It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video shows Mexican drug lord paying journalists for ‘good press’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
You really have to wonder, regardless of the country, how much of the news that is put out for public consumption is just bought and paid for propaganda ?

An offer they couldn’t refuse?

When contacted by MVS news, both reporters acknowledged it was them on the video, but said they were “forced” to attend the meeting and cooperate with La Tuta because they feared for their lives and the safety of their families.

Diaz and Caballero admitted to accepting money from La Tuta.

“It’s hard to say no to these people,” Caballero told MVS radio host Carmen Aristegui.

However, during the meeting, Diaz and Caballero are also seen asking for additional favors. Diaz requests a new truck and Caballero asks for video cameras worth $6,000.

fusion.net...
The money handoff occurs at the: 22:56 mark

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
They taking a page from the government handbook : how to deal with media whores ..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

In Mexico, as with the "mob" in the US, you play their game or ...well, actually, you don't have any choice. About everybody gets paid off in Mexico. It is the way that society works from the top down and, really, the only way it can sustain itself. But if you want to be honorable to the high standards of your profession, such as law, or journalism, you will have a short life. The Mexican cartels have no problem in sending a SUV or two full of gunmen to mow down those they dislike, be they a police officer or a journalist.

I know of a lawyer in Guadalajara that explained it this way. (I'll paraphrase.) "In the old days, the cartels would come to me and ask for help with their court cases. I had good contacts in government. Eventually, they got so power that they would come to me and tell me how I was going to fix a particular problem they were having with the system or else. I had no choice. But the money is good."

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
You know, the various governments of the World could wipe out every cartel/mafia/criminal enterprise in existence in less than a week. They don't. Ask yourself why.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'd be a little leery of refusing to take money from people like this. I have known people like them in the past and if you say no........it could be dangerous.

Sometimes it is better just to go with the flow.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chronogoblin
You know, the various governments of the World could wipe out every cartel/mafia/criminal enterprise in existence in less than a week. They don't. Ask yourself why.

I have spent many months and years in what some would call third world countries. Corruption is not a monopoly in third world countries; another thing is in many countries everyone knows the cops and officials are corrupt so they just pay the bribes and live their lives....

Once a system becomes corrupt it is very hard to root out the disease ... It is like having to cut your own foot or arm off..if not those of your friends.

It can be done, but it ain't easy, especially when the corruption is so deeply rooted... in some cases it is a way of life even in first world countries at various levels; just hidden better.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Good points, however, I have to disagree slightly. You can't stop all corruption, I am a realist, amongst other things, and realize that some corruption is inevitable. However, you wouldn't have to stop ALL corruption, just kill enough of them, and the rest will stop. Humans are like that. We're hardheaded, but even the most stubborn people will give up eventually if they keep dying in the process. Just look at Vietnam. You simply have to make it less attractive, and most people would walk away. The criminals (I hesitate to call them people) know that most of humanity won't do a damn thing until their own house is on fire, so they do whatever they want. Complacency is their greatest weapon. I believe that was a line from The Count of Monte Cristo, which was a story about corruption in one of it's facets.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

All the news that's fit to buy?

Shows that "News" is not necessarily "truth."

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
To me this isn't a surprise in Italy there is an mafia saying that goes.

We Own the Police and Other areas.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Chronogoblin

Because others will pick right up where they left off?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Chronogoblin

The only time the nations of the world wipe out drug lords was due to the drug lords not playing ball. Look at Manuel Noriega.
edit on 24-9-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

top topics

join