It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's first Mars satellite 'Mangalyaan' enters orbit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

India has successfully put a satellite into orbit around Mars, becoming the fourth country to do so.

The Mangalyaan robotic probe, one of the cheapest interplanetary missions ever, will soon begin work studying the Red Planet's atmosphere.

Only the US, Europe and Russia have previously sent missions to Mars, but India is the first country to succeed on its first attempt.

So now the probe will be testing the atmosphere and taking pictures. Good work India you did it on the first try!

More info: NDTV

edit on 24-9-2014 by Elton because: Because I love you.... Or whatever....

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
*jiggles his head* Very very nice. On the first try, too!

Krishnaspeed this mission.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Obviously India doesn't have more pressing economic concerns than sending a useless piece of expensive crap to mars for no good reason.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Let me guess: you're British?
edit on 24/9/2014 by RationalDespair because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Here's the Wikipedia page on the mission:

en.wikipedia.org... , which lists its five scientific instruments:

Lyman-Alpha Photometer (LAP) – a photometer that measures the relative abundance of deuterium and hydrogen from Lyman-alpha emissions in the upper atmosphere. Measuring the deuterium/hydrogen ratio will allow an estimation of the amount of water loss to outer space.

Methane Sensor For Mars (MSM) – will measure methane in the atmosphere of Mars, if any, and map its sources.

Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA) – is a quadrupole mass analyser capable of analysing the neutral composition of particles in the exosphere.

Thermal Infrared Imaging Spectrometer (TIS) – will measure the temperature and emissivity of the Martian surface, allowing for the mapping of surface composition and mineralogy of Mars.

Mars Colour Camera (MCC) – will provide images in the visual spectrum, providing context for the other instruments.

It is now one of five orbiters currently circling Mars. Maybe today I'll celebrate by having an Indian buffet (any excuse will do). Congrats India!
edit on 24-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hopefully the "Mars curse" won't visit them. Good job.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Congratulations to the Indian space program and best of luck for the rest of the mission.
I wonder what part of the UK's £284m aid budget went toward the project , this orbiter apart from being a great achievement is also a prime example of why our aid to India is being stopped next year.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: RationalDespair

Let me guess: you're British?

No, I'm not. Why would you guess that and why would it matter?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Congratulations to INDIA for making a phenomenal leap in their Space science program development.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wonderful! Exploration of space is truly one of the most amazing endeavors that mankind can pursue. I hope they share their knowledge with the world!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
Obviously India doesn't have more pressing economic concerns than sending a useless piece of expensive crap to mars for no good reason.

What space faring nation has absolutely zero homeless people, and no one who goes hungry? It was also said in the OP that it was the cheapest ever sent, if you cared to read it.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Catacomb

That doesn't make it right though does it?

If those countries with space programs spent those billions improving the lot of the common people wouldn't the world be a much better place to live?

Then once we have sorted our own planet THEN we can explore beyond

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb

If those countries with space programs spent those billions improving the lot of the common people wouldn't the world be a much better place to live?

Billions are already spent on improving the lives of those who are unfortunate, so your argument is already invalid. And, I'm not the kind of person who thinks throwing money in people's faces is the solution to their problems. Elderly, children, veterans, and handicapped, yes, spend all the money you can to take care of them.

The rest can take care of themselves until they are elderly, and their assistance kicks in, which they truly deserve.

Space travel is for all of us, because it heightens our culture (through technological breakthroughs), and expands our scientific minds, and imagination. Mankind is served greatly, by exploring space. The benefits are incalculable.
edit on 24-9-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Catacomb

What space faring nation has absolutely zero homeless people, and no one who goes hungry? It was also said in the OP that it was the cheapest ever sent, if you cared to read it.

I did read it, thank you. It's just that with so many poor and starving citizens, surely a space agency is a silly idea?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Catacomb

originally posted by: johnb

Billions are already spent on improving the lives of those who are unfortunate, so your argument is already invalid.

Incorrect. Billions are spent on foreign aid - that's a vastly different thing to "improving the lives of those who are unfortunate".

Edit: I realise that perhaps you meant domestic policy initiatives and the like, or social welfare. I wanted to mention this, because in case you did mean these - I don't think they count because it's obviously not enough and not well used. All the better reason to stop sending crap to mars and start spending more...here on Earth.

The contempt in your tone when addressing member's perfectly reasonable posts is rather evident and you should be embarrassed.

edit on 24-9-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

The contempt in your tone when addressing member's perfectly reasonable posts is rather evident and you should be embarrassed.

An entity the size of a country can do more than one thing at a time. To think otherwise SHOULD be embarrassing.

see also: false dichotomy

It's a logical fallacy to say "We can only feed the poor - we can't...:"

1) develop infrastructure...we have to feed the poor
2) invest in agriculture...we have to feed the poor
3) educate the populace...we have to feed the poor
4) provide adequate housing and sanitation...we have to feed the poor
5) educate the populace...we have to feed the poor
etc

Feeding the poor is a bull# excuse for doing nothing else. You can ALWAYS do more than one thing, even as an individual. Even Gandhi did more than just feed the poor. A country HAS to look past the bare minimum, or it's doomed never to get past that point. The poor are not the focus of a country's future. Nor are "the children" or "the crippled" or any other group who might need endless support. Yes, you need to address that. But you will never find an end of hungry people. To say you have to wallow about in a stone age mire until every mouth is fed is an appeal to Malthus. The more you feed them, the more you will have, unless you also enact Draconian birth control. That hasn't worked either. Feeding the uneducated jobless hungry poor and ignoring the 'why' just produces more of them. You HAVE to fix the other bits, too. And development of your mental resources and infrastructure is a key point towards progressing to that future.
edit on 24-9-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Congratulations India. All of those Indian kids getting their engineering degrees over here in the States is finally paying off.

As for those arguing against space programs, I fully support them. I feel that some time in the distant future, humans are going to have to leave this rock. Every time a country launches a probe, rover, rocket, space station, space capsule, etc, it's just another step in our knowledge of space travel and exploration. Not to mention all of the new technologies that are a side effect of such research and development.

Could that money be used to better the lives of the poor, fix failing infrastructure, and feed the starving? Of course. However, I would rather see the money come from the pointless wars than take it from a space program that will benefit humans in the long run.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

An entity the size of a country can do more than one thing at a time. To think otherwise SHOULD be embarrassing.

see also: false dichotomy

I would say that starving children is a bit more embarrassing - if not worse.

Spend the money here. Obviously we can't do more than one thing at a time and feeding children should be a priority - thought i does seem more than a few people have theirs backwards.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I would say that starving children is a bit more embarrassing - if not worse.

Having more food might be a priority, but under your plan, you can't do that.

Just feeding poor people and NOTHING ELSE is a path to destruction. Fewer children would be a solution. More development is another. Ignoring development is a fool's choice.

edit on 24-9-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

the Indian space program is employing alot of people..

it will also help inspire the young to aim for something higher..

its not wasted money like you suggest..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join