It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Created Shape Shifting Metal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Bedlam

I've always enjoyed a good game of Connect The Dots. Although it frequently leads to a sprained brain.

Art often imitates or predicts life. There's an eerily close bit of sci-fi that's tossed in as a gimme in the very first Firefly episode, Serenity, right around 5:35, just before Wash does the "this is a fertile land" scene.

The goop should be silvery, though, not clear.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

What really broke my brain was wrapping it around the idea that when a certain material is put into liquid and then energized, it does something involving loss that isn't supposed to be possible with electricity.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

What really broke my brain was wrapping it around the idea that when a certain material is put into liquid and then energized, it does something involving loss that isn't supposed to be possible with electricity.

If we're talking about something else, "possible" sort of depends on how you look at it.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Yeah after my brain got off crutches I found that out. Possible is pretty much what it chooses it to be.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Neat but so much people here are hyping this up. Its a liquid metal and stays liquid. Now if they managed to make its melting point be a bit higher and have electric conduitity influence it more then it has wider applications but what it is is just a switch or antenna right now. Might be neat in a computer.

a reply to: MystikMushroom

You can make memory metal yourself. Its just a type of alloy metal. I almost did once but didnt get around to it.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
Neat but so much people here are hyping this up. Its a liquid metal and stays liquid.

It's more what it does to solid metal that's the issue, and a lower surface tension is what makes it...better. When you understand why that is, you'll know more than you do.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Reminds me of flight of the navigator.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: Aural
Neat but so much people here are hyping this up. Its a liquid metal and stays liquid.

It's more what it does to solid metal that's the issue, and a lower surface tension is what makes it...better. When you understand why that is, you'll know more than you do.

Why? Does a lower temperature allow one to change the state of matter if cold enough?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Why? Does a lower temperature allow one to change the state of matter if cold enough?

Lower surface tension, not lower temperature.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join