It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raptor gets it's baptism of fire in Syria?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

looks like a flying seagull.

how does it even land?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

*dazles grey580 with hand wild hand gestures* .... MAGIC! *poof*
edit on 26-9-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

It's a Cormorant. Launched from a submarine missile tube. It recovers via parachute.
edit on 26-9-2014 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

edit on 26-9-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

Do you remember if it had a strike roll or ISR? I can't remember if Lockmart went anywhere past the weird drawings.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

ISR mostly. Was to use LOCASS in strike roles. Support for spec ops was mentioned as a possible role. They built a full scale, full weight mockup and did some release and capture testing with a mock missile tube. Funding dried up and it got very quiet. It still shows up everyonce in awhile at a trade show. Either as an attention getter or an attempt to secure more funding, I'd imagine.

In the meantime, a much smaller demonstrator has actually been launched from a submarine: The XFC

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So gentlemen, why all the "cloak and dagger" insinuation and guessing games here? What is it exactly you think was being used in theater? I love this site and the information contained within, but geez, why not just state what your opinions are with some supporting elements to back it up?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: surfinguru

Because the item in question is not fit for public consumption yet.

So don't expect any much more info.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: surfinguru

Many of us know things, but we like to confirm what we know with other people that know things.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

And many of us prefer to stay out of jail.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A very wise and prudent approach you old wizard!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Thought you guys would like this side note

F-22 Carried US Flag on maiden combat mission into Syria.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

THAT is a great picture. Thank you for sharing. Always love those kinds of details.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: nwtrucker

I'll agree with you that the Russians have better vodka. :wink:

I heard somewhere that chugging a bottle of Vlad is SOP for Russian pilots, confirm or deny?

:-P

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

originally posted by: combatmaster
a reply to: KnightLight

Of course still no one has told me what the heck that silent black triangle was.. I saw it so dang close.

Please, do tell of your story. I would give my left *** to get close to one of those things.

sent you a PM. not sure if this thread fits my experience long ago..

Can you please PM me that too? I'm very interested to hear your story, I've been trying to gather information on what I think you're talking about.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Land?

No one said anything about landing...

*Designer scratches head with pencil*

lol!!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: aholic
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Help me out. I might be able to dig it up.

I wish I could offer more info. All I remember is that it was a video (I think) taken from the ground, in what looked like desert/mountainous terrain, and a black aircraft with a similar profile flew overhead. I remember it having 2 engines and looking very similar to the one figure in that diagram you provided. It was definitely not any aircraft I'm familiar with (although not a wizard, I keep up with these things as best I can, as I have been an aviation enthusiast since before I could walk).

It might be possible to find a thread with the video on ATS, but I haven't been able to locate it, and I wasn't able to find anything similar on youtube.

I'm also fairly certain it wasn't faked, as I have a bit of experience with fx production, 3d compositing, etc.

Wish I could do more. Maybe someone else could identify it if I could just find the damn vid

ETA:

Ok I found part of it. I know I know.... 3rd phase of the moon. But this is not the original footage (I remember the original footage tracked it as it flew over head and you could see the terrain as it flew by the other way). Also, there seems to be sound fx and crap added to this which I don't remember, but that is the first part of the video, and the plane that I thought resembled one of the airframes from your diagram:

edit on 26-9-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

ETA: I guess people are saying it's an RC model? *shrug* I wish I could find the ORIGINAL footage.
edit on 26-9-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

RC model would be my guess as well. That or creative film editing. The craft is composed of different F-18 parts. The fuselage, wings, missile pylons are definately F-18 parts. Definitely not a stealthy planform so 100% not real.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
Thought you guys would like this side note

F-22 Carried US Flag on maiden combat mission into Syria.

Nothing new. We flew flags on just about every combat mission we went on...

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
This may clarify a few things about the raid and why the F-22 was used...

Janes

Basically...

Yes Syria was notified about the raid. we all know that now.

This picture kinda sums it up for us:

This is a F-16CJ carrying AGM-88 HARM's, AIM-120 AMRAAM's, and AIM-9X sidewinders tanking off of a KC-135 (from MacDill AFB) shortly before the raid. So we have our most advanced air to air fighter ever created carrying 1000 pound JDAM's and F-16CJ's supporting the wild weasel and air to air role in case Syria launched aircraft or turned on their missile defense.
From the article:

Asked at that press conference about the posture of Syria's air defences, Lieutenant General William Mayville, the director of operations for the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said: "I won't get into specifically what we know they did, but I think it would be fair to say [they only used] passive radar [last night]."

Besides the F-16CJ's waiting around for Syria's radar to switch from passive to active, how the hell did we know that their radar was passive only all night?

Anyways, an EA-6B was seen on the USS George Bush being prepared for launch along with the F-18's as well. It seems like even though we told Syria about it, they were still worried about them launching weapons or jets at the coalition force.

Also, just to clarify, the first strike happened in three waves with the first being the launch of 47 Tomahawks from the USS Arleigh Burke and the USS Philippine Sea. One interesting note about the launches is that the Arleigh was in the Red Sea and had to launch missiles over Saudi, Jordanian, and Iraqi airspace. The Philippine Sea was in the Persion Gulf so it only had to fire through Iraqi airspace. This could have posed a problem with about 20 tankers circling in northern Iraq for the duration of the air strikes. Its kind of cool to see tomahawks wiz through the sky to their targets. I was in the air about 50 miles south of Baghdad in 2003 during the first launches of tomahawks and stealths. It was really a cool site.

The second wave consisted of the raptors, B-1B's, F-16CJ's, Strike Eagles and some unmanned aircraft joining as well. Then finally the third wave sent the F/A-18's and F-16's in, as well as the other countries aircraft that were participating in the strikes.

Another interesting note, these tomahawks that were fired were the first of their kind to be launched at a target. They can even provide BDA and even loiter while receiving updated targeting information. For a million bucks a pop they better! Here's the link for that: tomahawks

So my assessment is this: If they sent in raptors with F-16CJ's then all they did was get the raptors beak wet. It seems like they were worried about the air defense, yet raptors could have snuck in, dropped its bombs, and snuck out, saving the money that it took to keep the CJ's flying. Dont get me wrong, Im excited that the raptor flew its first combat sortie (well declassified combat sortie), but they could have done this without sending in CJ's and other aircraft like that.

Also, since they sent in stealths and were worried about the air defense, yes the RQ-180 was most likely the jet used to provide all the info they needed. Its flying out of the deid right now so it would make sense that it would be used. Keep in mind, the RQ-180 is a very large aircraft, with a wingspan close to that of the B-2. Its also capable of staying aloft for long periods of time (alledgely) and, this is pure speculation, but i wouldn't be surprised if it carried a few bombs or missiles itself.

Anyway, just my opinion...
edit on 27-9-2014 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2014 by boomer135 because: Because Zaphod is a perfectionist

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join