It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Common Misconceptions About Global Warming

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

What gets me is that it seems ridiculous that we even debate the whole global warming thing when we should be talking about all the vast crimes against nature that we let business get away with.

The debate seems to be a phenomenon of the US I think a lot of that stems from corporations funding the debate through organizations like the Heartland institute. And those places are doing a better job snowing the public with this as they did with saying cigarette smoke was harmless. They know all they have to do is keep enough people debating then they can stall cleaning up their benefactors act. They have the house science committee in their pocket as well.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

ok - to be fair to you - I actually started to watch the video.

1. Global warming doesn't mean its going to warm up everywhere, all the time - so we had to call it climate change.

Well actually - average global temperature is average global temperature. the word average accounts for the fact that, although its winter in the northern hemisphere, its summer in the southern hemisphere

Therefore the explanation of the first point is already wrong.

2. Climate change means storms will get more violent.

but this hasn't happened! Storms are getting less violent and less frequent.

www.forbes.com...

another IPC prediction that didn't come true.

Now I gave this video approximately 1 minute and so far, I see nothing but lies and misdirection. I can't be bothered with the rest of the video.

Now OP - tell us why you think this video will resolve all issues?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: kdyam

Uhhh, nothing you just said ever happened...

A quick google source will tell you otherwise.. with over 30 different sources. All you have to do is look.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
When 'they' can accurately predict the weather for the next day then maybe I will take 'them' more seriously. Until then I will keep my money and 'they' can keep their climate change.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: kdyam

Then it should be easy for you to post ANYTHING to back up your claims.

link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Quauhtli

What gets me is that it seems ridiculous that we even debate the whole global warming thing when we should be talking about all the vast crimes against nature that we let business get away with.

The debate seems to be a phenomenon of the US I think a lot of that stems from corporations funding the debate through organizations like the Heartland institute. And those places are doing a better job snowing the public with this as they did with saying cigarette smoke was harmless. They know all they have to do is keep enough people debating then they can stall cleaning up their benefactors act. They have the house science committee in their pocket as well.

Watch the movie "thirty seconds over Tokyo"
When the pilots were getting ready to take off from the aircraft carrier, one of them stopped at the px.
He asked for ten cartons of "coffin nails".
The movie was made in 1944..
Do ya think they knew smoking was bad for you? They just didn't care.
That's why global warming gets less attention than you feel it should. People don't care if the planet is two degrees warmer for their great great grand kids.

link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Weather and climate are not the same thing.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1970
Never heard of this youtube channel before but it has 1,872,351 subscribers - Wow!

He has some good points, but how is this problem being addressed? By increasing taxes on Joe Public for driving his car to work - meanwhile Mega Corporations continue to get huge Tax Breaks.

Seems as though you can spew as much Filth as you like into the atmosphere, oceans, lakes and rivers as long as you slip some ka - ching into the right pockets.

Only Joe Public suffers the Wrath of the Corporate Titans.

I think the tax issue is a distraction or a way to divide us to keep any meaningful measure from being done to address the problem. I am completely against carbon taxes but I know this is a real issue. There are solutions but it would mean shifting our energy technology to renewables and rebuilding the infrastructure. The Navy now has a process that can convert seawater into "liquid" fuel which we could run in our cars. We are not talking about simply splitting water to hydrogen and oxygen but adding captured carbon from the oceans to make it liquid. If that technology was coupled with hydro or geothermal there would be an inexhaustible supply of fuel and energy for the nation.

No one is really talking about it because too many are still bickering over if there is a need.
edit on 25-9-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

You are right, they sometimes get the weather right.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Great video. Star and a Flag my friend.

Not being a scientist myself, I have a hard time putting these concepts into posts or arguments or I can't explain them and I don't have the memory to quote anyone, and come off sounding like an idiot but this video nails it exactly. Makes solid points and is easy to understand.

I notice that none of the detractors above reference the video or any points at all, but just stuck their heads in the sand saying "It's all cyclical or it's the sun or the earth will change and we can't do anything about it or it's a scam etc." That is really funny to me.

It's like the young earth creationists who cling to Genesis and the genealogy therin to date the earth, ignorring all scientific evidence to the contrary.

We can't ignore science. We can't stick our heads in the sand. Watch this video. All the way through.

Thank you. I thought the video was pretty good at explaining things and you have pretty much nailed it as far as the detractors. These threads usually progress the same way with them ignoring anything the don't agree with then restating the same misconceptions like they were not already addressed or they go to the old fall back of carbon taxes in an effort to derail.

Like I said I am not for taxes in fact I can't remember anyone here argue for them but the way it is used by those opposed to AGW you would think that we all want them. IMO it is a distraction technique to stifle meaningful conversation.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Is it done science?

