It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Any type of mask to protect from an airborn virus?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:58 PM
I posted this in a thread on the diseases forum but unable to get a defining answer, so thought I'd post in here see if anyone knows the answer.

I gotta question about this Ebola. If it were to go 'Airborn', what protection methods are there?

I am finding it hard to think that a 'Respiratory' Mask would be the job because even with one, you still need to breathe. I was looking at some today and although they look like they could keep a lot of stuff out from you taking it in, i doubt they would stop an Airborn disease!

Gas Mask?

You'd need a tank full of clean air though right? What happens when the tank runs out?

Is there any other type of mask?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:05 PM
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Get an N95 mask from the hardware store. Shave your face. Make sure it fits very well with no air gaps. To test this, you can use aerosolized sucrose or something like that to see if you can taste/smell it while wearing the mask. There is some kind of static electric force in the material the mask is made out of that filters out virus particles even if they are smaller than the pores in the mask. Trust me, I've worked with heavily concentrated solutions of extremely deadly influenza virus before and stood at a sink cleaning glassware afterwards. If it had gotten through the mask, I doubt I'd be here right now. It is your best bet short of a PAPR or a personal air supply.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:06 PM
Well it's a virus so the masks people were using for swine flu would likely be equally as effective (so possibly not very).

Do Face Masks Work Against Swine Flu?
There's limited evidence -- but no proof -- that face masks offer some protection against H1NI swine flu.

One study shows that when there's a sick family member in the house, other family members could cut their risk of getting sick by 60% to 80% by using face masks consistently and correctly -- in combination with frequent hand washing and avoiding close contact with the sick person.

Face masks rated as N95 masks -- technically called respirators -- should theoretically work better than surgical masks, which fit more loosely. But at least one study shows no difference in protection in household settings.

Ferret studies suggest that swine flu is spread by large droplets and not by small droplets. All face masks may protect against large droplets; N95 masks may protect against smaller, aerosolized droplets.

Studies consistently show that most people in household and community settings don't use face masks consistently or correctly.

The worry about an airborne strain seems overblown. HIV is a virus that mutates quickly and there is no airborne version. Coughing droplets of liquid on someone (gross) is not the same and a mask helps against that (eye protection probably a good idea as well - mucous membranes).

edit on 25-9-2014 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:10 PM
a reply to: Elton

The reason the idea of wearing masks was popularized during that outbreak was not to protect the person wearing the mask, but to increase the likelihood that a sick person would wear the mask, protecting everyone else from them. With a disease like swine flu, if you can even reduce the number of new infections by 30%, you can end the epidemic. It is the rate of new infections that keeps things boiling along and you don't want a disease like that to become seasonal. It would have been detrimental to our agricultural industry.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:16 PM
a reply to: Nechash

Sure, we make sick people wear respirators sometimes at work (healthcare - reference lab).
True airborne virus transmission probably not stopped by most masks (people don't usually fit them correctly).
Ebola is not airborne (and at best i suspect it will spread by mucous droplets/body fluid contact), masks are good against this kind of thing.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Elton because: TYPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:33 PM
The N95 mask was used across Ontario, Canada during the SARS "outbreak" of 2003...2004? Anyway, All healthcare workers were mandated to wear them with all patients in the 3 months after SARS came about, and it is now mandated that N95's are worn with all respiratory distress calls for 911 services and other unknown respiratory illnesses.

I have a feeling the N95 is the cheapest and easiest to get a hold of. Like your first response by Nechash said, it is usually available at any hardware store. BUT MAKE SURE IT FITS! As there are many sizes.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:47 PM

Ok Thanks.

I know the virus isn't airborn.... yet. I just wanted to know and maybe prepare... just in case.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:03 PM
a reply to: Elton

I was just gonna wear surgical masks if the virus became airborn but I figure a more tight fitting one could do a better job. i was actually going to wear 2 masks. One Surgical Mask and one dust mask over that.
edit on CDTThu, 25 Sep 2014 16:05:09 -05000000003004x109x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:23 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It isn't behaving like a virus that you'd have to contact bodily fluids to contract. I seriously doubt 20% of aide workers would be contracting it if it weren't airborne or if something we don't know about isn't going on. Oh well, just what the planet needed, a contagious form of hemorrhagic fever. Yeah! See, all you people who believe in the law of attraction need to stop watching sci-fi horror movies, lol.

