It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fireballs" ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This week, I have seen three meteors, in the early hours of the morning (when it is still dark.) The first two were rather "typical" shooting stars high up, but this morning, it was so huge, so bright! I watched it travel from one side of the horizon to the other, leaving a bright tail. It was not that high up at all, and was absolutely dazzling! It was huge.

Then I got online and saw this article in my news feed, and saw it was probably what is being referred to here as a "Fireball".

fox2now.com...

Though meteors are a rather common occurrence, it strikes me as strange to see so many in such a short period of time- and the one this morning, I have never seen anything like in my life.

Is there some reason for so many right now? Are we going through a meteor shower ? I don't follow astronomy really, I am quite ignorant in this area, and would appreciate any input more knowledgeable people might have to offer!
I am just curious.... could there be reasons we see these more some times than others? Could they be just more visible sometimes, due to differing atmospheric states? Or something else?
edit on 25-9-2014 by Bluesma because: spelling

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think we're approaching the time of a certain meteor shower. That or moving into a part of space with more objects.

Either way, there has been a lot of activity recently. I don't know if it's due to the internet or a true physical increase in sightings. S + F
edit on 25-9-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Awesome, good for you. You will remember that fireball moment vividly for the rest of your life.

The one I saw 20 years ago was crackling and sparking off in all directions, I guess it was breaking up. It was pretty low too, like an airplane coming in to land and probably plopped into the Southern Ocean.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
There were four separate large ones spotted in over the US on Sept 23.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Of course they are talking about the used to be rare "fireball" category, not the small shooting star ones which are common.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Southern Taurids according to this link

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE
There were four separate large ones spotted in over the US on Sept 23.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Of course they are talking about the used to be rare "fireball" category, not the small shooting star ones which are common.

The link in the OP is on the same sightings.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Southern Taurids according to this link

Ah! Thank you! That probably 'splains it.....

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I saw one tonight around 10:45-55pm while walking my dog.. I looked around to see if it was specifically a "fireball" but "Bolide" came up more often because it exploded 3/4 of the way through the sky and lit up everything around me with a bright blue-white light.. It was magnificent and I'll never forget it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I share observation of unusual object in the night sky over Sweden September 30, 2014.
Object filmed on camera with a wide angle lens, so that you can see the whole sky.
The object seems to be either burned in the upper atmosphere or landed as do the spaceships on the similarity of the shuttle.

Only on this day anywhere in the world space launches and landings landers
not carried out.
Therefore, the object can be described as unidentified.

top topics

join