It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a light sleeper, even mosquitoes wake me up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
You are lying in bed asleep and suddenly you are awakened by that annoying zzz-ing sound of a mosquito flying close to your ear. Thats what happened to me last night and many nights throughout the summer. Of course, I could get a mozzie net but I think there should be some way to detect mosquitoes before they get close.

I had thought of a mini radar but I am not sure the technology is good at that kind of size and I am not sure I want microwaves zooming around inside my house either.

So... There has been a microphone so sensitive that it can detect sounds at a cellular level so why not have something like this and 'listen' out for that same zzz-ing frequency that mozzes make with their wings. As far as I can tell, it is the same sound whatever the size and if we could detect them flying around in the dark, we could pin-point their direction, cos they are damn tricky things to find in a room-sized space (and when I am half-asleep too).

Any other ideas?

Cockroaches, well thats another story. They fly around in the summer looking for mates. I've seen them and squashed them (and no, I am not mistaking them for normal beetles)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Do you mean suggestions for getting rid of them? Personally, I can't recommend any remedies because I've never tried any of them, so I'd suggest searching for them on the net.

Off topic but if anyone ever has trouble with ants, a half half solution of borax and white sugar mixed thoroughly does the trick. I wouldn't put it where kids or animals could get at it. S + F, you'd make an excellent security guard. You could sleep on the job if you wanted and you would still be very alert

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I don't know much about detectors but i really hate that noise aswell, i react really badly to mosquito bites they swell up and itch like crazy its horrible! It would be cool if there was some kind of detector that shot out a lazer that got rid of them for you.
Burning citronella works well but has such a strong scent it might be hard to sleep with it in the air, all i can think of is investing in a bug zapper! But i know that the normal ultraviolet light ones don't work too well on mozzies and there are certain types made for mosquitos that are okay for use in a small room like a bedroom.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

Any other ideas?

Damn skeeters…

Heres what I found worked most of the time. Once you become aware there is one in your space,you will of course try and slap, in the dark, half asleep… this usually doesn't work. The mosquito will hide in the room somewhere and wait for you to fall back asleep to try again.

I used to get up, turn on a light and look at the walls and curtain surfaces until I spotted the blood sucker. Then its a quick jolt of carb cleaner or whatever to zap 'em.

You can go through this motion and defeat them when they are hiding or lay down, turn off the light and get the…

…eeeeeeeeeeeennnnnntt over and again, all night long.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

I thought I was the only one who imagined a laser bug zapper

It would save a lot of hassle. Unless it malfunctions.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
You need a big ol'box fan to drown out noise and lull you to sleep.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Funny thing about mosquitoes. Only the females bite, but they don't buzz. It's the males that buzz, but they don't bite. So, if you're trying to sleep and you hear a mosquito buzzing, you're safe. But if you don't hear a mosquito buzzing...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

Ear plugs.

But clean your ears regularly after showering if you use them.
edit on 25-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
N3k9Ni
I understood that the buzzing was their wings and both males and females have wings so...what you have said does not make sense to me.

I do know that males have feathery antenna and live on plant juices and as you say dont need the blood.. Females need the blood for their eggs and need blood from (I think) two different people. After they have done their blood-sucking, they try to get out of the windows/doors to find water to lay their eggs.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
You're talking about just one single mozzie?

I live in an area where at times you can have a dozen. all in the bedroom. all in a symphony of annoying. what I do is get a nice fat can of mortien. fill the room till everything is dead or dying. then set the house on fire.

I cannot stand mozzies. or blowflys. of cockroaches. or... GOD CRICKETS... and they just sit outside the window screeching all night long, filling your skull with agony and distraction till your brain throbs and you feel your ears starting to swell. and you can wad tissue in your ear, ear plugs what ever, but your brain has heard them now.. and it wont leave you be. it will make you THINK you can still hear it. Until you remove the ear plugs and viola - silence... but those shifty devils are waiting.. because no sooner you do that, you hear it, struggling to get back up to speed.

Yes. burning the house down is the only way.

Oo

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm a very heavy sleeper. Even a burning house wouldn't wake me up.

new topics

top topics

join