What I wonder is if it isn't airborne if maybe those aide workers weren't intentionally exposed? If the people living there are really that suspicious of them, maybe they are sabotaging their food or something. idk. I know that is highly speculative, but if I were volunteering down there, I'd only buy/drink prepackaged stuff and wear a full containment suit just to be safe. At any rate, the WHO needs to step up its game, and it would be nice if the CDC got involved in this. If this does become airborne or somehow blows into a real pandemic by some other means, it would be terrible. We don't really have words to describe that level of tragedy.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:28 PM

You would be better off just getting an army surplus NBC suit. If they have not released any for sale yet, then it would not be difficult to construct one. Oh, also you might want to think about air filtration for your abode. There are many systems available for the home, but I think the funkiest air filters ever developed were built for the passenger aircraft industry. They feature a mesh of wires, between which flows this electromagnetic field, which totally destroys all bacterial and viral life passing through it on the molecular level.

It's pretty badass, but I cannot remember what the hell it is called, or who makes it just at the moment!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:25 PM

Air supply, that's about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:27 PM

I'm more so thinking that N95 was for your psyche, rather than Dangerous virus protection. Extremely deadly influenza virus is smaller than the pores in your skin, in fact most virus' are.

If it's so extremely deadly you don't need to worry about the tiny particles in the mask, you need to be worried about exposing any part of your body to it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:46 AM
The N95 mask or the ones available in the hardware store are completely useless against airborne bacteria and virus's.

The viral particles are too small and will get through...If Ebola becomes airborne the only protection we have is a respirator or Gas mask!! So I say if we want to be prepared for the very worse perhaps we should all purchase one for each member of our family....

I included a an image and a you would have an idea....

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:09 AM
As other people have said a military gas mask is designed to stop gas/viruses/chemical warfare... and even if it only reduces the risk, wouldnt you rather be wearing one when you find out?

As mentioned the seal around your face is more important than anything else. Test by putting your hand over the filter and breathing in, and the suction should suffocate you!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:12 AM
At an old job, for some products we were required to wear something like these:

They use disposable filters, either the pink particulate or the gray HEPA filters, I would think the HEPA filters would be able to keep out viruses better than an N95 and these masks fit much more snugly. They also have full face masks available that use the same cartridges. I used mine when cleaning out my mom's flooded apartment and they kept the mold out of my lungs very well.

a reply to: paxnatus
Dang you beat me to it.
edit on 9/26/14 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:14 AM

originally posted by: Nechash
It is your best bet short of a PAPR or a personal air supply.

PAPR for me, baby, I got a beard that puts Zach Galifianikis to shame.

The ones we use when we have to use them have the filter media in a sort of baseball cap arrangement, which is great until your head starts sweating really bad, then the flow lights start turning yellow

eta: yes, a good PAPR or snugly fit N95 will stop most airborne viruses, such as influenza. Ebola isn't airborne, but it's at least possible to be spread by droplet, and a N95 will definitely keep the droplets away, and as an N95 class filter stops 99.4% of influenza, and Ebola is about 10x larger, it ought to be ok for a putative airborne Ebola as well.
edit on 26-9-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:42 AM
a reply to: paxnatus

Thanks for the photo. I wasn't sure which one was best and I was originally going to go for that one you posted or this one:

This one is £100 though.

But if this will do the biziness i'll get it:

This one is £30

Or this one:

This is £30
edit on CDTFri, 26 Sep 2014 05:45:31 -0500u3005x131x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:09 PM

I'd say the first one, and cover up good. Your skin has millions of pores that are all potential entry points. Yes, it is less likely, but it is a possibility.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:18 AM

Get an N95 mask from the hardware store.

Sound advice. Is perfectly fine.

As another mentioned though, the primary intended for wearing masks, are those who are infected, to keep them from spreading it, but does offer the wearer protection as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:29 AM
Masks are not as practical as many survivalists think.

Masks are used for operations, that is, a specific task to be carried out in a short time frame.
They usually have a recommended usage of up to a day. They have short expiration dates. They are not meant for you to stalk the ruined landscape in 24/7. They are clumsy, claustrophobic and impede your senses to varying degrees. Sometimes you need lenses to fit in them because your spectacles may not fit. Some older masks contain asbestos, which cause cancer if the filter is damaged.

I really, really do not recommend investing in masks unless you want to deliberately stalk infected areas for whatever reason. I'd use that money for other supplies.

If you really do must wear a mask, make sure it has visors, and ideally ports for two filters, so you can change one filter while still using the other.

top topics

<<   2 >>