It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need an alternative to Google Maps on Android

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have an Android phone with Google Maps installed. I like the app and I use it quite a bit. However, the spoken directions are really hard to hear, especially while driving in the car. I've checked online and a lot of people have the same complaint and there doesn't seem to be any way to get the darn thing to "speak up". In fact, some people have said that it's a hazard because if you're not sure what it's instructing you to do, you have to take your eyes off the road to look at your phone. In some states that could lead to an undesirable conversation with a LEO.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative to Google Maps that I'll be able to hear while I'm driving down the road. Free is best, of course.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Waze is a pretty good one, works well with avoiding traffic jams too sometimes if you are living in crowded areas.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Iprefer scout much faster at finding things in the area. Shows live traffic too
edit on 25-9-2014 by IBossJekler because: added

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

Thank you. And does it have voice navigation?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IBossJekler

Thank you. I haven't heard of that one but I will definitely give it a look.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

You have two options to get louder voice from Google Maps:

1. Get a Bluetooth headset in your ear so that the directions go directly into your ear.

or

2.) Get a Bluetooth FM transmitter for your car stereo (usually $10-$50) and you can play the directions right through your car's speakers and turn the sound up as loud as you want.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

That's what I do... connect the phone to the radio.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I use CoPilot, it keeps the whole maps on your device so you don't need a data connection for directions.

top topics

join