It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubya History: Part I, The Fake GOP Rage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Remember the rowdy ruckus raised by pro-Dubya protesters outside the Miami-Dade County elections office in early December 2000? You might have missed it, as most of the major media didn't pay much attention, but the 'demonstration' basically involved a lot of chanting, pounding, fist-waving, knuckle-dragging and drooling. They didn't have much to say, really. They were just angry that a manual recount was taking place at all, because deep down, they knew fewer people in Florida (and the country) voted for their boy. At a certain point, however, things got ugly. The 'protesters' chased and assaulted a vote-counter -- knocking a few innocent bystanders on their asses in the process -- after one of them claimed he saw that person "stealing a ballot" (it turned out to be a sample ballot used by all vote-counters). "Hey," you might be saying to yourself at this point, "I can grok that. People take their politics very seriously. Tempers flare." And you'd be right, of course, but just in case you're laboring under the impression that those protesters were every-day, pissed-off citizens venting their anger at a process they believed to somehow be unfair... think again. They were paid Republican flunkies, flown in from all over the country by the Bush campaign... and it's time to name names. Thanks to our good friends at www.bartcop.com for outing them.

(Note: I've been looking for this since 2000! )

1. Tom Pyle, policy analyst, office of House Majority Whip Tom DeLay (R-Tex.).
2. Garry Malphrus, majority chief counsel and staff director, House Judiciary subcommittee on criminal justice.
3. Rory Cooper, political division staff member at the National Republican Congressional Committee.
4. Kevin Smith, former House Republican conference analyst and more recently of Voter.com.
5. Steven Brophy, former aide to Sen. Fred D. Thompson (R-Tenn.), who went on to work at the consulting firm KPMG.
6. Matt Schlapp, former chief of staff for Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.), moved on to the Bush campaign staff in Austin.
7. Roger Morse, aide to Rep. Van Hilleary (R-Tenn.).
8. Duane Gibson, aide to Chairman Don Young (R-Alaska) of the House Resources Committee.
9. Chuck Royal, legislative assistant to Rep. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.).
10. Layna McConkey, former legislative assistant to former Rep. Jim Ross Lightfoot (R-Iowa), eventually got a job at Steelman Health Strategies.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Bout Time]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Here You Go...I hope this will Help make your point even more..I hav'nt read all,I'm busy with another thread on the side..

www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I look through it!

I wonder what conclusion Free Republic will come to?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Wow! How do people still chant pro-Bush rhetoric when things like this are repeatedly brought to light? I am thoroughly against the bi-partisan system, but I would think that if this were happening to democrats, there would be some pretty pissed off supporters looking for answers to these kinds of deception and manipulation. That fact that republican/Bush supporters dismiss these things "regular politics" or not a big deal is pretty disheartening.

Great find BT!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Great find BoutTime! I've read similar accounts of the WTO protests in Seattle and looting in Iraq. Apparently there would be groups let in by the police who would incite riots, and then the police would let them out again.

But anyway, this isn't surprising at all. This is democracy after all?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I live in a NH town on the MA/NH border. The weeks before the election, there was a steady stream of school buses that would unload Kerry supporters to do their dirty work every day.

Election day, you couldn't get near some of the polling places, there were so many cars with Mass. plates.

I must have had at least half a dozen Democrats knock on my door and ask their stupid questions. You could tell they were not from in town (this is one of the reasons Bush won the election, BTW - the Repubs that knocked on your door were from your precinct).

These guys must've been paid, because they certainly weren't politically astute. They could not answer even the most elementary questions on the issues. I had great fun with them!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I've read similar accounts of the WTO protests in Seattle and looting in Iraq. Apparently there would be groups let in by the police who would incite riots, and then the police would let them out again.

In Seattle, was it the Republicans the ones breaking store windows and destroying property? Maybe I saw different film...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I've read similar accounts of the WTO protests in Seattle and looting in Iraq. Apparently there would be groups let in by the police who would incite riots, and then the police would let them out again.

In Seattle, was it the Republicans the ones breaking store windows and destroying property? Maybe I saw different film...

Republican? Democrat? Do we really know and does it matter? No. They were agents of government. There's no difference between the two parties, they each have the same effect and complement each other quite well.

