It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana 14-Year Old Shot Dead By Police After Altercation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A black teenager was shot dead during an altercation with a black police officer investigating reports of armed males entering an abandoned house in a small city near New Orleans, Louisiana state police said on Tuesday.

The altercation between the Terrebonne Parish deputy and the alleged intruders was inside a home in a heavily residential area of Houma, about 57 miles southwest of New Orleans, Louisiana State Police spokesman Evan Harrell said.

A weapon was found "in close proximity" to the 14-year-old victim's body, Harrell said, adding a fifth person was being sought by police after escaping from the home.

The teen who was killed was identified as Cameron Tillman by family members near the scene of the incident, local CBS affiliate WWL-TV reported.

The boy was shot by an officer, Harrell said.

Deputies were responding to 911 emergency calls of armed individuals entering the house, he said.

The shooting was being investigated by state police at the request of the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office, Harrell said.

Two juveniles and an 18-year-old were arrested, but police were not releasing their identities, Harrell said. The three suspects are facing possible criminal trespassing charges.

news.yahoo.com...

Just read this article on Yahoo! and haven't seen it anywhere else. I'm confused as why this is not national news. I mean, a Police Officer shot and KILLED a 14 year old boy. Was this really necessary? To kill the kid? Why couldn't he have just tased him or let him go?
edit on 9/24/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Now, it was a black officer. Will the blacks riot and loot?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The laws and training since 9/11 make it so, its the world We have created and the supreme court has backed it up!!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Was this really necessary? To kill the kid? Why couldn't he have just tased him, or let him go?

These things don't go like the movies. Of course with hardly any information I can't say whether or not this was a justified shooting, but neither can anyone else.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that a kid breaking into homes was armed. Why would a cop just let him go? I don't know if it's policy but I'm fairly sure it is (or should be) that when you enter a home that's being broken into and suspect the people inside are armed you have your gun out. You don't have time to reholster and pull out your taser if attacked with a weapon. Not saying that's what happened, but it sure isn't set in stone it's not.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce

Now, it was a black officer. Will the blacks riot and loot?

I'm thinking the same thing myself.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Too much to ask for you to read the first paragraph?

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A black teenager was shot dead during an altercation with a black police officer investigating reports of armed males entering an abandoned house in a small city near New Orleans, Louisiana state police said on Tuesday.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

I read the whole article. An abandoned home is still a home. I didn't say anything about it being occupied.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What are you thoughts on the matter?
Is is that your just wondering if this will cause the same outrage as another recent shooting or do you feel as tho the officer was in the right or wrong?
Is this thread about the shooting, or about the lack of outrage by people?

I think its another case of cops shooting first and asking questions later, 'close proximity' can mean a lot of things when it is said in a police report, those are embellished IMO.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The house being abandoned is not material to the case. If a law enforcement agency hears of a group of armed individuals busting into an abandoned property, that could be a signifier for a gang meet, or that the building is about to be used as a staging area for a serious offence else where.

At that point, the response is going to be heavy, because there are no legitimate reasons for armed individuals to break into an abandoned property, and all similar behaviour has criminal overtones which could result, if left unchecked, or dealt with too softly, in a major crime being perpetrated, that could have been stopped before it began!

link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I think its another case of cops shooting first and asking questions later, 'close proximity' can mean a lot of things when it is said in a police report, those are embellished IMO.

That could certainly be some creative report writing and weapon is a pretty broad term.

link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
What are you thoughts on the matter?
Is is that your just wondering if this will cause the same outrage as another recent shooting or do you feel as tho the officer was in the right or wrong?
Is this thread about the shooting, or about the lack of outrage by people?

My thoughts in the matter are why this is not national news? A cop shot a 14 year old.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

eh; because he was breaking into a home, or abandoned property, and therefor it's going to face less/create less controversy from the initial reports.

the other shootings, like ferguson, generate controversy because of an unarmed man being shot on the street by a police officer.

this is seen as an unjust act in the majority of people's eyes, the injustice was augmented by comparing the population demographics versus the police demographics.

if you want a movement perhaps you should start one.

edit on 24-9-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Because there is no information so as of now it sounds like a cop shot a 14 year old that was potentially armed and somewhere he was not supposed to be.

There's also no race baiting potential seeing as the cop was black too. Even though I disagree with that (a black person and especially a cop can be racist towards black people) the media seems not to.

It might get picked up but I doubt it. There's nothing to get people riled up over yet.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I read the whole article. An abandoned home is still a home. I didn't say anything about it being occupied.

My apologies if I jumped to conclusions....cops killing kids suck.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

So the thread is not about the shooting then, just about rather it should be a national outrage at this point?

I am outraged if makes you feel any better, hate reading about a kid getting killed.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So the thread is not about the shooting then, just about rather it should be a national outrage at this point?

I am outraged if makes you feel any better, hate reading about a kid getting killed.

It's about the shooting. I want to know if there were any reasons to shoot at the kids. Did they shoot first? Do cops usually shot first and ask questions later?
edit on 9/24/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

The laws and training since 9/11 make it so, its the world We have created and the supreme court has backed it up!!

yeah... :derp:

www.cbsnews.com...
While attempting to make contact with the suspects inside, the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office (TPSO) says a patrolman shot an armed suspect, later identified as Tillman. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

don't care if they're 4, 14 or 44.... an armed individual at a crime scene is going to be removed from the equation by whatever means possible necessary... simple as that.

't least the usual 'race card' playas can't cry, here:

www.cbsnews.com...
The name of the deputy involved is being withheld at this time. Officers say that the deputy involved is an African-American, 7-year member of the patrol division, a field training officer and a member of the TPSO SWAT team.

there don't seem to be any further 'details' regarding how the situation went down, other than two sheriff's deputies show up to investigate a theft in process call.

they get there. see what they see, an one of them shoots/kills an armed suspect who, after the fact, turns out to be a 14 year old kid.

shoulda made better life choices, imo.

edit on 9/24/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: strike: possible to clarify necessary

edit on 9/24/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: to add source links for external content

link   

Hey no problem. I agree, even when justified it's incredibly sad.

link   
I am with Domo and 12m8keall2c

The black thing is covered now so no need to go there.

1.It would happen fast.
2.a weapon was found beside the suspect's body,regardless of what weapon be it a gun or a knife.
3.The cop probably has a family to go home to.

When you put your name on the wheel and you spin it....sometimes your name comes up.
The kid put his name on the wheel.

Its a tragedy for that kids family I am sure,but I am not going blame the cop and go along for the cop hater ride I am sure people are craving.

edit on 24-9-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

It's about the shooting. I want to know if there were any reasons to shoot at the kids. Did they shoot first? Do cops usually shot first and ask questions later?

Well since you admittedly have no idea, why the outrage?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join