It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Touching history, the feeling of the past.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hi all,

So I went to the archaeological museum in Mexico city yesterday. I was already there visiting the consulate for some paperwork. My family was with me and since we finished early I figured why not go see the new codexes displayed there.

What a trip. We saw the codexes and I have to say they were awesome. There were a lot of unique ones along with maps and other materials from the post Aztec period. When we were done with those exhibits we moved on to the rest of the museum.

I was really "in the mood" so to speak and was completely immersed in the past. I started to get this desire to touch some exhibits. It was when I entered the Toltec section that I felt this urge the strongest. So I did.

I know the dangers of touching these things. Specifically the dangers of transferring erosive bacteria and oils and the such. I only barely taped the pieces with the tips of my left index and middle finger. Only a few of them which gave me a strong urge anyways.

It was weird. I started feeling funny. At first I felt an overwhelming sense of power and energy. Then an sort of buzz all over. Then a very profound sadness. When I finally left I felt charged and a little closer to true understanding.

I wont go into a list of which statues and Items gave me what feeling. I will say that the sense of power I felt came from the Toltecs. The buzzing feeling from the Olmecs and the sadness from a few Maya exhibits.

I have always studied what I could about the pre-hispanic Americas. I have never felt this though. Touching history is a completely unique experience that transports you to the past in ways I cant describe. I had everything from images pop in my head in such great detail I would have sworn they were something I had seen before in first person, to intense emotions as if I were reading them off someones face myself. The imagination is an incredible thing...

I was just wondering If anyone here who has ever handled ancient items from the past felt something while holding things from the ancient world? Have you ever felt anything while handling items of the past? Anything?

edit on 9 24 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It sounds like you've had a psychic moment there

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Hi tadaman,

Yes, years ago when I was in my early 20s and couldn't be bothered with that sort of thing, I was taken to a museum in Los Angeles that had relics and fragments of stonework from the Mesoamerican ballgame.. I was completely taken by surprise by a whole hall of the stuff just as we were leaving for lunch. I was transfixed and begged to stay while the others had lunch. I touched the stuff as much as I could and it has left impressions on me that have lasted a lifetime.

I'm still obsessed with rubber balls...

To this day I still have weird still-image visions of a ballcourt that sometimes just interrupt my train of thought out of nowhere.

Thanks for sharing your story.

edit on 24-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I visited that museum years ago and it is impressive. I too had creepy feelings in there. There was one statue in particular, I don't remember the name or even which period, but it was a bust with white eyes, very unsettling. It sort of haunts me to this day. That whole area of Mexico City, Chapultepec park, feels powerful.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I too have had a spooky experience once. I was on a vacation trip to Rome. It was a beautify fall day, we were near the Forum, I touched a wall and had a near overwhelming anxiety attack. I have never been their before and I am not of Italian decent as far as I know. Yet, it was like I was couldn't get my breath. I felt a sense of panic, evil, and overwhelming despair.

join