Is it like the formula for an area of a rectangle? Nothing left to dispute?

Are only "flat-earthers" and morons like myself the only skeptics left on the planet?

Just tell me, is all the data in? Is all the information in so we can concretely say, without any doubt that man is the cause of all of this?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

They are according to NOAA

They even state it in two different ways

What is the difference between weather and climate? Weather is the air temperature, cloud cover, precipitation, wind, moisture content, and air pressure at any particular time in any particular place. Weather reflects the prevailing conditions of the air masses overlying the land and seas over the entire globe. Climate is the overall picture of weather during periods of seasons or years.

And...

Climate is the weather in a location averaged over a long period of time.

If I save $1 every day for 365 days, the $365 total I have, or the $1 day average I have, is still dollars. It didn't magically change into something else.

The data used to build climate is based on observed weather from several different places to then get summed, sliced, aggregated, into a climate model.

Is the dollar different because I asked you for an average of my savings over time?

Is the dollar different because I asked you for the month that I accumulated the most dollars?

Just because I call the total sum, SAVINGS (aka climate), doesn't mean it isn't composed of DOLLARS (aka weather).

That argument has been used ad nauseam and if you really sit there and think about what I just wrote, along with the NOAA definition from their education page, perhaps it will make sense.

How can an honest discussion occur between anyone if the focus is always over syntax and semantics?

Why is it so hard to admit that we just don't know enough to come to a provable, testable hypothesis?

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Is it done science?

Are only "flat-earthers" and morons like myself the only skeptics left on the planet?

Just tell me, is all the data in? Is all the information in so we can concretely say, without any doubt that man is the cause of all of this?

No but all the evidence isn't in on evolution and other accepted theories as well.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

No. . but. . .

Okay.

So someone just let me know when all the data is in.

All I'm asking.

Until then, let's accept the fact that some of us will remain skeptics.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

ok - to be fair to you - I actually started to watch the video.

1. Global warming doesn't mean its going to warm up everywhere, all the time - so we had to call it climate change.

That was the question/misconception.

Well actually - average global temperature is average global temperature. the word average accounts for the fact that, although its winter in the northern hemisphere, its summer in the southern hemisphere

Therefore the explanation of the first point is already wrong.

You didn't post the answer only the question in the video. Are you trying to be dishonest?

2. Climate change means storms will get more violent.

That wasnt number 2 it was part of the answer to the first question which you must have glossed over.

Now I gave this video approximately 1 minute and so far, I see nothing but lies and misdirection. I can't be bothered with the rest of the video.

So you gave it one minute and completely misrepresented or misunderstood what were the questions and answers.

Now OP - tell us why you think this video will resolve all issues?

It will only resolve the issue of those misconceptions held by the public but not for those like yourself who cant be bothered to watch listen and actually look into it. It will only help those who are honestly interested in the debate and not making the same fallacious arguments.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Sorry I have a lot going on right now... with the earth "warming" and scientists "not" falsifying information to meet a government agenda.

I think you can figure out how to operate google, your smart! That way I don't have to post 30 different sources for one you might find "credible" to your own agenda.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Is it done science?

Beezer I am not trying to address the entire issue of global warming with this thread. As I said before these were 13 common misconceptions on the subject.

I am all for a healthy debate on the topic but the ebates are getting old and stale when the same thing has to be addressed because the answers were ignored. To me addressing the argument of its the sun is as dumb as addressing the argument that an AR-15 is an assault weapon. It has been covered the arguments are invalid. Neither debate moves forward because of stupid thing like those where people "should" know better by now.

I love to discuss the new data or what data is missing and where we need to collect more but that isn't happening as long as people stay stuck on things we should be past by now.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Is the oil industry knowingly and purposely attempting to melt the ice at the poles?

Currently with ice, it moves so its impossible to drill for oil at these locations because where you drill today will not be the same location tomorrow.

So if the ice all melted they would be able to drill like they do worldwide....

Just a crazy conspiracy theory.

How far would they go for power and profit?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Is it done science?

According to them, yes it is.

Now go crawl back under your rock you non-scientist polluting holocaust denier.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

It's why I posted my questions.

Call it whatever you want.

Blame the cause on whatever you wish.

Some believe it.

Some don't.

My biggest fear is that many are using it to further a political agenda and have no real interest or honesty when it comes to the science or the data.

There are misconceptions because there are so many non-experts muddying the water on the topic.

There are misconceptions because this is being debated with hysterics. Not data.

How in the hell can anyone have a reasonable debate with anyone who starts it with, "We're killing the planet, in 5 years we'll all be dead unless we raise taxes now!" and other hystronics?

I'll continue reading on the topic, I will continue to make up my own mind without either side manipulating me based on a political ideology.

Nothin' but love. . . .

regards,
beez

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join