It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Common Misconceptions About Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

There are a lot of misconceptions floating around when it comes to climate change and global warming. If this past winter was particularly harsh where you live, you might have that one friend asking, "If global warming is actually real, why was our winter so cold?" Or what about when people say, "Didn't arctic sea ice increase recently? How is that evidence for global warming?"

Veritasium addresses these issues and many more in a recent video.IFL

I ran across this today and as I watched it I was reminded that I had seen each and every one of the points being brought up in these forums repeatedly. So I thought it would be good to post this video because it addresses them fairly well.

The 13 misconceptions addressed in the video.

1. Global warming wasn't happening so had to call it "climate change".

2. The globe is not warming.

3. In the past, scientist warned of global cooling. (I had seen that post on ats twice yesterday)

4. The earth is cooling.

5. Arctic sea ice is increasing.

6. The sun is responsible for any warming.

7. Humans only emit a tiny fraction of the CO2 released into the atmosphere each year.

8. Volcanoes admit way more CO2 than humans.

9. Water is by far the most potent greenhouse gas.

10. All predictions have failed.

11. The Earth has warmed and cooled in the past.

12. CO2 lags behind the temperature rise.

13. Global warming is not bad.

I am sure many of you have seen those points being brought up on these boards I know I have many times and some of you may have been the ones to bring them up. I have also seen them all being addressed on these boards many times but often they are ignored to be used again. To me conversations get stale when that happens so I ask you all to please take note of this video and the information within so that when we do have these debates/conversations we are not all repeating old material.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The planet goes through natural cyclical changes. Only this time we have a power structure doctoring evidence to control the populace. S + F. It's a total sham.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

So you're going with number 11 right?

I guess you disagree with studies. OK.

Edit to add:

Your amazing

It only took you 4 minutes to read my OP and watch a 7 minute video before posting.
edit on 25-9-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

MEH. who cares , as long as the rich folk who are investing in the scam get richer. Right?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy

Well I tend to care. I am not rich either. Are you talking about how the rich oil companies keep scaming the public that there isn't a problem so they get richer. They have that covered.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: thishereguy

MEH. who cares , as long as the rich folk who are investing in the scam get richer. Right?

You mean the scam called "burn all fossil fuel you can, it doesn't do anything"... yup alll the rich oil companies promote that.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I believe in cyclical changes that affect the climate on the planet and we know for a fact they've happened before. What the gov calls "global warming" (an excuse to get people to stop living their normal lives while the rich continue to consume and contribute nothing) is nothing but normal changes. However, the gov doctors numbers to back up their fraudulent theories.

The changes happen, but this time we have a system profiting through fraudulent means.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: thishereguy

Well I tend to care. I am not rich either. Are you talking about how the rich oil companies keep scaming the public that there isn't a problem so they get richer. They have that covered.

the oil companies and/or the Goreacle people . doesn't matter, somebody always makes money/tax dollars off the working poor.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I believe in cyclical changes that affect the climate on the planet and we know for a fact they've happened before.

Well thanks for your input but this is what I was talking about when I said conversations get stale. You see that was addressed in the video already as one of the common misconceptions and if you ignored it or didn't even watch as the evidence suggests then explaining it to you here would be pointless.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Video talks about why it's not the natural cycle... 1st post: "It's natural cycles"
lol

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

originally posted by: thishereguy

You mean the scam called "burn all fossil fuel you can, it doesn't do anything"... yup alll the rich oil companies promote that.

yep , and also the same ones who jet around the globe crying the end is near and ya gotta pay carbon taxes or we'll all die .

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
All that seems common sense to me. It doesn't take a genius to imagine the harmful effects we have on the environment. Not when you consider the vast amounts of chemicals, minerals etc that we dredge up and paint the surface, water and atmosphere of our planet with.

What gets me is that it seems ridiculous that we even debate the whole global warming thing when we should be talking about all the vast crimes against nature that we let business get away with.

I mean get caught dumping used oil in the local creek and you'd probably land in jail, but put .inc behind your title and it's encouraged.

Businesses want to be considered people but in my opinion they should be tried in court like people.

I'm dreading having to answer all these questions to my 6 yr old daughter. WTH is wrong with people that they let businesses get away with these crimes, or even allow some luxuries to exist when they take such a horrible tole on the environment we live in.

Problem is we put the responsibility of regulation on a government that doesn't hold business and culture accountable for the stewardship of our planet.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Never heard of this youtube channel before but it has 1,872,351 subscribers - Wow!

He has some good points, but how is this problem being addressed? By increasing taxes on Joe Public for driving his car to work - meanwhile Mega Corporations continue to get huge Tax Breaks.

Seems as though you can spew as much Filth as you like into the atmosphere, oceans, lakes and rivers as long as you slip some ka - ching into the right pockets.

Only Joe Public suffers the Wrath of the Corporate Titans.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Great video. Star and a Flag my friend.

Not being a scientist myself, I have a hard time putting these concepts into posts or arguments or I can't explain them and I don't have the memory to quote anyone, and come off sounding like an idiot but this video nails it exactly. Makes solid points and is easy to understand.

I notice that none of the detractors above reference the video or any points at all, but just stuck their heads in the sand saying "It's all cyclical or it's the sun or the earth will change and we can't do anything about it or it's a scam etc." That is really funny to me.

It's like the young earth creationists who cling to Genesis and the genealogy therin to date the earth, ignorring all scientific evidence to the contrary.

We can't ignore science. We can't stick our heads in the sand. Watch this video. All the way through.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I believe in cyclical changes that affect the climate on the planet and we know for a fact they've happened before.

Well thanks for your input but this is what I was talking about when I said conversations get stale. You see that was addressed in the video already as one of the common misconceptions and if you ignored it or didn't even watch as the evidence suggests then explaining it to you here would be pointless.

It's the same blahh..blahh..blahh. type of u-tube video that most of us could care less about. The IPCC has admitted to doctoring number sometimes to the tune of 3-6x their actual rates. Then the actual data they were doctoring "disappears"? This is just more propaganda to try and boondoggle people into believing that carbon taxes are going to solve the problem. Whether taxes are spoken of or not... they will happen if the majority buys into this garbage. So far the majority isn't... the only people who are are the government (who will profit from this), interested corporations ( who will profit from this) and the shills who cant seem to put 2 and 2 together that seems to agree with doctored data from scientists funded by government grants. The same people who in the end will be tax raped along with everybody else. It's kind of like the people who voted for Obama the first time for hope and change.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I haven't seen you come off as an idiot on the topic.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Video talks about why it's not the natural cycle... 1st post: "It's natural cycles"
lol

Yup that in and of itself was pretty amazing I think. It is the very example of why I posted the thread but I see it will not matter these things are going to be regurgitated ad infinitum regardless of the evidence.

It was funny to see that as the first post though.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kdyam

Uhhh, nothing you just said ever happened...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well that cleared everything up.
End of story.
Can we stop talking about it now and wait 30 years to see who was right?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
14. There never was any IPCC data tampering.

edit on Sep-25-2014 by xuenchen because:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join