It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The decline of religion and the last big push?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
Give me a spiritual place where I can meet people beyond duality that want to meet to share spiritual experience/play around with telepathy/synchronicity/Reiki(laying of hand)/learning other tools and I will come.

A priest who sermons about the spiritual nature of what is from quotes from 2000 years ago without any real own reflection do not interest me.

May I ask if you were raised within a certain religion please?

Protestant Christian. Dad always joked that he believed in Thor and Odin and is a person who enjoys life and do not care to much about what comes after.
edit on 24-9-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Give me a spiritual place where I can meet people beyond duality that want to meet to share spiritual experience/play around with telepathy/synchronicity/Reiki(laying of hand)/learning other tools and I will come.

A priest who sermons about the spiritual nature of what is from quotes from 2000 years ago without any real own reflection do not interest me.

Protestant Christian.

And may I ask if you still follow the faith or have you rejected it? If so do you feel that you have rejected religion or simply changed it?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think one main reason behind the decline is the internet (which would be classified as education I guess). So many things were not told to me growing up in Christianity. The internet was not available back in the 80s and 90s so I followed blindly, not asking questions, and not really knowing what questions to ask.....everything was just taken as truth. After straying away in my college years and wanting to get back into it, I started looking into it more deeply and giving it a fair shake. In researching over the net, these things popped up:

-Lack of evidence of Jesus (yes I know about Tacitus, Josephus, Polycarp, etc.)
-Lack of evidence of Apostles
-Lack of evidence of anyone in the Bible really. The only things that can be confirmed are places and kings. Kind of like any myth or movie....take a place and insert your characters
-We have four gospels because Irenaeus said there are four corners of the Earth, so there must be four gospels (this is shortened)
-The gospels don't show up in the literary record until 180 AD, and aren't assigned names until then by Irenaeus.
-Marcions Gospel is first (130-140 AD), then Luke shows up, however Church fathers say it the other way and call him a heretic.
-The flood story is taken from other cultures
-Parts of Psalms are taken from the Hymn to Aten (Egyptian)
-The anonymity of several books, mainly those attributed to Paul
-The forgeries in Josephus by Eusibius
-No evidence of the Exodus ever happening
-Differing stories in the gospels

These are a few of many things I encountered when researching Christianity. There are a whole host of other points; one of which is comparative mythology, which can have a whole topic on its on.

Its kind of crazy that we are even taught innerancy when growing up.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

third world countries that have a difficult time educating the vast majority of their population are also well known for being staunchly religious as a direct result of poor education and general poor living conditions. which would explain why stats in developed regions are lower than stats on a global scale.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

third world countries that have a difficult time educating the vast majority of their population are also well known for being staunchly religious as a direct result of poor education and general poor living conditions. which would explain why stats in developed regions are lower than stats on a global scale.

So given that education is rising slowly in these countries as well as better living standards would you agree that religion will decline at some point in the future globally?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: KidOK
I think one main reason behind the decline is the internet (which would be classified as education I guess). So many things were not told to me growing up in Christianity. The internet was not available back in the 80s and 90s so I followed blindly, not asking questions, and not really knowing what questions to ask.....everything was just taken as truth. After straying away in my college years and wanting to get back into it, I started looking into it more deeply and giving it a fair shake. In researching over the net, these things popped up:

-Lack of evidence of Jesus (yes I know about Tacitus, Josephus, Polycarp, etc.)
-Lack of evidence of Apostles
-Lack of evidence of anyone in the Bible really. The only things that can be confirmed are places and kings. Kind of like any myth or movie....take a place and insert your characters
-We have four gospels because Irenaeus said there are four corners of the Earth, so there must be four gospels (this is shortened)
-The gospels don't show up in the literary record until 180 AD, and aren't assigned names until then by Irenaeus.
-Marcions Gospel is first (130-140 AD), then Luke shows up, however Church fathers say it the other way and call him a heretic.
-The flood story is taken from other cultures
-Parts of Psalms are taken from the Hymn to Aten (Egyptian)
-The anonymity of several books, mainly those attributed to Paul
-The forgeries in Josephus by Eusibius
-No evidence of the Exodus ever happening
-Differing stories in the gospels

These are a few of many things I encountered when researching Christianity. There are a whole host of other points; one of which is comparative mythology, which can have a whole topic on its on.

Its kind of crazy that we are even taught innerancy when growing up.

My partner had exactly the same reaction. After bieng raised within religion and not realising it could be questioned she took a step back in her early 20's and looked at it impartially. After quite a long period of thought she decided that it had no real impact in her life and decided to leave the faith.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Protestant Christian.

And may I ask if you still follow the faith or have you rejected it? If so do you feel that you have rejected religion or simply changed it?

Depends on your definition of rejection. I have tried to follow the golden rule all my life since it is the right thing to do. Had some spiritual experiences that gave me information from the unknown directly. Read Buddha, Jesus, Nanak and Rumi and a little Krishna. Noticed that Jesus also was a blessed one.

Christianity faith is to small for me. Seeing only part of the big picture of what god/divine really did. I see all the blessed ones as soul brothers doing their part at their time.

Jesus teaching I like. Paul I do not trust at all.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Not at ALL, that would be a 'judgement' and You can't get 'there' by having an attachment with what another may 'feel' or 'think'. It reads as if they have rid their Self of an 'ego' ergo, You can't offend them/piss them off. They know NOT to get offended/pissed off at what someOne else says or does, that would be futile..

Again, these are just My opinions.

