It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Is About to Lose 80% of Its Users, Study Says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Time

Really?

I don't believe it. I don't think social media is a fad I think we're just beginning to see the birth of this technology. Where 's it going to bring us?

I don't know... Eventually it's going to lead to total transparency. Yes I agree with rogan. Think match making algorithm with a rating system for each person. You won't have to interact anymore with people your not socially comparable with. You'll be able to read reviews, resumes, everything.

Facebook’s growth will eventually come to a quick end, much like an infectious disease that spreads rapidly and suddenly dies, say Princeton researchers who are using diseases to model the life cycles of social media.

Sounds to me like someone is starting a new company or someone was fired or has a personal agenda.
edit on 9/25/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

And the entire premise of using a disease based model is completely ridiculous. Is this really Princeton? God I hope there are more intelligent people in their STEM programs.

God I hope so.
edit on 9/25/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Lets hope so. Cant stand the founder or the fbook.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I had read somewhere that there are youngins that grew up with no choice but tone all over the internet due to parents and fb. That's why apps like snapchat are so popular.

There are many studies saying why this is an issue for future undercover job openings.

I think people could just be tired of being online and accountable for their stupidity. I want to be able to be young and dumb. Not constantly worried where a picture will get to.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I know a lot of folks that have deleted their FB accounts. I'm going to.

link   
a reply to: onequestion

It was a Harvard invention.

I do agree with the premise...

Facebook is in decline.

link   
I recently heard that Facebook was going to start charging a fee to partake. I think if that happens a large group of users will disperse. I imagine they will go elsewhere for their "fix" however. Like Zenga, myspace, and countless others. I agree with you though, in that social media will never die. it will continue to evolve to the point where it's a part of us or something. Whether its implanted in our brains or becomes almost like a calling card is yet to be seen. But we the users will inevitably create it as we have done so in the past. I think we have just scratched the surface of the social media experiment. It's evolving to the wants and needs of society. Gosh can you only imagine what a Facebook type concept would look like in 10 years, 50 years, 1,000 years!? It may become more real than reality....

link   
While I think it unlikely, at least in the near term, it's definitely possible.

Social networks are like pyramid schemes -- once people start to leave, it cascades. I hang out on Facebook because a) my friends and family are on there, b) I play some multi-player games on it and c) I use Facebook "groups" to get stuff done with other people, like organizing the weekly ATS Radio show. If the people that I communicate with left Facebook, there isn't much reason for me to keep using it.

What would it take for people to either leave en masse or stop signing up for it? I don't know, but it is hardly impossible, and when that happens, Facebook will be over and "U-Face" or "FriendHangOut.com" or whatever will be the new Facebook.

And don't get me started on Twitter, I have never understood the appeal of that, lol.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Wait for it... Wait for it...
Face palm!
Wait, maybe that'll be the new trend. God knows we could use a good communal face palm right now.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
There's only so much boasting and bull&^%*$ing one can do. Haven't used it for over 2years.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I haven't had a FB account in forever, but my wife does. My teenage kids have informed me that facebook is indeed dead and have been replaced by snapchat, vine and instagram to a lesser degree.

According to them, too many parents and older people have facebook and it's more of an adult site as far as keeping track of events and posting family pictures than it is for younger people to have something to create their "online persona".

Basically FB has been adopted by the masses, including old people and companies and kids no longer feel as if it is cool or relevant. It won't go the way of Myspace, that just got replaced by something better, but it will soon be the wasteland of businesses promoting themselves and parents posting birthday pics...all the real traffic is moving off to other more fluid means of communication and electronic social posturing.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nowyouseeme
There are studies saying exactly that. Which is why fb had to get its hands into so many "log in" with agreements.

I personally don't think kids should have an online personna.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nowyouseeme

Good post, I feel that too. In the very beginning I could post a picture/post to my friends. Then it included my parents, my grandparents, my bosses from work. I didn't want to be so impolite as not to respond to their friend requests, but by the time it was over, I'd have to think about which of hundreds of people could be offended by anything I'd say and how it could damage me, and I just stopped posting.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

edit on 9/25/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue

I don't try to be polite I just be me lol.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I see no reason why it wouldn't decline.

It will follow in the footsteps of AOL.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Why not? At one point everyone under 30 used MySpace, and only 16k people had ever even heard of Facebook. Two years later, no one used MySpace at all.

"Business people," especially lazy investor-types - don't want to hear that Facebook will one day dwindle to near obscurity, but why shouldn't that be the case? Every pop culture thing, from Poodle Skirts to the Rolling Stones eventually fades. You may still be able to buy one, but the demand will be nothing like it was in the growth / plateau phase of its life-cycle, and for good reason:

Business is predicated on innovation, expansion and revolution. That's why your favorite restaurant from ten years ago isn't that good anymore, and no one else you have spoken to about it disagrees.

As a thing grows, it necessarily cheapens itself in a quest for greater efficiency and profit. This action can have only one outcome for the consumer: dissatisfaction. The product or fad has dwindled in your mind because it is no longer serving your interests exclusively. It is now catering to everyone's interests, including its shareholders.

I give Facebook another 10 months of gratuitous media exposure, followed by a short hard fall as it is supplanted by something shinier. In 2 years? No one but grandma will ever log into it. Same as it ever was.
edit on 25-9-2014 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2014 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It's already showing signs of outliving it's cycle.

lots of competition out there and some of these guys do a better job than ole FB
Twitter
Instagram
Snapchat
Tumblr
Google+
Vine
Wanelo
Kik Messenger
Ooovoo
Ask.fm
Yik Yak
WhatsApp
Omegle
Yo.
Whisper

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Years ago people said that myspace going down would be impossible and today that particular site is pretty much dead. I use Facebook pretty regularly to keep in contact with friends but I've been checking it less and less. There's only so many Lolcats and complaining a guy can take before he doesn't care anymore.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You should see the look on peoples faces when I say I don't have facebook.
Like I got some strange disease or something...

Ah well... All sheeple anyway

edit on 25-9-2014 by drneville because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps
Whatsapps lets you pay not to see ads. People are tired of it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join