It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Insanity" Defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm going to open a can of worms here - If someone is dangerous to society, then they're a danger to society. I see SOMEWHAT, where the insanity defense MAY be OK to stop a death sentence however, I don't see why those who murder, rape, or committ any other heinous crime should be given a slap on the wrist. Many of these horrible headlines are committed by repeat offenders with a "history of mental illness." I don't mean to sound like a cold blooded person with no compassion. I am very compassionate about those with mental handicaps. However as I said earlier, if someone is a danger to society - shouldn't they be dealt with?

[edit on 12/7/2004 by superdude]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Paranoid, The Insanity defense is just a loop hole in our justice system. This usually works if the person who commited the crime is a good actor and his/her attorney is a very good commentator. The ideal plea with this is if you win by insanity you get placed in a mental institution until a doctor sees fit to release you into public. For example, a person commits a crime, then admits doing it, then shows no remorse by convincing the powers that be that he/ she truely did not know his/her actions were wrong. Basically if you can prove you do not understand what you did to be wrong with no compassion or empathy.. you got it, off to the mental hospital and out after a year as long as you learn not to take the meds they describe too you or you probably will end up thier for life because the meds will actually make you insane...How ironic..

On the other hand, if someone is really sick, why not treat them as we do a horse. It cant be fixed, so put it down....... sorry if that offends anyone but if its good for an animal why shouldnt it be good for a sick human being?

just my thoughts

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
lol....serial killers fall under that "Mentally insane" section, but I can't see a court allowing this person go into a mental institute, with a history of someone like, let's say, TED BUNDY, lol...

join