It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Have a Blessed Day"? No thanks....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It sounds to me like your just being an ass.
They are giving you their best wishes and are not inferring that you are a christian. I'm an atheist and don't get offended by merry Christmas. Just think of them as wishing you well and lighten up.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nowyouseeme
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

While I respect your right to believe what you like to believe, I'd appreciate if you would stop judging me and actually discuss the issue at hand.

We are talking about an idea and how I perceive things, there is no need to call me "Self Centered" or tell me repeated that I need to "look inside myself" to find some other truth or some problem with me.

Actually, you are kind of making my point for me...those who support this kind of blessing feel as if they have ultimate moral authority and truth and don't consider others when throwing around their words.

No, you aren't making me upset...but if you could please ADD to this conversation instead of focusing on what you feel is wrong with my perception and how I'm constructed, maybe I could see your intellectual point a bit better?

Except the fact that you are judging them for trying to be nice to you........

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?

Im not judging anything, Im replying to your reaction to people who are either trying to wish you well , or are expressing how they feel about their OWN happiness.....

One has nothing to do with you, and the other vexes me why you would possibly be upset with someone wishing good things upon you.....

Youre upset at a kind gesture......

Why people spend so much time being upset about things that are irrelevant doesnt make sense to me, especially if they dont believe in them.......

Ask yourself this "Will them telling me, "bless you" or "Be blessed" really affect me? A month from now? Tomorrow? an hour from now?

No, not if youre being honest, and if thats the case, why let it take up rent in your head and your emotions when theres plenty of other genuinely horrible things out there to be concerned with....

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nowyouseeme

Some say the word Good-bye is a blessing, so I guess you are screwed lol

www.johnsanidopoulos.com...
edit on 123030p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

This is one of those choose your battles sort of a thing.

I don't really think people are thinking when they bless you. I even say it and I'm an atheist. Southern styles of speaking have a lot of blessing going on. To me, it's not a big deal.

"Bless his heart" -Kid did something nice
"Bless you" -Sneeze
"God bless you"- Sneeze

Honestly I don't care. Most of the people I know that speak this way have thick southern accents. It's just pummeled into your head since a young age. There are things that do bother me, like thanking god instead of a doctor that just saved your life. To me that's just rude...but for the smaller things I say it's a case of pick your battles. Half the time people don't even mean anything religious by it. It's just southern twang.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Ignoring the validity of your or anyone else's religious beliefs (or lack there of) I don't understand how you think the appropriate response to someone/anyone wishing you well in a misguided (in your opinion) manner is to deliberately offend them in return.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don't believe in any specific God but I still tell people who really deserve it—"God bless your soul" or etc..
I take it as genuine admiration or praise, so I use it as such. Just accept the good will and move on.

quit being so cynical

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Blessings are not only in Christianity.

Lets say that real blessing is giving chi/light to a person thru Intention->manifestation. That chi/light flowing thru the body creates a field around the person just like current in a power cable create a electromagnetic magnetic field. That field can create improbable outcomes and therefore can be called a synchronicity field. A field that can disrupt randomness.

People use this in for instance in Reiki (a laying of hands tool that is not affiliated with any religious view) to help people relax and get the self healing of the natural body to work a little better. Some play around with it to bliss and love meditation that is another tool for pushing chi/light thru your body.

11:11 synchronicity and increased awareness is due to increased synchronicity field around us. Telepathy can be achieved by two people who choose to bend the field so that total synchronicity occur.

How strong these fields are and how much they can disrupt reality is the big question that I have no answer to. I only know when it works.

To those who can handle it. I wish you have a beautiful day today and that you feel happy and loved by someone/something. Thank you for being.
edit on 25-9-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Here's from etymonline.com:

bless (v.) Look up bless at Dictionary.com
Old English bletsian, bledsian, Northumbrian bloedsian "to consecrate, make holy, give thanks," from Proto-Germanic *blodison "hallow with blood, mark with blood," from *blotham "blood" (see blood).

Originally a blood sprinkling on pagan altars. This word was chosen in Old English bibles to translate Latin benedicere and Greek eulogein, both of which have a ground sense of "to speak well of, to praise," but were used in Scripture to translate Hebrew brk "to bend (the knee), worship, praise, invoke blessings." Meaning shifted in late Old English toward "pronounce or make happy," by resemblance to unrelated bliss. No cognates in other languages. Related: Blessed; blessing.

edit on 25-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

beautiful post, little.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I also prefer to think that I have more personal control over my day rather than leaving it up to the whims of some mystical force.

A force is only mystical until people choose to know it, experience it, understand it and quantify it.
. To the people who first saw electricity it was an amazing mystical thing. Once you get used to it is is just normal.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I would be offended if someone asked "accepted Jesus in to my heart" if they have the idea that they are right because they say they have. Shows more using Jesus as a cloak of clothing to show others and not a teacher on how to behave. I blame Paul for that crap deviating from Jesus core message.

Matthew 25:31-46 is the perfect verse to show people who are playing around with Jesus as a cloak of clothing. Many will say Jesus in words but not in action and Jesus will call them goats.