For example, no protestors were allowed on that Georgia Island for the G-8 Summit due to the riots at the Seattle WTO conference.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
If I recall correctly the protesters were flown in to observe the recount. I believe the protest was held to draw attention to the varying standards by which the votes were being recounted. I don't think they were flown in for the specific purpose of staging a protest.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum
If I recall correctly the protesters were flown in to observe the recount. I believe the protest was held to draw attention to the varying standards by which the votes were being recounted. I don't think they were flown in for the specific purpose of staging a protest.

You call that observing a recount? Looks like a staged riot to me.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Only four years later, it can be hard to get a straight story about this event. Here is the most neutral account I've found so far:

From CNN.com:
Florida appeals court refuses to order Miami-Dade to recount ballots

[Way down the page...] A crowd of Republican protesters yelled for police to arrest Miami-Dade County Democratic Chairman Joe Geller, accusing him of walking out of the vote tabulation room with a ballot in his pocket. Police surrounded Geller and led him to safety. Geller said he had merely been given a "training ballot'' by officials. Responding to the incident, Gore campaign attorney Kendall Coffey accused Republicans of "baseless accusations."

Republican recount observers protested briefly today as an attempt was made to move recount operations to a new room in the Miami-Dade County courthouse. The new room is smaller than the area that had been used up to now. As Republican observers tried to enter the new ballot-counting room, they were not immediately allowed in, prompting some to chant "Let us in." The Miami-Dade canvassing board, which had ordered the room change, later reversed itself, meaning it would continue the recount in the original room. There were no arrests. The morning disruption occurred before the board's decision to skip recounts entirely.

Note that the "riot" took place on November 22, 2000, not in early December.

Some other sources:

From Salon.com:
Miami's rent-a-riot

Remember last week's ugly protest of the hand recount? Elin all over? Guess again -- Washington GOP operatives were running this circus.

From WorldNetDaily.com:
Miami-Dade: Intimidated by GOP mob?

Why did the Miami-Dade canvassing board vote against the recount, having earlier supported it? According to Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., " ... A mob threatened them, banged on their doors, roughed up people ... and they succumbed to the mob violence and intimidation." Nadler even detected a "whiff of fascism" in the air. Gore adviser Ron Klain condemned the "mob violence that stopped the vote in Dade County."

From WSWS.org:
Anatomy of a right-wing riotthe Republican mob attack in Miami-Dade

More details have come to light concerning the events on Wednesday at the Miami-Dade County Canvassing Board that led to the board's decision to halt manual recounting of ballots in the presidential election. The board's sudden announcement that it was abandoning the recount meant that hundreds of votes, mostly for Democratic candidate Al Gore, would not be included in the official state-wide tally.

Of course, opinions vary regarding just what the heck this was, with Republicans seeming not to want to talk about it and Democrats comparing it to a beer-hall putsch.

Most of the articles about it on the Internet (I estimate at least 95% after searching through pages of links) are from leftists trying to make it seem somehow important, and not doing a very convincing job of it.

I remember when this happened, and I remember thinking the "riot" was staged by Republicans brought in to oversee the recount. I don't remember thinking it was staged by "voters", but was a protest staged by Republican recount observers -- as reported by CNN.

If anyone has any evidence it was reported as a "voter protest" by a reputable media source, I would like to see it.

Sorting through all the lies and innuendo coming from both sides, I think it comes down to something like this (although I could be mistaken):

Republicans: "It was a spontaneous outpouring of frustration by recount observers."

Democrats: "It was a brutal riot that changed the outcome of the recount."

Me: "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

While this was an interesting event (seriously, how many "Republican riots" take place?), and knowing more about the participants is an interesting exercise, I'm having a hard time figuring out just where the beef is in this story.

Partisanship causes brain decay. If you must think, please, think responsibly.
A Majic Public Service Announcement

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
If anyone has any evidence it was reported as a "voter protest" by a reputable media source

Magic ABC news was reporting it was a riot of voters, I don't have a link to it but I was wathcing the news that day and remember it pretty clearly. If I find a link I will let you know though.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Apparently there would be groups let in by the police who would incite riots, and then the police would let them out again.

The term for this is agent provokateur... been used many times. Also see the miami model for embedding of journalists and the beating of the one that aren't.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Fake Moral Outrage: Freeper Tactics

Look at how both our sheep & paid posters on ATS mouthed some variation of this theme: "They're against us, we're the ones who endure bias, we need to get mad & get active....circle the wagons!!"

new topics

top topics

join