It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will ET Be Here Soon? NASA Brings Scientists, Theologians Together To Prepare...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
"Look, we found a black lichen" is going to be the announcement. If you're waiting on Nordics or Greys, you've got a long wait.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Arken

I was talking the other day with a friend about how a couple years ago they appointed an ambassador who officially was the man who would greet alien life if they made contact.

With all the civilian space flights coming soon there are gonna be more sightings, beyond our atmosphere. They can't cover that up. So anyone the conversation we were having was I wonder if they will start slowly releasing into or things just like this to try and ease people into it. Sure enough this article came out like 3 or 4 days ago.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's not clear if they are looking for life in general or intelligent life specifically. I think many would just yawn and go back to Angry Birds if they only announced life is out there. Now, if they announce that intelligent life is out there and possibly on their way here, then that would be different. People would stop playing Angry Birds in order to pick up the pizza they ordered. Then they would go home and play Angry Birds and eat pizza.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I don't really understand why so many are worried that everyone is going to freak out if life is discovered on other planets.
Am I missing something? What's the big deal?

Depends on who is the more advanced life. Mother nature and humanity has demonstrated that the smartest and strongest lifeforms controls and takes advantage of the weaker life forms.

If they discover life at the cellular level than that kicks open the door for the possibility of higher advanced lifeforms existing.

If we are more advanced no biggie , shortly we will be poking , prodding , probing , disecting, testing , and possibly eating them in the long run.

If we less advanced then ......

What I don't understand is besides empty hope why people think that Aliens are going to save us from ourselves?
edit on 44930America/ChicagoWed, 24 Sep 2014 08:44:56 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I don't think anyone will panic or need any kind of hand-holding or "OMG my reality tv show was interrupted by a special report" therapy unless they find walking talking thinking breathing type life. Anything short of that *changes channel*

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: audenine
It's not clear if they are looking for life in general or intelligent life specifically. I think many would just yawn and go back to Angry Birds if they only announced life is out there. Now, if they announce that intelligent life is out there and possibly on their way here, then that would be different. People would stop playing Angry Birds in order to pick up the pizza they ordered. Then they would go home and play Angry Birds and eat pizza.

Most people, and most scientist, already are quite convinced that there is intelligent life out there somewhere. This idea for the most part has no real effect on people.

Granted -- I'm sure that confirmation of this idea of intelligent ETs would create a bit more of an effect, but unless we were told that we would be in direct contact with those intelligent ETs real soon, I don't think people would "go nuts" (although there will always be a segment of the population that will).

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Conclusion of this event must be, to provide loads of Prozac to all the world's religious fanatics and extremists alike, who will feel hopelessly stupid.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't think anyone is going to freak out when scientists eventually have evidence that life exists beyond earth. I think most people expect to find some sort of lower level life even in our own solar system.

What would freak people out is if the government came forward and said, yes, intelligent beings from beyond our world have been visiting us for thousands of years, abducting, genetically manipulating, harvesting, experimenting, and interbreeding with a small percentage of our population. In fact, we became aware of this over 50 years ago and because we were unable to do anything about it, made a deal with them to let them continue their "work" covertly in exchange for some of their awesome technology. People aren't going to like that.

So ya, when they discover a few microbes on Mars it might turn a few heads but I wouldn't expect much more of a disclosure than that from the government. For those of you who chose to ignore all of the overwhelming evidence that we have been visited by intelligent beings until the government says it's so, you will never know the truth.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The 1930 radio show was also the trigger to where people found out it could make a lot of money on UFO's and aliens.

That business is live and well today....

edit on 24-9-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

Conclusion of this event must be, to provide loads of Prozac to all the world's religious fanatics and extremists alike, who will feel hopelessly stupid.

I don't know about religious "fanatics", but I can see the idea of intelligent aliens falling in line with the general idea of "God/Creator".

While I'm not necessarily big on the idea of the existence of a God/creator (nor do I necessarily think that this God does NOT exist), I can imagine ways in which the idea of God and the idea of intelligent aliens could co-exist within the same dogma...

...e.g.., God is the supreme creator of all of the universe, having created the universe, we humans, AND the other intelligent ETs that live in the universe.

Like I said, I don't necessarily believe that idea (nor necessarily disbelieve it). However, For those who do have a belief in God, the ideas of "God" and "Intelligent ETs" need not be mutually exclusive ones. There can be both

edit on 9/24/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

A little late with this post but such meetings certainly help making discussions about ET life an even more serious subject in the public (independent of whether actual disclosure will happen or not).

Here my personal take on the topic:

ET civilizations have probably visited us many times over, but they seem to have a principle of limited interaction with humanity. Their role is reduced to observation and covert operations allowing them to remain incognito. We would probably do the same in case we should ever find an extremely inferior race. In the long run, an open interaction bears various risks for the less developed civilization but that discussion alone would be worthy of an own thread.

