It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raptor gets it's baptism of fire in Syria?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

With the control surfaces and "special" abilities it may have?........Oh yeah.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Things have gotten so good in that department recently.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

I'm sure I wouldn't know. I know Lockheed did a lot of work on both much smaller and much larger versions of the same general planform, which of course descended from the Oxcart family. I'm sure IF one were to change some details improving things like planform alignment and modifying vertical tail to reduce signature, you might have a nice long-range, super-cruise platform for things like Strike and Recce. IF one further enlarged the concept and moved the engines inboard and used methane burning engines, you might have something capable of Mach 5 or so. IF there were a customer looking at such things, I'm sure they would have dusted something like that off seeing as much of the design study has been done decades ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: aholic
a reply to: Jukiodone

I'd be happy you. If you spend enough time out in the desert north and east of LA heading along the Nevada state line and separately north of Los Vegas you too will be treated to some interesting things. Seeing a Pegasus drone before it had a name was pretty fun. However it's not all out west - I was once hiking in New Hampshire, slept open out on a knob and witnessed a triangle slowly cruise right past me. I've got lots of stories!

Boomer, any friends from the 157th ARW seen anything interesting up there?

Haven't heard anything from them. But I've heard from my buddies at edwards...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

I absolutely love the way you phrased that.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

Things have gotten so good in that department recently.

Is the following photo getting better in terms of configuration and placement of parts?

I know it's a bad Quick and Dirty render...but is this close enough
to the Manta-like craft you've seen, especially with the inward
canted stabilizers?
edit on 2014/9/30 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7

Well I didn't see the top, so to be honest I can't tell you!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

Why does it have be so big I think something like the maveric-microdrone released by elite personnel would be the likely platform to be there before, at the time and after the operational payload release occurred. The trick is to release more than two in the air in a spiraling pattern to mimic nature so when the human target looks up, it discounts it as a threat.

doesn't take a genius...

Humans as a species have been mimicking nature to kill something since they began walking upright!

edit on st1412210724073CDT-0500-05:001PM by subtopia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

Whatever took that was at high altitude, and the optics were WAY too good for something that small.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Can you tell that from the images alone? Or is this based on other intel?!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Maybe your right and the whole justification of these present operations is to test the operational viability of the new platform in that part of the globe.

He who has the most toys wins....

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: gfad

You can tell from the images and video that were released.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Why does everyone think the imagery came from a UAV? Why not a U-2? The image quality is comparable (perhaps even intentionally degraded), and they have been flying a heck of a lot of missions lately.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

Because a UAV makes sense in potentially hostile airspace.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Maybe I'm not getting it but.... How can you tell from the images they're taken at high altitude? Surely good zoom optics from high altitude look similar to low altitude?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gfad

The video matches with other high altitude videos out there. The stills, there's no way to tell.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I'm not saying it was definitely taken from a U-2, but it makes sense based on briefings I have had with regard to the U-2's capabilities. The airplane taking the imagery wouldn't actually have to be flying in "potentially hostile airspace" to get those shots. A lot of people are quick to suspect it might have been some heretofore unknown "black" UAV, but there is no compelling reason why it should have to be. When I hear hoofbeats, I think of horses, not zebras.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

I don't think it was necessarily a black UAV at all, just looking at everything, a UAV makes the most sense to me. It appears that it may have stayed in the area for the strike, to shoot video of it. It went back at least once, etc.

Even staying out of Syrian airspace a U-2 is a fairly vulnerable platform. The entire point of a UAV is to keep from putting pilots in danger. It makes a lot more sense to me that they actually use a UAV for what it was designed for.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

You don't need to start a war to test the viability of a stealthy ISR platform, because..it's stealthy, and ISR, which means, no one can see it and it doesn't have to kill anything. You could fly it over syria or iran any time you wanted (see: RQ-170).

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: quatro

That's actually not entirely correct.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join