It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any type of mask to protect from an airborn virus?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: alexball

As I've seen Doctors and Nurses who were wearing such things still get the virus, I'm beginning to think it's not worth investing in one of those masks! I've decided to just wear a Surgical Mask with a dust mask on over that one.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It's a virus and virus's got on things......like masks.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
First off you can't just run down to most hardware stores and pick up a box of N95 masks. Most don't carry them. There's no reason really why they'd need to carry them when they have respirators etc for sale. The N95 was designed for healthcare workers ie easy to use, cost effective, etc. it's not something to be used if your going in to clean up absestos or painting an automobile with toxic substances. There are better choices and not necessarily because the N95 is inferior. And second there is a huge difference between a surgical mask and an N95!!!!!!! One does absolutely nothing against airborne diseases like TB and Flu , the other is exactly what it's designed for!!! And yes having a box of N95 or 100 masks laying around is a good idea.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
1 has to ask, dealing with this type of biological infection do the ears also require being covered to prevent exposure?

NAMASTE*******

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

As it's not a skin penetrating nerve agent, you don't really need MOPP 4 gear.

However, it does penetrate cuts, scrapes, breaks in skin, any mucous membrane, your eyes, nose, and lungs. So if you get it on your hand and then wipe your face or scratch your nose, bingo.

I think the only way your ears would be a target is if you dipped a q-tip into the victim's body goo and rubbed it in there. YMMV.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Bedlam, 1 considered potentially entering a room for example were many are coughing and sneezing and some small amounts of virus aerosols remain in the area and making contact with the ears. Thank you for the data

edit on 10/8/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

However,as you don't breathe with your ears and they're lined with a lot of hairs, unless someone sneezes into your ear at close range, it's not likely that a droplet borne infection will land in there.

You don't have to worry about that.

For that matter, I suppose if you bent over and spread 'em, a droplet might get to yer bunghole, but in practice, it won't happen.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
First off you can't just run down to most hardware stores and pick up a box of N95 masks. Most don't carry them.

Actually both large home improvement stores carry them, as do all pharmacies. Though with Ebola being .03 microns, they'll be hit or miss in their reliability. They'd be better than nothing, I'm sure. Also good to have goggles or a visor, nitrile gloves, tyvek gowns, duct tape, and tarps for body storage. (Before cremation.)

Michael Savage (or some other host, they run together) said today that the Dallas patient created 40 bags of medical waste each DAY. That's a lot of red hot garbage to deal with.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I just stole a bunch if surgical masks that dentists need to wear in order to prevent fluids being sprayed into their mouth and what not... I also got a bunch face visors to protect my eyes and face in general and a # load of nitrile gloves.

I guess the masks wouldn't protect against a pure airborne strain however against fluids from sneezing and coughing and such they would be useful.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Vaxellion

Yep. I've been following the News and it seems even with all the Protection these Docs & Nurses wear, the virus still infects them.

I'm just going with Surgical Masks, Dust Masks (wear both), Gloves & Goggles at this point in time. I have dustbin bags i can use if things get hectic but I'm in the UK and there are no Possibles here as yet..

I need to buy more bleach. May be safer to wash my hands in Bleach too although I do have Soaps and Sanitizer at the ready.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join