P.S.: Interesting topic, looking forward to what others have to say ... S&F!
edit on 24-9-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
For those interested, here was my original "heads up" post on this symposium.

Unlike Lee Speigel I didn't wrap it up in tabloid sensationalism.

Here's an excerpt:

I've said I'd keep you updated as to interesting stories, studies, missions and conferences related to Astrobiology a/k/a the hunt for aliens.

Here is an interesting conference due to take place next month which I will be attending with regards to preparing for the day where we definitely know that aliens exist and can point to a point in the sky and say, "there is life there."

Unlike other conferences which are usually just scientists and engineers and filled with scientific papers detailing different findings or previewing new experiments, this one has a broader scope which includes philosophers and theologians.

The idea behind it is to continue the growing dialog between this field and the people and institutions which many people look to when a paradigm shifts (religions).

Also something I have not seen discussed yet here regarding other reasons why theologians are part of this discussion:

I also see value in religious institutions for two reasons:

1) Longevity - They stand the test of time and organizations like the 100 Year Starship organization 100yss.org... have looked at the way they are structured to think about how to create an organization which will last until we have viable means to get to some of these distant worlds.

2) Vatican Observatory is a big player in the astrobiology world and it seems the Vatican is turning some of the money it gets from the flock into scientific instruments so it's really not an (us vs them) thing. They have sponsored several conferences on Astrobiology and are involved in the research into developing the "New Worlds Observer" space telescope which would take pictures of other Earths sometime in the late 2020s early 2030s.

Some relevant videos to this discussion:

NASA update on the search for life in the universe.

Discussions with the US House of Representatives Science Sub-Committee.

edit on 24-9-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Sorry but my people do not want to be revealed to the Human race...until you get rid of these idiot world leaders.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
How ready we are interesting question.
It depends who you are asking
if its the trekker sci fi buff type or a lot of folk on here their reaction would probably be a good one
as long as the off worlders are not a threat.

The deeply religious of most faiths will probably have a meltdown as life elsewhere contradicts a lot of doctrine

the military or nationalistic type will also melt down as they will perceive off world intelligent life as a threat
to security especially if the off worlders have significantly advanced technology

most everyone else either wont care or wont believe it till they meet one

if NASA and by extension the USgov KNOW there is life out there then it can only be drip fed to the
public over a number of years maybe decades starting with a lot of possibles and maybes leading to
single celled life and on up.

i think organising a chosen group from the worlds of science and theology (multi faith) is a good idea
as it allows the idea to be slowly tweaked into doctrines and media.
didn't the pope make a statement about aliens being gods children too or something like that
not long ago this is exactly what i mean. and of course the media already has sci fi TV and film
and a good example of this would be the Stargate franchise and of course the star trek universe.

i think its at least possible we are already in contact with at least one off world species
and the drip feed indoctrination has been ongoing for some time now

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
No. They are already here. The evidence is over-whelming. So is the idea some have that we are "waiting" for them to come when they never will....because they are and always have been right here.

That is the true revelation that everyone ignores. So, y'all keep looking to the sky and waving signs saying "Welcome Space Brothers!".

If they are waiting on anything....its for mankind to wake up and look around. They are here.

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: ?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
well for my money ET is here already, always has been. it's more a matter of will their prescence be confirmed by those that keep the secret ? for those that require such confirmation.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Thanks for your contribution Jade.

I've miss your thread.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Actually, people listening to the broadcast didn't start to panic until the point in the show where the "aliens" started to attack.
You beat me to it, but yes. The majority of the population, upon finding out scientists discovered intelligent life on a distant planet via SETI or whatever, will just say "yeah I already knew it was there" and it won't be any big deal.

However that same majority that is fine with aliens, would have a different reaction if they tuned into a radio broadcast that said the aliens were attacking, so it's not the same thing at all. If that happens, we need more guys like Duke Nukem, not theologians. But if they have technology to travel here from distant stars, we may not have any tech that can effectively defend against theirs. Duke Nukem's RPG is useless against the mothership.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: captainmjp

I agree that people would be disturbed about efforts to conceal the truth. This is in line with human nature which has demonstrated time and again in the face of similar revelations to be much more concerned with what human beings are doing to each other than what other life forms may be doing to humans. The ATS boards are a prime example of this. Not many discussions about the cruelty of humans against animals and their habitats but loads of discussions about humans allegedly conspiring against other humans. We are anthropocentric and egocentric. We'll do ourselves in before ETs get here to clean up the mess.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
If there are faster than light space fairing aliens in our Galaxy then they are here or at least know about us and maybe monitoring.

If we Humans ever are able to warp space and travel trough it we will quickly move out through the galaxy and know what's out there.

Would we an ounce ourselves to lower tech aliens or maybe just hide and watch?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join