Rumi, Nanak and Buddha is easier from my point of view to get the secrets even Jesus taught. We are all soul brothers and soul sisters and should look out for one another.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The "have a blessed day" thing bugs me a little, but not enough to do anything about it. If I wanted to be a jerk, I guess I could say "have a progressive liberal day". Something tells me most people who say have a blessed day aren't very progressive/liberal, so they might get offended at that. But to me, being a progressive liberal is a good thing...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: magicrat

I can't remember the last time anyone told me to have a blessed day, does this happen often to you?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

It's been going on over here for ages, only they claim to be "frelst". Now looking up "frelse" gives a definition of "salvation" so in a sense "frelst" means "salvaged by God" or "saved" by the same. Now is it just me or are they all being a bit cocky? It's a bit early on in the series to claim the big trophy, don't you think? Guess it only works as long as they manage to 'keep up the spirit' so to speak and 'remain with the flock'.

It would be a fun experiment (and God would probably love the resulting research material), to put 100 such saved and blessed Christians in a kind of Big Brother setting (perhaps named 'Big Father'?), and instead of voting them out, a computer spits them out one by one as they come to break any of the commandments. The lie detector sessions would be a daily affair, and breakfast would be one of the most difficult things (kosher hotdogs? Don't think so, or kosher prawns? nah) and then there would be other things like if they remembered to bring the paddle among their personal belongings and if they have any of those terrible mixed fabrics shirts for instance.

Well, naturally the whole show would be a sin in itself (second commandment stuff) and being Christian in the modern kind of way would also be in direct violation of the first commandment AND a few others among the usual ten, AND quite a few of the additional 606 laws in the Torah. Purgatory comes to mind as a natural spin-off and first price could be gene therapy to render the person revitalised added 50 or 100 years life expectancy and immunity against most known viral infections. Or better still, a trip into space. Would be great!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

May the God, god, Goddess, goddess, Gods, gods, diety, dieties, non-diety, non-dieties, wish upon you a day unfilled with challenges, unless you enjoy challenges, then may you be granted a day filled with only acceptable challenges that you desire or look forward to, as well as your health which may be good or bad and hoping that you wish for your health to improve (or not, as the case may be), also that your career (unless you are unemployed and I have offended you by implying that you have a career when you did not want one, are looking for one, or are retired), and your family (apologies if you are single or gender neutral and/or do not wish to have a family because of over population, global warming, or if it costs too mcuh), also the night as well as the day, may be wished upon you happiness unless you are suffering from clinical depression then disregard this well wishings because it probably won't do any good and you'll just wait until the medication kicks in unless you are against medication and vaccinations which would elicit a further apology because I didn't mean to presume that you are clinically depressed nor did I think that you needed medication even if you did or did not like the idea of pharmaceutical companies applying neurotrophic driugs into your system to conform to a set societal standard that is engineered by varying socieatal standards that change all the time.

Or

Have a blessed day.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: magicrat

I can't remember the last time anyone told me to have a blessed day, does this happen often to you?

Absolutely. That may be part of the reason people have such different perspectives about it. I live in Chicago and I think it's become an almost daily occurrence in my daily life. Pretty sure two people said it to me today.

And I'm not thinking about friendly neighbors saying it in passing, I'm thinking about employees saying it in their official capacity as employees -- checkout workers at the supermarket, insurance agents, school administrators, greeters at Target, etc. It's become very common.

It doesn't really bother me. People can say whatever they want and I'll say whatever I want and hopefully we'll all be happy. But since the OP asked us to think about this and respond, I'm exploring thoughts with you all, and I think people would run into problems with their customers and/or employers if they used a similar but clearly non-Christian phrase to say hello or goodbye in an official capacity. But since this is a Christian phrase we're all assumed to be okay with it (and while I concede that the idea of "blessing" has many non-Christian associations, it is often said with a clearly Christian context -- i.e. stressing the word "blessed" in the phrase and/or pronouncing "blessed" with two syllables).

I certainly don't want to tell anyone not to say it. Or anything else they want to say. Just sharing my opinions in a good open discussion about it.

By the way, L'Shanah Tovah, everyone.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
One nation, under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Second line......

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Oh dear, my PC just became a vending machine for equilibrium bliss!

I am fully satisfied, but haeh? Feels wonderfull, I am OK, not great, but blissfully unattached

originally posted by: beezzer

May the God, god, Goddess, goddess, Gods, gods, diety, dieties, non-diety, non-dieties, wish upon you a day unfilled with challenges, unless you enjoy challenges, then may you be granted a day filled with only acceptable challenges that you desire or look forward to, as well as your health which may be good or bad and hoping that you wish for your health to improve (or not, as the case may be), also that your career (unless you are unemployed and I have offended you by implying that you have a career when you did not want one, are looking for one, or are retired), and your family (apologies if you are single or gender neutral and/or do not wish to have a family because of over population, global warming, or if it costs too mcuh), also the night as well as the day, may be wished upon you happiness unless you are suffering from clinical depression then disregard this well wishings because it probably won't do any good and you'll just wait until the medication kicks in unless you are against medication and vaccinations which would elicit a further apology because I didn't mean to presume that you are clinically depressed nor did I think that you needed medication even if you did or did not like the idea of pharmaceutical companies applying neurotrophic driugs into your system to conform to a set societal standard that is engineered by varying socieatal standards that change all the time.

Or

Have a blessed day.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join