It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretty Serious Swarm at Long Valley right now, Intensifying- 3.9, 3.8, 3.2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This swarm started out small, but the average mags are increasing. There's been a 3.9, 3.2, and they are coming in faster than the autolocator can post them.

Bears watching, as one never knows if it could be the start of something bigger.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Check the USGS map and set to 1 day all mags

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Over the last two days, it has stretched out to a 5 km wide area, right in the south central part of the caldera. And the GPS stations are ALL showing uplift, some pretty sharp. Even outside the caldera we are getting uplift, making a 100 mile square area of land being uplifted by super volcanism. THAT is pretty massive.

I thought this was going to stay small, with mags under 3. But with that 3.9, it changes the view considerably, as that is most likely magma on the move and not just hydrothermal activity.
edit on Thu Sep 25th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Are you referring to the ones labelled Mammoth Lakes?

That's quite a swarm, S + F!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

They may be labeled as Mammoth, but they are not happening near Mammoth. They are happening in the south central caldera. Amid all that uplift. I thought this would have let up by now, but it just keeps getting stronger.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
That's a wee bit scary. I admittedly know nothing when it comes to understanding the swarms and other signs, but the caldera part is very eerie at any rate. Fingers crossed for everyone in the area. Maybe one of our California members will drop by and offer some information.

Thanks for the share. It's only a matter of time before something big pops off. It's been way too long.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Thankyou for confirming that OP!

The activity at the caldera concerns me.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
oh man, another big one incoming, looks like at least 3.8, could be over 4

edit: that was a 3.8

Man never seen LV go off quite like this. That's gotta be magma- too strong for hydrothermal.
edit on Thu Sep 25th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Jeez. This is getting scary, to see this on live spectro, one after the other after the other coming in, back to back. Most are small, sub 3 mag. But it is during times like these we gotta beware that tremor don't start.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Jeez. This is getting scary, to see this on live spectro, one after the other after the other coming in, back to back. Most are small, sub 3 mag. But it is during times like these we gotta beware that tremor don't start.

Pardon my ignorant questions, but looking at this map and what's going on... I am curious.

Can you feel those? I mean, can the folks near that feel it or are these too light??

I live in Virginia and have only felt one EQ in 37 years, so I don't know a lot about it. I think I would be terrified if I could feel those keep coming one after another.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

people living in Mammoth Lakes may have felt the 3.9 and 3.8, but probably not much more than that.

Now if this starts getting into the 4+ range.... *gulp*

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The ground sure is moving! Ive always thought this volcano was extinct... hmmmmm wish I
knew what was going on over there.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Thanks for that explanation.

Hopefully it will die down and we can avoid catastrophe one more time.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Here is a link that lists all the EQs in the swarm so far, Crazy!
Link

*UPDATED* 9:25 PM PST: Dozens and dozens of earthquakes, all registering a magnitude of 3.9 or less, are currently striking Mammoth Lakes Ca. The shaking started at around 3:30 am pst, and have continued throughout this evening. Frequency and intensity seem to be increasing.. Read more: thecount.com...

I'm in Northern Cal, still keeping an eye on this too.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Observationalist because: Added text from limk

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The one 80 miles northwest of Anchorage, Alaska today at 9:51am, it was a 6.1 an lasted about 30-40 seconds long. I always enjoy experiencing EQs,

Don't know if that big of a deal, but on the same pacific tectonic plate. Just wanted to add that.

S&F

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Forgive my ignorance, and I AM speaking from a position of ignorance...

Aren't quakes in the 3.0-3.5ish region barely perceptible?..the kind of quakes most people don't notice and/or sleep right through?

I just always wonder why people look at these little quakes as anything other than the Earth just doin' its thang. In my region, we get little swarms of this magnitude every so often and it's no big deal.

I guess what I'm asking is..why is this a "pretty serious swarm?" Sorry, it's just something I've always wanted to ask people who look out for 'quake activity.

edit on 26-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I had an urge to stop the movie I was watching and check in so now I know why. I've sensed something has been off with the rhythms of the earth for about a week now. Like hairs standing up thing. Probably just another piece of a bigger more prolonged event (hopefully).

Rainier acting up a few days back.
Record breaking temps in my part of the Country (near Yellowstone) by 23 degrees F yesterday.
The unusual earthquake in NE California several months ago.
The swarms in Lakeview, Oregon that seem to come out of nowhere the past couple of years.

There is more but the weather thing had me wondering since I'm sure inner activity impacts temperatures outside. Thanks for always keeping us current on these matters.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well the good news is that I have communicated with someone important about this, and they assure me that many eyes are on it, and are well aware of what is going on, even at this late hour. Someone got paged on that 3.9 and 3.8, for sure. So if tremor were to start, or even threatening long period events, they will be on it. Of course all they could do is change the alert level and notify authorities- but knowing Long Valley, and its history of acting up without eruptions, it will be a cold day in hell before they EVER change that alert level. Tolerance is extremely high there for these kinds of swarms.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Crazy swarm indeed. Here's an interesting read: (from 1997)

Intensive monitoring has been ongoing near Mammoth Lakes since 1980, when four earthquakes of at least magnitude 6 struck in a two-day period. David P. Hill, chief of the monitoring efforts, said this week that one reassuring finding is that the cataclysmic eruptions of the past, such as the collapse of the 10-by-20-mile Long Valley caldera 760,000 years ago, are not a prospect now. That eruption was 2,000 times greater than the Mt. St. Helens eruption of 1980. Scientists now believe, Hill said, that an eruption near Mammoth Lakes is not likely to approach even Mt. St. Helens in size.

articles.latimes.com...
edit on 26-9-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Do you think the rainier quakes are related to this? ...or what does this mean otherwise?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

No, I don't think it's related at all to Rainier- especially when it was just a glacier causing the quakes. And even if it wasn't- They are too far from each other.

Anyways- MAN! just when I think this thing is going to die down- it cranks right back up again. More coming in now again, rapid fire like.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

And this is one those super volcanoes right? Do you still think it is magma moving?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join