It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand jury declines press charges on tony Stewart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Tony Stewart will not be prosecuted for hitting another driver on the track. Apparently kevin ward was under the influence of marijuana, "enough to impair judgement"

www.foxnews.com...

Experts said Stewart could have been charged with second-degree manslaughter under New York law if prosecutors believe he "recklessly caused the death of another person," with negligent homicide another possibility.

This is bound to go to civil court where he may not get off so lucky.
Being intoxicated will hurt the ward families case though.

edit on 24-9-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: fixed tags.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I think this is a fair decision. There was just noway to demonstrate that Stewart did anything wrong given the evidence. This is very much a case of Ward being reckless with his own safety... DON'T CHARGE A DARK TRACK IN A BLACK FIRESUIT

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I agree.
Stay away from the fast moving cars... Duh.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
And I'm drunk apparently. I thought they said Tony Stewart was high.

Me talking lol.
edit on 24-9-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I wonder if they will release the results of the toxicology, I am sure we are all aware how long marijuana will stay in your system, so I would be curious what the results were.
ETA: Previous source had its info wrong, found a better one.
www.canorml.org...

An expert panel review of scientific studies on driving under the influence of cannabis concluded that THC levels above 3.5 - 5 ng/ml in blood (or 7 - 10 ng/ml in serum) indicate likely impairment [Grotenhermen].

It goes on to talk about lower amounts having not shown impairment, while I agree when driving a race car, you should not but under the influence, I would like to see the proof that he was and it wasn't just a trace amount from previous usage
I will say it would have been hard to press charges against him, but I still feel he did not make an effort to avoid kevin by any means.
edit on thWed, 24 Sep 2014 16:58:24 -0500America/Chicago920142480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I thought it was deliberate to be honest. I can see it being a mistake but race car drivers usually know the width of their cars inside and out so avoiding him wouldn't have been easy but it would have been possible. Seems too coincidental, in an argument then gets hit.

Marijuana can stay in the system for over a year in chronic users. His "under the influence" may have been a bowl from 2 weeks ago.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Good.

I knew he wasn't going to get charged, it's a sad situation but it was his own fault for going on the track...

-SAP-

(post by Iiber8 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

"I will say it would have been hard to press charges against him, but I still feel he did not make an effort to avoid kevin by any means."

I think it should be worded Kevin went out of his way to be in front of Stewart. It was my understanding there was a car in front of Stewart that swerved out of the way and Stewart had no place to go. I haven't seen any footage. Seriously if you are a driver and THC stays in your system for that long to test positive what kind of moron would smoke dope and be a professional driver. You automatically implicate yourself just by testing positive, small amount of not. Why not just remove any doubt and don't smoke. I heard this report as well today, what a sad thing for the family. I wonder if they knew he was a smoker.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

"I will say it would have been hard to press charges against him, but I still feel he did not make an effort to avoid kevin by any means."

I think it should be worded Kevin went out of his way to be in front of Stewart. It was my understanding there was a car in front of Stewart that swerved out of the way and Stewart had no place to go. I haven't seen any footage. Seriously if you are a driver and THC stays in your system for that long to test positive what kind of moron would smoke dope and be a professional driver. You automatically implicate yourself just by testing positive, small amount of not. Why not just remove any doubt and don't smoke. I heard this report as well today, what a sad thing for the family. I wonder if they knew he was a smoker.

The problem is most people who use marijuana are capable drivers. Even when "under the influence". I'm not saying the average teenager smoking then racing down the street isn't a problem, but most adults, responsible adults know their limit/capabilities. The Cheech & Chong stereotype of "wuwow mannnn" is so wrong and set back the cause for legalization for decades.

Kevin proves people can drive safely under the influence, and he was going pretty fast.

I'd trust a person with THC in their blood from using it hours ago over someone who drinks every night. It all comes down to responsibility, common sense and knowing your individual limit. With all the trouble alcohol causes I can't believe marijuana is still an issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

The problem is most people who use marijuana are capable drivers. Even when "under the influence". I'm not saying the average teenager smoking then racing down the street isn't a problem, but most adults, responsible adults know their limit/capabilities. The Cheech & Chong stereotype of "wuwow mannnn" is so wrong and set back the cause for legalization for decades.

Kevin proves people can drive safely under the influence, and he was going pretty fast.

I'd trust a person with THC in their blood from using it hours ago over someone who drinks every night. It all comes down to responsibility, common sense and knowing your individual limit. With all the trouble alcohol causes I can't believe marijuana is still an issue.

I never really understood the difference it isn't pot is better than alcohol or vice versa its the level of control you meet when being tested. They have established levels in both regards as to safely driving a car, let alone racing. Impaired driving shouldn't matter whether its pot, booze, or prescription drugs, and it would make sense if his levels were so high no charges would be filed. I will guarantee you if he was driving a gasoline truck and you tested positive for pot at any level you wouldn't get hired, or keep your job with regular testing. The wife handles this as one of her job functions where she works. The DOT won't allow it.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Yeah, a drunk driver will run a stop sign. A toker will stop and wait for it to turn green.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Yeah, a drunk driver will run a stop sign. A toker will stop and wait for it to turn green.

LOL you almost snuck that one by me...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

From the video I have seen many times, I would not say the car in front of tony blocked him from avoiding kevin.
Yes kevin was incredibly stupid for doing what he did, I also thing tony did something very stupid as well as I am under the impression he kept his line and tried to send kevin a message using his car.
By no means do I think he meant to hit kevin, just don't think he went out of his way to avoid him.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

a reply to: MarlinGrace

From the video I have seen many times, I would not say the car in front of tony blocked him from avoiding kevin.
Yes kevin was incredibly stupid for doing what he did, I also thing tony did something very stupid as well as I am under the impression he kept his line and tried to send kevin a message using his car.
By no means do I think he meant to hit kevin, just don't think he went out of his way to avoid him.

Sounds like everyone missed their smart pills that day. Things like this shouldn't happen in already dangerous sport.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I do not think anyone neeeds any test to see from the video that his depth perception was impared. Smokers are safe drivers but if you go out on a race track then you will get run over. It is foolish to think anyone hit this guy out of anger. When you drive a hundred it is hard to dodge someone trying to stop your car superman style.

new topics

top topics

join