Remember when Organized Religion™, You know the ones that enjoy the TAX FREE status? Remember they took care of 'charity'? Wasn't that the reasoning behind the tax breaks? Remember going to college to get a good job? Now You get stuck w/a bill for $125k and 32 hrs. at ChinaMart™ because those greedy ba$tard$ won't give You 40 hrs. because then they'd have to provide Insurance...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Not at ALL, that would be a 'judgement' and You can't get 'there' by having an attachment with what another may 'feel' or 'think'. It reads as if they have rid their Self of an 'ego' ergo, You can't offend them/piss them off. They know NOT to get offended/pissed off at what someOne else says or does, that would be futile..

Again, these are just My opinions.

Remember when Organized Religion™, You know the ones that enjoy the TAX FREE status? Remember they took care of 'charity'? Wasn't that the reasoning behind the tax breaks? Remember going to college to get a good job? Now You get stuck w/a bill for $125k and 32 hrs. at ChinaMart™ because those greedy ba$tard$ won't give You 40 hrs. because then they'd have to provide Insurance...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Like I said, those who cannot accept the Bible as God's word must invent things to make these things appear as they did not happen. It does not surprise me. It doesn't change the truth either. In any event, I am quite aware of your rewriting of history, and have many proofs to show otherwise. But what would be the point? The statement made above about prophecy that is being fulfilled before your eyes should be enough.

For some nothing will be enough until it is too late. That is not on my head.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: iSomeone

Like I said, those who cannot accept the Bible as God's word must invent things to make these things appear as they did not happen. It does not surprise me. It doesn't change the truth either. In any event, I am quite aware of your rewriting of history, and have many proofs to show otherwise. But what would be the point? The statement made above about prophecy that is being fulfilled before your eyes should be enough.

If I were to ask you to show me proofs you talk of could you do so without needing me to have any faith or trust. Could you show me empirical evidence to support your belief that we should follow the christian faith.

Please do not take this as sarcasm, I am open to the possibility that you are correct I just need to see evidence to base an opinion on.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Protestant Christian. Dad always joked that he believed in Thor and Odin and is a person who enjoys life and do not care to much about what comes after.

Some people dont care until the day comes. That is a big difference.

If People had taken a step back to look at the society they worship. It would be a Wake up Call for everyone.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
take this however you want

youtu.be...

Did you know all bases have optional religious/church services open to all units on Sundays?

So I know what that is but I am curious as to what you think that is.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So given that education is rising slowly in these countries as well as better living standards would you agree that religion will decline at some point in the future globally?

as long as people wish to continue investing in deities, they will. i imagine the only potential guarantee for the end of religion would be at some evolutionary stage in our progression. then again, perhaps evolution will only serve to bolster the idealistic clay from which we have molded our idols.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

Some people dont care until the day comes. That is a big difference.

If People had taken a step back to look at the society they worship. It would be a Wake up Call for everyone.

That he do not care about what happens to him after he dies do not mean he do not care for the planet and cannot see thru the economic system and the corruption of the politicians. My dad is probably one of the last soul I would worry about when it comes to the golden rule. A perfect example of a atheist that has a spot on moral compass.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

as long as people wish to continue investing in deities, they will. i imagine the only potential guarantee for the end of religion would be at some evolutionary stage in our progression. then again, perhaps evolution will only serve to bolster the idealistic clay from which we have molded our idols.

Thats a reasonable point but I never meant an end to religion, most beliefs will continue in some form. I belive there is still a flat earth society although its numbers have dwindled somewhat.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think the next step is embracing individual views of reality rather than the groupthink and cognitive dissonance that exists in religion (and its contrarian counterparts, such as atheism).

A true revolution in this regard would be a distinct lack of conversion attempts and a focus on learning from someone elses perspective.

Moving past such behavior is inevitable, given enough time and if we don't destroy ourselves. I think zealotry is a social behavior that is not solely relegated to the religious, but all social groups. Something that many people are still learning, as they focus on a single entity as responsible for the negatives of zealotry. Usually the 'other' side, of course.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I think the next step is embracing individual views of reality rather than the groupthink and cognitive dissonance that exists in religion (and its contrarian counterparts, such as atheism).

A true revolution in this regard would be a distinct lack of conversion attempts and a focus on learning from someone elses perspective.

Moving past such behavior is inevitable, given enough time and if we don't destroy ourselves. I think zealotry is a social behavior that is not solely relegated to the religious, but all social groups. Something that many people are still learning, as they focus on a single entity as responsible for the negatives of zealotry. Usually the 'other' side, of course.

So what would your answer to the question in the origional post be. Do you agree or disagree with the premise?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: iSomeone

Well, logical discussion has been tossed out, I see.

I could easily say the same thing in reverse--that some people read way too much into things that may never come to fruition and see them as fact without any true supporting evidence. The difference between you and I is that you call all of the forensic, scientific work a "rewriting of history," but it's quite obvious to anyone not blinded by absolute faith that not everything in the Bible is "history"--it's more like "his story," but it's not historical fact.

Sincerely, I would love to see your proof, but I think that you and I have a different definition of what "proof" actually is, and I would probably be disappointed. See, the thing is, I've done such a vast amount of research over the past few decades to know that religions, especially Christianity and the Old Testament, have borrowed and borrowed and borrowed tales and stories and ideas from prior and coexisting religions, reconstituted the information, and then created their own version. You can choose to accept that the current version is the accurate one because the current version says so, or you equate an experience in your lifetime as "proof" of the religion's veracity, but I simply disagree.

And that's okay. I'm not trying to change your mind, and hopefully you aren't trying to change mine...I don't think either would succeed.

But, really, about that proof...what do you have?
edit on 24-9-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You do not have to leave, the comments had no relation to the discussion anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join