It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is OBSESSED with race! Why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

This country was founded by colonists that were seeking independence from the British.

No it wasn't.

The U.S. was founded by business men who could see the potential of colonizing the " New World"

You are getting mixed up with The Pilgrims who came to The New World many years after colonies where established.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Actually, it was a bit of both.

A number of English colonies were established under a system of Proprietary Governors, who were appointed under mercantile charters to English joint stock companies to found and run settlements, most notably the Virginia Company, which created the first successful English settlement at Jamestown and the second at St. George's, Bermuda. Source

The prospect of religious persecution by authorities of the crown and the Church of England prompted a significant number of colonization efforts. People fleeing persecution by King Charles I were responsible for settling most of New England, and the Province of Maryland was founded in part to be a haven for Roman Catholics. Source

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Actually, it was a bit of both.

A number of English colonies were established under a system of Proprietary Governors, who were appointed under mercantile charters to English joint stock companies to found and run settlements, most notably the Virginia Company, which created the first successful English settlement at Jamestown and the second at St. George's, Bermuda. Source

The prospect of religious persecution by authorities of the crown and the Church of England prompted a significant number of colonization efforts. People fleeing persecution by King Charles I were responsible for settling most of New England, and the Province of Maryland was founded in part to be a haven for Roman Catholics. Source

None of the colonies where " Independent " from Great Britain.

They where all " Crown " colonies. They where all governed by Governors appointed by The British Monarch. So those who went to the colonies for religious reasons still came under the authority of The British Crown

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I'm not disputing that they were colonies of England, though they were not all Crown Colonies by any means. Some of them — as stated in one of the extracts I quoted in my earlier post — were mercantile colonies, run by joint-stock companies. They had royal warrants or charters, but they were not colonies of the Crown.

The same was true of India until the Rebellion of 1857. It was a territory of the British East India Company, not of the Crown, until 1857, when the Crown took it over from the Company after the Indian Rebellion ('Mutiny' as the British called it). Neighbouring Ceylon had been a Crown Colony from 1796.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Are we?

You are.

Anyone looking at America from the outside can see it clearly. Despite your melting-pot ethos, you struggle with multiculturalism

You're confusing the US with the EU.

Yet England today, while it has racial problems like nearly ll modern societies do, is not a society obsessed by race issues.

I guess this proves how wrong someone 'looking at a country from the outside' can be, Because the impression many have is that it's the UK and EU with a huge multiculturalism problem not the US melting pot. Further more many Hispanic/Latin American countries don't seem to have issues simply because they are by and large populations that are mostly, with a few exceptions, of Hispanic/Latin descent.

edit on 26-9-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: marbles87

America is not obsessed with race.

Race, sexuality, political party alliance are all forms of control and tools used by those in power to keep the masses distracted.

In the day to day interactions, people deal with it without any issues and we all get along for the most part.

The Media controlled by corporations throws it in your face because it triggers emotional responses that make people think with emotions versus critical thoughts.

Corporations don't like focused , intelligent, organized consumsers they prefer we focus on distractions to keeps all seperated.

The MSM is not Americans.

edit on 53930America/ChicagoFri, 26 Sep 2014 07:53:33 -0500up3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

America doesn't like multiculturalism. If you want to live in America, you have to become an American. That's what 'melting pot' means, by the way. The only way you're allowed to be different in America is if you're rich, or crazy.

Europe is, and has always been, multicultural, due to its contiguity with other landmasses with their different populations, and because Western European countries once had global empires.

Being multicultural doesn't mean eliminating racism or cultural confrontations. It means that the overarching culture tolerates the existence of pockets of alien culture within it.

In the West, the jury is out on which of these is a better way of assimilating immigrants or avoiding damaging cultural confrontations. Some of us, however, have seen and decided. I live in a multi-ethnic country that has been all but destroyed by an attempt by deluded policymakers to try to force everybody to be the same in certain critical ways. I plump for multiculturalism. Furthermore, I believe all lovers of liberty are obliged to do so.

Some parts of America, particularly New York City, are mulitcultural, but that isn't true of the rest of the country.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

America doesn't like multiculturalism. If you want to live in America, you have to become an American. That's what 'melting pot' means

Oh really?

I know quite a few "Legal Residence" that bust their rears, work hard, play hard, pay their taxes and get along with just about everyone I know *outside of the occasional bigot.

by the way. The only way you're allowed to be different in America is if you're rich, or crazy.

You know this how?

First hand experience?

Europe is, and has always been, multicultural, due to its contiguity with other landmasses with their different populations, and because Western European countries once had global empires.

News flash

A large percentage of Americans are of European descent as well as Asian, African, Middle Eastern and every other possible combination of race, religion, creed and ethnic background.

Your point is?

Some parts of America, particularly New York City, are mulitcultural, but that isn't true of the rest of the country.

I'm assuming you're basing this observation on personal first hand experience?

I've lived on both East and Left coasts and have seen problems in many cities I've lived in. However what I haven't seen are the supposed huge issues many Non-Americans claim there are.

I agree no country is perfect that includes the US but there is no need for exaggerating an issue based on what one views in the Media/TV/Movies or hearsay nor simply by looking at a country from the outside as you've already stated.

Walk a mile in someones shoes etc.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Oh, really?

>sigh<

Yes, really.

I know quite a few "Legal Residence" that bust their rears, work hard, play hard, pay their taxes and get along with just about everyone I know *outside of the occasional bigot.

You can be from Mars and get along fine in America so long as you don't allow yourself to be too Martian in public. Melting pot, you see? You blend in, talk the same (accents are okay), try not to be conspicusously different. Try walking down the main street in Smalltown, USA, in a dishdasha; you'll soon catch my drift.

