It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Americans... Avoid politics... Be Canadian.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Company lets U.S. travelers 'Go Canadian'

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- An American T-shirt company has a solution for their fellow citizens who want to vacation in Europe without having to answer questions about U.S. politics -- pose as Canadians.

For $24.95 you can purchase the "Go Canadian" package.

"full of just the kind of things an American traveler needs to leave their country and its politics behind."

The "Go Canadian" idea sprouted after one of Broadbent's colleagues heard of someone being harassed about U.S. politics during a recent overseas trip.

I think this is great!

Has anyone here on ATS been to Europe lately or anywhere else oversea? Would you be interested to share your experiences of how you were treated.

I was in Europe Last year for a month. I visited Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, and Albania. Also had a short stay in Austria. Overall my trip was good but definatly some people were a lot nicer than others. I would say the attitude was 99% positive and 1% negative.

Kind of stinks that some people are expected to answer for their governments policies when that person has little to no ability to make immediate policy change in their government.

How have you been treated traveling to a foreign country?

-Reason

[edit on 7-12-2004 by REASON]

[edit on 7-12-2004 by REASON]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
oops....

Just noticed that ATSNN has a post on the same subject.

Mods..... What do you think?

Should we leave this thread to continue a discusion on how people have been treated visiting other countries?

-Reason

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I can don the attire, however do I need to say "eh" after every sentence, or pronounce the word "about" as "aboot".
Actually it's not a bad little idea, someone will probablt make a lot of money from this.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hi Superdude,

"There's also a quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" -- on answering questions about Canada."

They got you covered!

-Reason

Nox

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I am a Canadian citizen as well as being an American citizen. I have actually lived in Canada longer than I've lived in America. I feel like I can give a relatively unbiased opinion.

Canada is a fine country due to its low population and low population density.

The United States of America, for its demographics, for its population, its population densities, its capitol, for its position in the world as one of the most hated and loved countries...

It's a great country for what it has to deal with.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Why would an American want to be Canadian? lol
what is this b/s.

How would an american feel after getting rejected citizenship in Canada, yet at the same time strippers in Romania get citizenship priority into Canada.

Therefore, the conclusion is that strippers have more priority than a US citizen.

Is there anything lower than a stripper... I'm also using the stripper term mildly, as most human traficking into Canada is used for prostitution purposes.

Why would anyone want to subject themselves to such humiliation?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm retire from Canadian Military.Iwas stationed in Germany from 72 to 1976 and have been back several times since.Evan back in 72 I found some Americans pretending they were Canadian to get better service.Found several different nationalities using the Canadian flag as sort of an international hitch hiking symbol,us Canadians seem to have some different uses.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hmm. I went to Athens, Greece in May of 2002. They pretty much treated us like crap. Not very friendly at all.

A few incidents I can remember
-Someone in my group having their bag kicked and being called "stupid"
-The hotel refusing to turn on the A/C resulting in our rooms being 100 degrees, then finally turning the air on the last day we were there
-The tourists from other countries seemingly getting better treatment than us.
-Rude waiters....though that may just be a european thing

-People being generally "cold" towards us. Odd because it's Greece, not Finland.

I'm making the assumption that this is because we were obviously American...could be wrong. Though several people did take the time to tell us how much they hated Bush but not America.

Oddly enough, the girls in our group had no problems.

Despite all these problems, I'd still like to go back. I'd probably have a much better time if I weren't stuck with a bunch of....well...Americans.

[edit on 12/7/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There is a thread running on this:
Firm offers American travelers the "Go Canadian" package

comments/questions can go in that one. closing...

top topics

join