lakes. Started with that 2.9, and has had more smaller quakes. What's weird here is that most of the time we see activity in and around Mammoth Mountain, a known resurgent lava dome. But all this activity has taken place away from the mountain.

In a general sense though, activity has died down considerably. But since the large swarm started small, from two separate swarms which then combined into one large area, I am wondering if we are going to see a repeat at this new spot. I be a watchin.

Also, I can't help but think of those thirty+ people that just lost their lives at Mt. Ontake in Japan when it erupted. Apparently all that was happening there was heightened seismic unrest. That volcano is monitored by the JMA, but they did not see fit to raise the alert level.

Here at Long Valley we have the largest swarm in a decade, but nope, scientists won't raise that alert level either. They are SO SURE of themselves. You keep playing with fire, and it's the people of Mammoth Lakes that are going to burn. No skin off YOUR nose, huh?
edit on Sun Sep 28th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

The yellow advisory tells the public that the volcano's activity deviates from known background activity - is novel and unfamiliar. From what you have all said they are telling us it's known 'behavior' and will die down soon. You disagree and I am listening to those on this thread, but if it isn't concerning to them they could at least provide acurate details to back that statement up. Maybe they're right but it seems off due to what Rainier just did for a couple of days, Ontake (not a real active volcano), and the nature of this being in a new spot.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
awe man! another bigger quake just hit, looks like closer to Mammoth, and looks like at least 3.7, could be over 4.

Well it was over 4, a 4.4, but it wasn't at the caldera- I shoulda seen that from S&P differential, sorry...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I did see an immediate uptick in activity though at the caldera when that quake went through.
And actually it was closer to Mammoth, but because it was all the way on the other side of the state! *sigh* *slaps meself*
edit on Sun Sep 28th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: adomol
Great video! Explained it the way I needed it explained. Sounds like a nice guy aswell!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
here we go again, except this time bigger:

4.0, 3.2, 3.1, 2.0, just happenned back to back,

and now looks like another incoming... will update.

Edit, that was a 3.9.

So 4.0, 3.2, 3.1, 2.0, 3.9 and more still incoming.
edit on Sun Oct 12th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

This is happening a bit south of the last swarm, and these do look like more tectonic quakes on first glance.

Also note that these are autolocated quakes, the magnitudes, depths and locations could change after review. But so far they are shallow at about 7 km deep.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join