You know this how?

I have plenty of friends who live in America. Some have been there nearly all their lives. I am in contact with them and often see them when they travel, though I've never visited them in America. They are of different nationalities, so it isn't a question of a particular kind of national or regional bias. I think my information is good.

I've travelled a bit, too, and lived in several different countries, so I think I have a good basis for comparison, too.

Besides, I read. Books. You'd be surprised what you can learn from books. Especially fiction.

News flash

A large percentage of Americans are of European descent as well as Asian, African, Middle Eastern and every other possible combination of race, religion, creed and ethnic background.

Your point is?

A question you should be asking yourself. What does someone's ethnic descent have to do with what we are discussing? Yes, Americans are from all over. But they're all American. See? The melting pot again.

Perhaps another aspect of this American obsession with race is this obsession with origins. I notice Americans like to talk about their lineage — 'I'm Scotch-Irish on my mother's side.' 'My people are from Palermo.' 'Me, I'm five-sixteenths Cherokee Indian.' You know all those geneaology sites on the internet? You know who mostly patronizes them? Americans. Take a look at their forum pages if you don't believe me. It's usually some American (occasionally a Canadian) looking up their ancestors.

I agree no country is perfect that includes the US but there is no need for exaggerating an issue based on what one views in the Media/TV/Movies or hearsay nor simply by looking at a country from the outside as you've already stated.

I suppose it's not very nice to hear how you are judged by others, but this is an international forum and anyone can play. Rather than getting all huffy about it, pay attention and learn how the rest of the world sees you — not the portion of the world that is hostile to you, but the friendly part.

I have already said on this thread that I think it is only right and correct that America should be obsessed with race, because American society has sustained severe damage from its history of racial oppression and exploitation. The obsession is not a happy one, but there can be no healing until it has run its course. You can huff and puff all you want, but that is the plain truth whether you want to accept it or not.

edit on 26/9/14 by Astyanax because: of the healing.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: James1982

This country was founded by colonists that were seeking independence from the British.

No it wasn't.

The U.S. was founded by business men who could see the potential of colonizing the " New World"

You are getting mixed up with The Pilgrims who came to The New World many years after colonies where established.

"This country" didn't exist until the declaration if independence. Before that it was just colonies. So, at the time of this country's founding, it was colonists declaring independence from Britain.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Besides, I read. Books. You'd be surprised what you can learn from books. Especially fiction.

Yes, among them Stereotypes, misinformation and delusional opinions.

I have already said on this thread that I think it is only right and correct that America should be obsessed with race, because American society has sustained severe damage from its history of racial oppression and exploitation. The obsession is not a happy one, but there can be no healing until it has run its course. You can huff and puff all you want, but that is the plain truth whether you want to accept it or not.

I'm glad you've admitted that you haven't lived here and do appreciate giving us your opinion on a Country you've never visited.

I'm not the one Huffing and Puffing while trying to convince someone who lives here how it really is to live here.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I mean, for heaven's sake, are you seriously disputing this point with me? One of the great themes of American literature is the immigrant experience. From Upton Sinclair to Amy Tan, from The Godfather to Middlesex, there've been dozens of novels written about it; not to mention movies (Titanic), songs ('Across the Borderline'), plays and just about every other form of artistic narrative there is. And what's the common theme of all these stories, whether they're about Serbian meat-packers, Chinese housewives, Sicilian gangsters or Armenian Greek hermaphrodites? They're about becoming American. Forget it, Slayer. You've backed a loser with this one.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Try not to sound so bitter.

I'm simply expressing my opinion about your opinion.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
And besides, what's with this childish you-don't-know-what-it's-like-till-you've-tasted-it nonsense? That's a drugpusher's argument, and it doesn't apply here. An obsession is seen through its expressions, its manifestations. I don't have to live in America to judge that America is obsessed with race.

You seem to think 'obsessed with race' means 'racist'. They are not at all the same thing.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: marbles87

The US is a Fascist state led by authoritarians made up predominantly of male WASP's. Elections don't matter, SCOTUS doesn't matter, the US constitution doesn't matter. The POTUS is a vetted spokesman. When they go off script, they are removed like Kennedy and Nixon. Obama is absolutely on script and has strengthened the WASP's like no other. Well played.

The root cause of the social tension is not skin color, or even culture. It's authoritarian behavior by a certain segment of the population that actively and passively works to subordinate other segments for their own reward. Fux News is their main place of self worship.

Authoritarians (and wannabes) are people that want to control the actions of others. They claim entitlement to intercede in people's lives.

Skin color and culture are simply markers to sort people and memes. Authoritarians and automatons are a cancer to a free society.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Bitter? No, just irritated by your tone.

You aren't the first to disagree with me, but you've certainly been the most aggressive. I think it's the suit.
edit on 26/9/14 by Astyanax because: I mean the one in the avatar. Yes, that avatar. And that one. And that one. And that one...

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Most people of America are not

However the Media and our lovely government are, hence why they continue to perpetuate the topic

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I don't have to live in America to judge that America is obsessed with race.

You seem to think 'obsessed with race' means 'racist'. They are not at all the same thing.

No, I do not think 'obsessed with race' means 'racist' but thanks for implying that's what I meant.

We have a difference in opinion is all.

I'm commfy with that, are you?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

You can be from Mars and get along fine in America so long as you don't allow yourself to be too Martian in public.

I can safely assume that you have never been to Miami.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

See my edit above.

Is 'commfy' sort of comfier than 'comfy'?

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join